Rolling stove pipe

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a seek outside stove and need to burn it in this weekend to get ready for upcoming bear season. I’ve done some digging and see several references to rolling the pipe around pvc, I realize this may be a bit neurotic on my part but want to make sure it comes out as round/perfect as possible as these pipes aren’t cheap and I’ve never rolled one. What diameter pvc do I want for this? Thanks for your help

I did it last fall. I just used broom stick or anything smaller than the pipe diameter itself.

Use gloves to avoid the fingerprints that will burn in (if that bothers you). Roll it inside on carpet because smoother and easier.

Helps to roll with two people and just slide the rings on as soon as ya can and then maneuver the pipe rings up and down the pipe. Just try not to crinkle the pipe as best ya can to avoid “those crinkles”.

After burn in it’s much easier to do it. Especially after a few times.

Here’s another key. Make sure during burn in to try to burn in in a “wind free area” because you likely are doing it as a stand-alone burn in and not in the tent (which supports the pipe). I had a little gust of wind knock over my set up. So ensure it’s wind free. IF you can’t find wind free make sure to tie off the pipe but use old coat hanger or something metal to hold the pipe (I used 550 cord on a pipe ring that burned into the pipe and left a little ugly smudge on the pipe).

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Don't wast your money on a piece of pipe a broom stick works just fine.

Here’s another key. Make sure during burn in to try to burn in in a “wind free area” because you likely are doing it as a stand-alone burn in and not in the tent (which supports the pipe). I had a little gust of wind knock over my set up. So ensure it’s wind free. IF you can’t find wind free make sure to tie off the pipe but use old coat hanger or something metal to hold the pipe (I used 550 cord on a pipe ring that burned into the pipe and left a little ugly smudge on the pipe).

I drove a steel post into the ground a little ways, and then used a piece of wire around the stove pipe to secure it to the post so it couldn't fall over.

Two people needed to roll. One at each end. Both gently roll and work rings down pipe from each end. I did it on the lawn.

I use a ladder and attach a metal loop to hold the pipe while I burned in my latest pipe. 81FD946F-C345-45FD-92AF-8D4CEE7A0D7C.jpeg2CE93956-1181-416C-9541-1C8C778D6EAE.jpeg

Last edited:

madgrad02

WKR
Roll it on an angle starting from one of the corners, no pvc or stick needed... if I can manage to do it solo...
plenty of vids on the interwebs.

Wrench

WKR
Unless you're going to camp in parking lots, you may as well succumb to the fact that the pipe is going to look like you hate it the first time you roll it up in the field.....but it still works fine.

bow puller

Lil-Rokslider
I used a pool noodle and a helper. Then did what Conrad101 did with a ladder. The first few crinkles sting but after that you'll just accept them.

You guys got it right. Crinkles won’t mean much when your sipping whiskey in front of a roaring stove and telling jokes after a hard hunt, and knowing you can sleep a full 8 hours in your tipi before you have to roll out of your toasty bag.

OP
W

Walkstoomuch

Lil-Rokslider
I rolled it up around a closet dowel with my wife's help and then used the ladder method to burn it in. Appreciate the tips

madgrad02

WKR
Just did mine last week as well... about 45 min burn, let it smolder out, then flipped the stove pipe to really burn on both sides of the stove pipe with another 45 min burn. Hopefully good to go.

Attachments

• 20230322_115331.jpg
    20230322_115331.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 21

madgrad02

WKR
Also forgot to mention I didn't need the whole over 7ft+ of stove pipe and my tent (megatarp clone) is only 4ft tall, so cut off ~12" and made a stove baffle... not sure if it's 100% needed, but at least flames aren't shooting directly up and out the stove pipe

Look at my ladder picture. That is a free flowing pipe without a baffle shooting 8 inches of fire out.

When camping, I use a baffle. It’s an extra 5- 10 minutes to setup but it cuts down on flame and sparks to the point of being non existent. Figure it retains substantially more heat and keeps it in the stove verses going up the pipe to heat the mountain air.

madgrad02

WKR
Look at my ladder picture. That is a free flowing pipe without a baffle shooting 8 inches of fire out.

When camping, I use a baffle. It’s an extra 5- 10 minutes to setup but it cuts down on flame and sparks to the point of being non existent. Figure it retains substantially more heat and keeps it in the stove verses going up the pipe to heat the mountain air.
Thought it looked a little flamethrower-esque🤣