RokStok

You know I've shot and owned some crazy accurate Savage rifles over the years. Their model 12 stainless in .22-250 with a heavy barrel was a fun rifle. Problem is, long term field use (both round count and harsh conditions) with Savages shows why they are priced the way they are.
You mean you don’t like fishing spent brass out of the receiver after trying to eject the casing?

Having been in the same boat with savages, I can’t imagine spending much money on upgrading the stock on one instead of starting with a better platform. I tried for a long time to find a stock for a side release mag 111 I’ve had since I was a kid. Eventually I bought a Tikka and haven’t looked back

Why not get inletted for the CTR bottom by UM?
Didn’t realize I could…though I do recall something being mentioned about that earlier on.

Realistically though I should probably just keep my CTR’s in Bravo’s for the time being and pony up for a Stainless lite in the Rokstock. Makes more sense to have stainless barrel if I’m never going to put a patch of oil through it.

robtattoo

WKR
Didn’t realize I could…though I do recall something being mentioned about that earlier on.

Realistically though I should probably just keep my CTR’s in Bravo’s for the time being and pony up for a Stainless lite in the Rokstock. Makes more sense to have stainless barrel if I’m never going to put a patch of oil through it.

You know a barrel has a hole at both ends, right? 😉😄

ElPollo

WKR
You mean you don’t like fishing spent brass out of the receiver after trying to eject the casing?

Having been in the same boat with savages, I can’t imagine spending much money on upgrading the stock on one instead of starting with a better platform. I tried for a long time to find a stock for a side release mag 111 I’ve had since I was a kid. Eventually I bought a Tikka and haven’t looked back
In the same boat. I bought a Savage when I was a poor college kid and field grunt. Hunted with it for years. It was accurate, but it’s not a rifle worth pouring money into. Bought Tikkas and moved on, but the Savage is still sitting in my safe because what the heck else am I going to do with it.

prm

WKR
All the Savage hate. I have a 10FP in .308 from the early 2000s that it is still the consistently best shooting rifle I’ve owned. That includes a few T3Xs. I would like a better stock for it though.

robtattoo

WKR
Having a thought.....
@Formidilosus @Ryan Avery

I know UM offer their own & I'm pretty sure the stock has been designed around direct fitted rings, but with the radically new comb profile of the Rokstok, do you think Tybee may possibly be some advantage/flexibility offered by a rail & rings?
I took the Mountain Tactical rail off my '06 thinking I'd install them on my .223 when it gets here, specifically to go in the new stock. But then I saw them in stock & ordered another set of Sportsmatch T084s (sorry UM!) and now I'm second guessing myself.

I've tried various risers on various rifle combs in the past & I know that my face shape doesn't need a lot of elevation to position me correctly behind a scope. My initial thinking was that the rise on the Rok would probably put my eye a little high for a low mounted scope & the extra height of the rail would be to my advantage. My face is closer to the shape of Ryan's than the black blob that is Form....

I guess I'll have to try both & see when it gets here, but I was wondering if either of you could offer an opinion.

atmat

WKR
Having a thought.....

I know UM offer their own & I'm pretty sure the stock has been designed around direct fitted rings, but with the radically new comb profile of the Rokstok, do you think Tybee may possibly be some advantage/flexibility offered by a rail & rings?
I took the Mountain Tactical rail off my '06 thinking I'd install them on my .223 when it gets here, specifically to go in the new stock. But then I saw them in stock & ordered another set of Sportsmatch T084s (sorry UM!) and now I'm second guessing myself.

I've tried various risers on various rifle combs in the past & I know that my face shape doesn't need a lot of elevation to position me correctly behind a scope. My initial thinking was that the rise on the Rok would probably put my eye a little high for a low mounted scope & the extra height of the rail would be to my advantage. My face is closer to the shape of Ryan's than the black blob that is Form....

I guess I'll have to try both & see when it gets here, but I was wondering if either of you could offer an opinion.
I know that @Salmon River Solutions just put out a rail that looks great. It’s low profile, so if you need just a little extra height it may be great.

@Unknown Munitions also makes different height rings, as does Sportsmatch. Maybe try a higher one first?

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
All the Savage hate. I have a 10FP in .308 from the early 2000s that it is still the consistently best shooting rifle I’ve owned. That includes a few T3Xs. I would like a better stock for it though.
Wait till they find out the Ruger American guys are lobbying Stocky's for the Rokstok......

I have one, and it shoots great and have not had any problems with it, no ejection issues, and I’m 2700$ into that rifle without an optic, but I have no problem making fun of it, it doesn’t feed great if you aren’t deliberate, it’s not smooth, the trigger is not a problem, but they are not close to a tikka there, and they are fugly… so far it’s been a good enough rifle, it’s easy to shoot and shoots great, but it’s still a savage… savages just have a punchable face

The only problems we’ve had with it in the field is occasional feeding issues with my wife and daughter shooting it prone, it will get rounds stuck if you don’t run the bolt straight and deliberately.

Unknown Munitions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You guys have any thoughts on a flush plug screw for when the Arca plate just in front of the DBM is removed?

I think I would like the option of throwing the rifle on the tripod with a Mini Arca mount, but when I’m doing the bulk of my backpack hunting, it would be removed. I probably will skip the rail though if there’s not any flush plug option.
All you need is 10-32 set screws

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Having a thought.....

I doubt you will have an issue with SM rings.