Rokslide special target ammo?

TheCougar

WKR
are there any recommendations for reasonably priced 223 target ammo for out to 600 yards? Ammoseek has some Norma Golden Target 77SMK, but I don’t know if it shoots or not. There is also some Fiocchi Exacta Match, and some PMC for a decent price. I’d like to stick to heavier bullets, as my range goes out to 600 and the 55s and 69s apparently don’t do as hot past 400.

sconnieVLP

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had good experiences with the AAC 77gr OTM from PSA. It’s their in-house SMK equivalent and has been going for $.55-.65 cpr depending on if you catch it as a Daily Deal or not.

Waiting on the 75gr Black Tip to come back into stock, want to give that a try as well.

ETA:

I haven’t tried the Norma 77gr, but I have shot a fair bit of their 130gr GT 6.5CM and that’s been a solid performer as well.

My norma 6.5 does well, I would try it. I’ve been mostly shooting 77gr imi razorcore with solid results and looking at the PSA 77 offerings that are about 60cpr

Turkeytider

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting your experience with 69 grain bullets. Probably my Savage 12 LRPV`s favorite to 500 ( hence it`s my favorite as well! ) is a 69 SMK.

Hnthrdr

WKR
My RRS really liked the hornady black 75grn hpbt’s went from shooting 2.5inches at 100 yards with 55grn FMJ’s to .75 inches or better with the hornady black

The hornady 73 grain ELDs shot as good as anything factory for me. Used to be available for around $0.95/ea online.

ADI 55 SBK shoot great but wouldn't be my first choice for out to 600 yards.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
The hornady 73 grain ELDs shot as good as anything factory for me. Used to be available for around $0.95/ea online.

ADI 55 SBK shoot great but wouldn't be my first choice for out to 600 yards.
I haven't been able to find those for less than $1 per round. I'm hoping to find something cheap that works for practice ammo until I get around to starting reloading. I bought the components and then ran out of time. Right now I can get the Hornady Black 75BTHP and Norma Golden Target 77SMK for less than $.80 per round. The Hornady 73ELDX is somewhere north of $1.10 at the moment.

Hnthrdr

WKR
I haven't been able to find those for less than $1 per round. I'm hoping to find something cheap that works for practice ammo until I get around to starting reloading. I bought the components and then ran out of time. Right now I can get the Hornady Black 75BTHP and Norma Golden Target 77SMK for less than $.80 per round. The Hornady 73ELDX is somewhere north of $1.10 at the moment.
This is my experience which led to the hornady black, I’ll give the eld-m a try if it can find for a dollar a round

are there any recommendations for reasonably priced 223 target ammo for out to 600 yards? Ammoseek has some Norma Golden Target 77SMK, but I don’t know if it shoots or not. There is also some Fiocchi Exacta Match, and some PMC for a decent price. I’d like to stick to heavier bullets, as my range goes out to 600 and the 55s and 69s apparently don’t do as hot past 400.
I just ordered 500rds of the Norma golden target 77smk. I'm confident that it will shoot great.

Pretty much everything I've shot from norma has been really good ammo; accurate, clean, good brass, and consistent.

I ordered from kir, $399 free shipping and no tax so win win. Super fast shipping too.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I just ordered 500rds of the Norma golden target 77smk. I'm confident that it will shoot great.

Pretty much everything I've shot from norma has been really good ammo; accurate, clean, good brass, and consistent.

I ordered from kir, $399 free shipping and no tax so win win. Super fast shipping too.
Please report back and let us know how it shoots!

Lawnboi

WKR
I would re evaluate your requirements. Nothing in a short barrel 223 does hot past 400 yards in any real conditions. The adi ammo and 73eld has been the best Iv shot for factory. 223 excels at closer range practice and is great for longer, but it becomes a more picky and less forgiving cartridge fast. Just some food for thought.

Most mag fed 75-77s fired from a 223 at 600 yards are moving .2mil per mile an hour of wind. One single MPH is moving you 2 clicks. Your plus or minus 3-5mph wind hold quickly becomes a miss on a half mil target. Depending on target size this can cause frustration and the thought that your ammo is junk. When testing myself I prefer to do so at distances I can reliably hit the target size I choose.

