Day hunting out of the truck?

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
Made some tentative plans to make my way out west fall 25. Might push to 26 depending on points/draws and all that stuff.

We were talking to a guy who just hunted Colorado this fall and he told us that trying to park, setup a base camp and day hunt from there just wasn't a feasible method of hunting. There were no elk close to the road.

Now, full disclosure, I suck at hunting and I've never been west of the Mississippi but it seems like day hunting like that isn't an entirely impossible venture. It might add to difficulty but 2 "high mileage" individuals hiking miles into the back country unprepared for the challenges of mountain hunting might lead to some pretty ugly outcomes, too.

Gerbdog

WKR
I mean... just so you dont hunt any locations i hunt... *cough* Go deep.

If i were a better man i'd tell you truck hunting is a very valid elk hunting method. Bring your hiking boots, but truck camping is luxury compared to backpack camping

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
At my rifle season elk camp, my comfy wood stove heated wall tent is always just a few steps from my truck. I don’t bring horses or an ATV either.

Randle

WKR
I say make your plans for front country hunting and go do it the first year.
1-Day hunt from the truck for a few days then
2-Plan on hiking in a few miles and stay overnight. See how it works out.
Back out to camp and then just
Hunt the rest of your time how you guys decide after trying truck camp and a spike camp

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
I say make your plans for front country hunting and go do it the first year.
1-Day hunt from the truck for a few days then
2-Plan on hiking in a few miles and stay overnight. See how it works out.
Back out to camp and then just
Hunt the rest of your time how you guys decide after trying truck camp and a spike camp
This seems like a super reasonable plan.

I'm already equipped for both styles of camping if I want. I have a large tent and a smaller backpacking style tent. I could run ultra light and use a hammock as well. Or just spike out a tarp shelter.

Having the truck there as "safety" seems pretty wise.

Most of the places I hunt, no matter what direction you walk, you’ll end up at another logging road after about 5 miles.

For the most part, in the 4-5 units I’ve done detailed scouting on, you’re almost never more than 2-3 miles in any direction from a road. Start factoring in ATV trails and it’s less than that.

Only times we considered spiking in was still only 1-2 mile hike but had like 2000’ of elevation.

OP
J

Jpsmith1

Lil-Rokslider
For the most part, in the 4-5 units I’ve done detailed scouting on, you’re almost never more than 2-3 miles in any direction from a road. Start factoring in ATV trails and it’s less than that.

Only times we considered spiking in was still only 1-2 mile hike but had like 2000’ of elevation.
Elevation is my biggest worry.

He was talking camping at 10 and hunting 10,700.

For a flatlander, sounds Like a major suckfest.

big44a4

WKR
Depends where you hunt at. Some places I hunt from truck camp others it is not the smartest choice. Several factors to consider make it an easy call when you’ve been there before or e scouted an area.

Gapmaster

WKR
I wouldn’t try anything but a truck camp on your first hunt. If you’ve never experienced the mountains, then you may need a little wake up call before you invest on equipment that’s needed for backpack hunting. Camp comfortably, enjoy the experience, you’ll learn quickly what you do and don’t want any part of. Good luck

They are animals.
Sure there mite be some most likely scenarios.

But the only thing you can say for sure is that dinosaurs are dead.
And you can't kill one if you don't go.

Anything can happen.

Elk go anywhere they want based on a variety of needs.