Rolled Ankles

ckleeves

WKR
That's exactly why I do not hunt in 8" boots, actually the Clevedales are an exonerated tennis shoe. Grab a pair of 10"--11" quality boots & your feet & ankles will thank you for them when especially sidehilling with serious weight on wet or dry ground! You now have a weak ankle & are in need of superior support, take it from a guy who broke his ankle & now have the need for a 10" minimum high quality boot!

Those tennis shoe type elk hunting shoes are for guys with no injuries & under 50! (grin) Heck anyone can hunt with lesser support if young & no heavy loads!

ElkNut1

ElkNut1

Cevedales are like tennis shoes? The boots I hunt in must be like sandals then.

full draw

FNG
I am not a dr please seek medical advice. My personal experiance was this.

ICE ELEVATION and DONT PUT WEIGHT ON IT.

Once it is 100% healed

Soak it in HOT water and do your alphabet with the now healed foot. 15 minutes
Do barefoot excerisizes to reintroduce mobilty and cardio.A band is good for stretching Bicycling is good for cardio reps low impact endorses it to heal while gaining mobilty
Ice After and compress.

Do this twice a week while limiting putting any weight on it 100 steps per hour. no lifting no ladders nada

as you improve increase your PT as needed if it hurts stop

when the hunt rolls around you can get a low profile brace and a great boot this will lock that bad boy in place for some good hauls and take ranger candy for swelling. at night.

god luck.

How have things healed up?? Did you get an MRI? If you are still experiencing pain/swelling/lack of stability then I would get one and get started on physical therapy and have them provide the best lace up sports brace they can get.

On March 8 I severely rolled my ankle, went to ER which I'm not normally inclined to do and after x-rays they said 'bad sprain'. Well 3 weeks later I get an MRI and have 3 torn ligaments, zero stability. Spent 3 weeks in a boot and 12 weeks after in therapy, just now getting back to running and sports. If I had gone straight to boot I would have minimized the therapy time.

Docs all said I would have been better off with a break that would have healed.

On March 8 I severely rolled my ankle, went to ER which I'm not normally inclined to do and after x-rays they said 'bad sprain'. Well 3 weeks later I get an MRI and have 3 torn ligaments, zero stability.

Had a similar issue. I had my foot stepped on while playing football and figured it was a really bad sprain. I waited 6 months before I finally went to the foot doc. I have learned from experience that ERs and Urgent Care docs could only tell you if it was an obvious break, so I just go straight to the ortho if it's bad enough the I can't stand it (I have a very high pain tolerance). He noticed a wider than normal gap in my foot on the x-ray and had me get an MRI to confirm; I had two torn ligaments on the top of my foot and displacement of several bones; referred to as a Lisfranc Injury and needed surgery to repair. 2 surgeries, 2 months in a cast, 2 months in a boot later it is back to 95% and probably about as good as it's going to get.

iRjz05TjAkMT57C-CE2gRL84T7cwbKgIgaDqLJT1blU=w735-h979-no

sjFS-ry9f8WtWTtQgdko4-PXTYBHFcgoSFWDK-TYF7E=w909-h979-no

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have learned from experience that ERs and Urgent Care docs could only tell you if it was an obvious break, so I just go straight to the ortho if it's bad enough the I can't stand it (I have a very high pain tolerance).

Sometimes the ER docs have a better clue than a general practitioner (especially a military one). 27 years ago I went down in a basketball game after coming down on someone's foot, flying in from the free throw line for a rebound. The ER doc told me all he could do was put it in a splint and that I really needed to see an orthopedic surgeon. Well, being military at the time, I had to go through my general physician first. He xrays it, looks it over, and says "I can take care of this", and puts it in a cast for 6 weeks. After 6 weeks and starting therapy, I knew it was bad.

I demanded a referral to ortho and after an MRI, more xrays, and a bone scan, I was having 5 hours of reconstructive surgery. He said it took him forever just cleaning all the fragments and tiny pieces of bone out of the joint, and then trying to reattach the ligaments.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I have weak ankles and use the following: brace, KT tape (easy to use and lasts for days), Aleve. Meindl Alaskan hunters (10") boot with a lock lace up. Leki trekking poles when packing in/out. I hope your ankle heals quickly. All the best.

OP
Mxracer532
Its been doing fairly well lately, I tried a few different braces and boots and I think its about as good as its going to get now. I packed into camp about 3 weeks ago and had no issues. But its all up in smoke so to speak since my hunt is over as my area is on fire and not going to open during my season. Maybe in another 8 years I will have the tag again......

boom

WKR
My ankle probs went away when my doc showed me a few exercises. Now I trail run and I'm solid. I still roll them occasionally, but I don't get hurt. Before I would be sore for weeks. Be careful wearing a brace for too long. It's counterproductive.