Do you plan to reload? If so the ADI ammo is worth the price just for the brass. 55bk/69smk for a 400 yard practice bullet isn’t all that bad either.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I would re evaluate your requirements. Nothing in a short barrel 223 does hot past 400 yards in any real conditions. The adi ammo and 73eld has been the best Iv shot for factory. 223 excels at closer range practice and is great for longer, but it becomes a more picky and less forgiving cartridge fast. Just some food for thought.

Most mag fed 75-77s fired from a 223 at 600 yards are moving .2mil per mile an hour of wind. One single MPH is moving you 2 clicks. Your plus or minus 3-5mph wind hold quickly becomes a miss on a half mil target. Depending on target size this can cause frustration and the thought that your ammo is junk. When testing myself I prefer to do so at distances I can reliably hit the target size I choose.

Do you plan to reload? If so the ADI ammo is worth the price just for the brass. 55bk/69smk for a 400 yard practice bullet isn’t all that bad either.
I do plan on reloading, but I’ve hit a pay wall and a time one too. I bought the components, but not the equipment. At this point I’m hoping to start reloading next winter, and get some bulk target ammo this year to practice with. My expectations are 1.5MOA. I was hoping I could hold that, no wind, out to about 600. Is that unrealistic? I know the 223 hurts in the winds, but I am hoping that will grow my wind call accuracy. I don’t have what Form calls “novel” environments. I have 2 ranges that go out to 600, one is in a small canyon and the other is fairly open. It’s what I’ve got. I get those results consistently with my other two rifles using ELDX factory rounds, but those cartridges are much more forgiving for winds.

If anyone has shot the norma over a chrono I’d love to know what they are seeing, I’ve read some posts that it’s a bit slower than blackhills/imi and I’m trying to decide what to buy for my next case.

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I do plan on reloading, but I’ve hit a pay wall and a time one too. I bought the components, but not the equipment. At this point I’m hoping to start reloading next winter, and get some bulk target ammo this year to practice with. My expectations are 1.5MOA. I was hoping I could hold that, no wind, out to about 600. Is that unrealistic? I know the 223 hurts in the winds, but I am hoping that will grow my wind call accuracy. I don’t have what Form calls “novel” environments. I have 2 ranges that go out to 600, one is in a small canyon and the other is fairly open. It’s what I’ve got. I get those results consistently with my other two rifles using ELDX factory rounds, but those cartridges are much more forgiving for winds.
I should also add if Norma or Hornady has better brass, that’s also a consideration. But consistency is #1

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
If anyone has shot the norma over a chrono I’d love to know what they are seeing, I’ve read some posts that it’s a bit slower than blackhills/imi and I’m trying to decide what to buy for my next case.
Are you able to get BH for even close to the Norma price?!? I’ll take a PM if so! I’ve heard nothing by good things, and that ammo is either impossible to find or really expensive.

Are you able to get BH for even close to the Norma price?!? I’ll take a PM if so! I’ve heard nothing by good things, and that ammo is either impossible to find or really expensive.
It’s less about I could just shoot blackhills as it is I want cheaper practice ammo that has more consistent dope, the imi is loaded pretty hot more like blackhills I think

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
I would suggest looking at the hornady frontier 75 grain bthp. It's been very accurate and consistent out of my 223 ctr.
You can usually get it anywhere from $15.99 to $17.99 a box. It is what I use for practice shooting.Screenshot_20240318_081625_Chrome.jpg

Randy

OP
TheCougar

TheCougar

WKR
I would suggest looking at the hornady frontier 75 grain bthp. It's been very accurate and consistent out of my 223 ctr.
You can usually get it anywhere from $15.99 to $17.99 a box. It is what I use for practice shooting.View attachment 688681

Randy
I have a box of that and a 2 boxes of the black. I’m trying to wait for a can and a Rokstok to start shooting. My patience is waning…