Best, Available 6.5 CM Ammo

Hoping to get out and start shooting my Tikka T3X Superlite in the next 2-3 weeks, so the search for ammo has begun. I have some thoughts/questions and I'm interested to get some opinions. I'm planning to buy whatever ammo I can find, cheaper the better, to just put some rounds down the barrel to start breaking it in and help with velocities before I start shooting/finding my hunting ammo of choice and zeroing and getting familiar with it.

Midway has 3 options in stock for 6.5 CM ammo -- Hornady Varmint Express 95 grain, Berger Match 153.5 grain, and Sako Powerhead Blade 120 grain, so options are limited. I do not reload and I am thinking consistency is my top priority, which is something reloaders are able to sort out for themselves. So are match grade ammos going to work better than hunting-focused ammos for repeatable velocities and ballistics? It appears that there are some options on AmmoSeek for 140 and 147 grain ELDM, thought I haven't gone too far down the rabbit hole of actually trying to purchase from individual vendors. I know ELDX is popular in 6.5 CM, but I read some threads with individual dudes' ballistics data that supports it does its job well when it hits the target but it might not be the most consistent especially with a lot of up and down variability on the range (elevation variation? not sure what to call that.)

Obviously match ammo is not necessarily designed to optimize the projectile killing an animal, they are designed to optimize hitting a target, but just a quick google of "hunting with match ammo" turns back a lot of results where guys say they don't hesitate to hunt with match ammo depending on the application. Any thoughts here on that? This is for pigs, goats, and axis deer hunting in the next 3 years in Hawaii. I intend to find an ammo of choice in the next 3 months and buying up as many boxes as I can find to take with me out there as anything that's hard to find here is impossible to find in Hawaii.

h2so4

WKR
The 147gr ELD-M you mentioned is a great way to go. I'd suggest ordering a little more than you think you'll need.

If you can find it, Hornady Precision Hunter or Black Hills Gold would be great options in 143gr ELD-X.

Alternatively, for right now, SGAmmo and Kosher Surplus have some cheaper options to get shooting.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
I was going to recommend buying direct from Federal as their stock is always refreshing. However, I looked into their shipping and they don’t ship to Hawaii. I then looked to see if you could have a friend buy it and then ship personally to you in Hawaii, and UPS doesn’t ship from CONUS to Hawaii or Alaska - only Intra-Alaska and Intra-Hawaii. With that knowledge, any shipping might be a serious problem. Have you bought Ammo online to ship to Hawaii before for other guns? Surely there’s got to be a way.

Edit: reread your post and it doesn’t sound like you live in Hawaii? Just hunt Hawaii? If you’re in the CONUS, I stand with Federal. They have trophy copper, terminal ascent, and swift scirocco in stock right now. It does take a good 2-3 weeks to get your order though.

Edit 2: to answer your original question, I don’t shoot 6.5, but the Terminal Ascent that federal has in stock worked for me this past season. 2/2 on running under 50 yards after impact.

awasome

Lil-Rokslider
When I got my 6.5cm I shot Hornady 143gr PH ELD-X, Federal Fusion 140gr, Norma Whitetail 140gr, and S&B 130gr. The Hornady 143gr PH-ELDX and the Norma Whitetail 140gr shot the best, the other two groupings were all over the place.

My Tikka Superlite was fairly slow, about 100fps on average from other guns shooting the same load. Hornady 140ELDM has been the most accurate load topping even handloads. I would find three boxes sight in and hunt with it unless you are going for elk.

I just picked up 200 rds of sako 136gr from euro optic. All from the same batch. I wouldn't hesitate to use match ammo on the game you're describing. Check out gun.deals and you can find the cheapest options online.

Lawnboi

WKR
Fwiw, if you buy the Berger guys will buy the brass (which is Lapua, best brass avaliable) for 50 cents plus a case after you fire it from a bolt action like the tikka.

So if you want to shoot that can be a more economical way. That and if you want to reload you already have the most expensive component

If I were you I’d buy as Much of Hornady match 140 eldm ammo you can find and give er hell

Btw, a guy looking to buy factory ammo could max out a card on mile high right now

OP
A
Thanks for all the insights fellas. I got a lot of good leads here to look into in the next couple of days. Another example of this forum being awesome like it already has been this past week for me.

OP
A
Found some Federal American Eagle 120 gr for CHEAP at the local sporting goods store, so I picked up 4 boxes to start plinking and breaking the barrel in hopefully in the next couple weeks. I’ll still be looking for the heavier ELDX or ELDMs to zero and hunt, but no big pressure for that right this second now that I at least have something in hand that shoots.

Val

FNG
Hoping to get out and start shooting my Tikka T3X Superlite in the next 2-3 weeks, so the search for ammo has begun. I have some thoughts/questions and I'm interested to get some opinions. I'm planning to buy whatever ammo I can find, cheaper the better, to just put some rounds down the barrel to start breaking it in and help with velocities before I start shooting/finding my hunting ammo of choice and zeroing and getting familiar with it.

Midway has 3 options in stock for 6.5 CM ammo -- Hornady Varmint Express 95 grain, Berger Match 153.5 grain, and Sako Powerhead Blade 120 grain, so options are limited. I do not reload and I am thinking consistency is my top priority, which is something reloaders are able to sort out for themselves. So are match grade ammos going to work better than hunting-focused ammos for repeatable velocities and ballistics? It appears that there are some options on AmmoSeek for 140 and 147 grain ELDM, thought I haven't gone too far down the rabbit hole of actually trying to purchase from individual vendors. I know ELDX is popular in 6.5 CM, but I read some threads with individual dudes' ballistics data that supports it does its job well when it hits the target but it might not be the most consistent especially with a lot of up and down variability on the range (elevation variation? not sure what to call that.)

Obviously match ammo is not necessarily designed to optimize the projectile killing an animal, they are designed to optimize hitting a target, but just a quick google of "hunting with match ammo" turns back a lot of results where guys say they don't hesitate to hunt with match ammo depending on the application. Any thoughts here on that? This is for pigs, goats, and axis deer hunting in the next 3 years in Hawaii. I intend to find an ammo of choice in the next 3 months and buying up as many boxes as I can find to take with me out there as anything that's hard to find here is impossible to find in Hawaii.
Gunbroker has a decent amount…maybe not at the price you expect but it’s there.

I have recently seen federal terminal ascent on the federal site.. it’s probably my favorite do all bullet (inside 500yds)

I have been pleased with accuracy and performance of that bullet… like a refined partition

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The T3x Superlight is a 1:8 twist so stick in the heavier range. The Hornady 140,143, 147 are going to be some of the best options IMO. Every rifle is different but you should stay around that range due to the twist rate of your barrel.

OP
A
Thanks to a tip from h2so4 I just placed an order for 5 boxes of 140 gr ELDM! Nice, thanks fellas!

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
20 boxes left. This stuff is super accurate in my creed. Plus you get Lapua brass to reload.