RokStok

ElPollo

WKR
…otherwise Im not sure why this is even being discussed any longer.
Hey man, I don’t know if the meds haven’t kicked in yet or not. But just in case you haven’t noticed, you’re on an online forum where people come to discuss things.

bmart2622

WKR
Hey man, I don’t know if the meds haven’t kicked in yet or not. But just in case you haven’t noticed, you’re on an online forum where people come to discuss things.
Hey man, I know exactly where Im at, and just so you know I was referring to my suggestion of wanting a 3b contour still being discussed, and I also dont remember asking anyone for advice. The topic was what barrel channels we wanted, I vote 3b, 3b is an option....done!

billoo349

Lil-Rokslider
Does this debate have anything to do with why Tikka does not have a free floated barrel in factory form? At least then the contact is constant.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW ace using Tapatalk

Macintosh

WKR
A 3b is .07” thicker than a tikka Lite. If the “3b contour barrel channel” will have .100” space around it, that’s a .9” diameter barrel channel. (Lite barrel =.630, which is roughly equal to bartlein 2b; 3b is .700+.100 on both sides= .700+.1+.1=.9).

So a lite contour barrel or a bartlein 2b or any standard sporter barrel would have a .135” space on either side in that barrel channel. Thats an RCH more than a 1/8” space. To me thats about absolute maximum from a FUNCTIONAL perspective to avoid getting way too much crap caught between the barrel and jammed into the gap. When your everyday rifle hunt includes lengthy unavoidable sections of THIS, that matters.
IMG_2876.jpeg

A 3b is .07” thicker than a tikka Lite. If the “3b contour barrel channel” will have .100” space around it, that’s a .9” diameter barrel channel. (Lite barrel =.630, which is roughly equal to bartlein 2b; 3b is .700+.100 on both sides= .700+.1+.1=.9).

So a lite contour barrel or a bartlein 2b or any standard sporter barrel would have a .135” space on either side in that barrel channel. Thats an RCH more than a 1/8” space. To me thats about absolute maximum from a FUNCTIONAL perspective to avoid getting way too much crap caught between the barrel and jammed into the gap. When your everyday rifle hunt includes lengthy unavoidable sections of THIS, that matters.
View attachment 625975
I get stuff in the barrel channel regardless, no matter what, but with the bigger gap I can get it out without taking the barreled action out of the stock/chassis. Here on the Oregon coast, there will be debris in every nook and cranny no matter what, and it’s nice to not have to disassemble my rifle to get it out… if it’s a contact issue in the field, I can improvise with a twig or something

At home a q-tip or rubber coated copper wire (depending on what rifle) and a can of compressed air (electronics cleaner compressed air) and it’s like new in very short order

In the past, get litter down in the barrel channel, I’d have to take my stock off if I wanted it out, and if I’m hunting the next morning, can’t shoot the rifle to make sure taking apart and reassembling didn’t change my POI

For your reasons for wanting a small gap is the same reason I want a big ugly gap.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I get stuff in the barrel channel regardless, no matter what, but with the bigger gap I can get it out without taking the barreled action out of the stock/chassis. Here on the Oregon coast, there will be debris in every nook and cranny no matter what, and it’s nice to not have to disassemble my rifle to get it out… if it’s a contact issue in the field, I can improvise with a twig or something

At home a q-tip or rubber coated copper wire (depending on what rifle) and a can of compressed air (electronics cleaner compressed air) and it’s like new in very short order

In the past, get litter down in the barrel channel, I’d have to take my stock off if I wanted it out, and if I’m hunting the next morning, can’t shoot the rifle to make sure taking apart and reassembling didn’t change my POI

For your reasons for wanting a small gap is the same reason I want a big ugly gap.
I agree.

View attachment 625975

Your camo sucks. I can see you plain as day.

P

astartes

FNG
Haha they should permanently lock the classifieds if your first 10 posts are “subbed”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha though I appreciate the honesty, you could also just contribute meaningfully to a few threads to get the posts.
I don't disagree but I don't know much. Any questions I have were already answered by formidilosus at some point, so I just read everything he posts. Also I want to try to get on the preorder for this stock. Next time I'll add more words lol

Macintosh

WKR

@roosiebull @Marbles Its not “stuff” or debris Im worried about, thats easy to deal with. Its when the entire branch that gets caught in the barrel channel is still attached to the tree, causing an in-the-moment requirement to untangle, break it off, etc—repeatedly— all while you are trying to sneak to within feet of a bedded buck in all that crap^^. Never again. I get that not everyone hunts in the same sort of stuff—I am quite certain people would understand better if they did it much—but its simply bullsh!£ that this is about aesthetics over function. Its not, and while maybe in other parts of the country this is a niche use-case, where I mainly hunt an overly large barrel channel simply has real functional drawbacks. I dont think this stock is made for that use-case, but even if they arent purpose built for it, in a pinch I do like to be able to at least use any of my guns for more or less any type of hunting I do.

In any case, if a 3b is the smallest contour AND its to have a gap larger than the .1” form mentioned as minimum, I’m out. At a .1” gap on a 3b thats passable. Barely.

Last edited:

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
@roosiebull @Marbles Its not “stuff” or debris Im worried about, thats easy to deal with. Its when the entire branch that gets caught in the barrel channel is still attached to the tree, causing an in-the-moment requirement to untangle, break it off, etc—repeatedly— all while you are trying to sneak to within feet of a bedded buck in all that crap^^. Never again. I get that not everyone hunts in the same sort of stuff—I am quite certain people would understand better if they did it much—but its simply bullsh!£ that this is about aesthetics over function. Its not, and while maybe in other parts of the country this is a niche use-case, where I mainly hunt an overly large barrel channel simply has real functional drawbacks. I dont think this stock is made for that use-case, but even if they arent purpose built for it, in a pinch I do like to be able to at least use any of my guns for more or less any type of hunting I do.
Ever hunt SE AK second growth?

Honestly, I can see the ground in the picture you posted, so would not consider that thick. Thick is when I cannot see my own feet, that is frequently mixed with deadfall and crawling over, under, or between deadfall is required. That deadfall usually has trees and bushes growing out of it.

I'm pretty sure @roosiebull hunts PNW rainforest.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Hey man, I know exactly where Im at, and just so you know I was referring to my suggestion of wanting a 3b contour still being discussed, and I also dont remember asking anyone for advice. The topic was what barrel channels we wanted, I vote 3b, 3b is an option....done!
You’ll never learn if you don’t ask for advice. I taught shooting, guided, and actually got paid to shoot rifles… I’m still learning every day.

You are/were given solid advice on limiting a variable that can and does cause field issues. It would be in your interest to apply and learn instead of being like I used to be (stubborn and set in my ways because what I was doing “worked”).