Day hunting out of the truck?

bz_711

WKR
I tell all first timers...don't even waste a second considering backpack hunting your first trip (unless you regularly have spent time backpacking all over the mountains). It's just too much to add on top of an already physically and logistically challenging first hunt.
Set a nice camp...and drive as far as you need to each day to try new areas...Keep inside 2 miles from roads until confidence builds.

It really helps to get a first elk or be with someone that does so you know what you are up against.

I've shot bulls with my bow in 3 different CO units...this year was the farthest packout at maybe 1.25 miles.
My first year my buddy shot a bull...closer to 4 miles in. I learned a ton breaking that bull down and packing it out...one thing I learned is I'd rather not pack a bull elk 4 miles again :)

Good Luck!

Shupe88

WKR
How much water are y'all taking on these day hunts? Are you getting it from the mountain?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shupe88

WKR
Think my bladder is 100 oz capacity, usually plenty enough.

You ever have any problem with it freezing up? I have a camel back style and I've had the hose freeze several times back here at home where I hunt. I will be 2nd rifle season and I figure it will be plenty cold enough to freeze it. Just trying to figure out my water options.

Gerbdog

WKR
You ever have any problem with it freezing up? I have a camel back style and I've had the hose freeze several times back here at home where I hunt. I will be 2nd rifle season and I figure it will be plenty cold enough to freeze it. Just trying to figure out my water options.

yea, the hoses definitely freeze up, try and find an insulated hose, or buy a sleeve for it, but honestly ive had them freeze in the sleeve also.

Caseknife

Lil-Rokslider

Sometimes the coat I wear also covers my pack and the hose, but other than that, yeah, the hose can freeze.

SoDakGuy

Lil-Rokslider
I've done a lot of both and used to think I needed to pack a camp in for some reason. now I find myself excited when knowing I'm truck camping with all sorts of goodies, heat and comfortable sleeping arrangements. Don't get me wrong, if it's needed I'll do it though!

poboy2214

FNG
Made some tentative plans to make my way out west fall 25. Might push to 26 depending on points/draws and all that stuff.

We were talking to a guy who just hunted Colorado this fall and he told us that trying to park, setup a base camp and day hunt from there just wasn't a feasible method of hunting. There were no elk close to the road.

Now, full disclosure, I suck at hunting and I've never been west of the Mississippi but it seems like day hunting like that isn't an entirely impossible venture. It might add to difficulty but 2 "high mileage" individuals hiking miles into the back country unprepared for the challenges of mountain hunting might lead to some pretty ugly outcomes, too.
Backpack hunting is a fad, nowadays you’re just as likely to run into people 6 miles back as you are a mile from your truck. The difference is if you figure out there’s no animals where you backpacked into it’s a lot harder to pick up and move than if you were just hunting from your truck every day. I’m anything but an expert on hunting, but I’ve done the backpack thing and while it is a fun adventure, I won’t do it again for that very reason. I’ll leave the backpacking to summer hiking trips.

3L and I usually drink 2-2.5 liters per day. The places we’ve been haven’t had many good water sources up high.

You definitely want to find one with an insulated sleeve. It keeps it from freezing and keeps it cool on hot days.

Everyone in my group has used these for three seasons and a shit ton of training hikes. The quick disconnect allows me to refill it with a Sawyer quick disconnect without taking it out of the pack.

How much water are y'all taking on these day hunts? Are you getting it from the mountain?

Totally area dependent. Where I hunt there is water in every drainage. That said I usually have a 3 L bladder and a 1 L Nalgene. Most of the time I just fill the Nalgene. If I’m going high (away from water) I’ll fill the bladder too.

ETA also keep in mind hoses of bladders freeze quickly in subzero temps, even with insulation. I quickly moved away from camelbacks during rifle season due to this.

crich

WKR

Yep. If its just cold enough to freeze, insulating it with your pack/puffy helps. Any colder my water sleeps with me in my bag. One year my 3L bladder leaked 2L inside my bag so make sure things are squared away. That sucked.

Shupe88

WKR
3L and I usually drink 2-2.5 liters per day. The places we’ve been haven’t had many good water sources up high.

You definitely want to find one with an insulated sleeve. It keeps it from freezing and keeps it cool on hot days.

Everyone in my group has used these for three seasons and a shit ton of training hikes. The quick disconnect allows me to refill it with a Sawyer quick disconnect without taking it out of the pack.

Appreciate the info!