Rock Climbing Harness with Climber

Kwandog

FNG
Classified Approved
So I'm in the market for a new climbing harness to use with my climber. I have read a lot of people saying the like to use rock climbing harnesses but I'm wanting some specifics on your system. I know there are other posts out there but most of the comments are by people who saddle hunt. I'm not saddle hunting, I'm using a climber and will typically be standing facing away from the tree while hunting or sitting down, I'm just wanting it to replace a typical tree stand harness.

Are they comfortable for sitting long periods? Is there one that is comfortable for walking in long distances? Do I need a linesman rope or would a rope style tree strap like the one from Hunter Safety System work to clip into the front of the harness? https://huntersafetysystem.com/products/rope-style-treestrap-1

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
Alpine climbing harness are intended to be worn much, and used little. Comfortable to walk in, not great to sit in for a long time.

Big wall harness will have more padding, making them more comfortable to sit in for prolonged periods.

Everything in-between kind of depends.

You should have a chest harness to go with a rock climbing harness. You can use just a webbing loop crossed on you back and going over your shoulders clipped to the front carbineer. (You can also lear to tie a swiss seat, or make a harness from a loop of webbing. You can find a local shop to sew the loop, or just tie a Beer Knot.

Most rock harness lack a rear clip in.

I use a rock climbing harness and really like it. I put it on before I walk in to my treestand. Walked a mile in it this year heading in to my stand. I made my own climbing rope. Actually use two when putting in the stand because ponderosa pines have lots of branches to work around. Leave one attached around the tree and to me then use the other one to go above the branch, around the tree, then back to me. Un clip the carabiner from the lower rope and move up. Once the tree stand is set I attach my long climbing rope with the prussic knot.

OP
K

Kwandog

FNG
Classified Approved
@butcherboy which harness do you have and would the rope strap I pasted into my post work or would you suggest a different setup?

Dbolick

FNG
I bought a cheap black diamond rock climbing harness and like it significantly more than the traditional treestand harnesses that come with a stand. It’s far more comfortable IMO, comfortable to walk in (although it does make a slight bit of noise where it rubs but nothing major), I have it attached to a short linesman’s rope on my tree, I’d suggest a RCH over the traditional harness

N2TRKYS

WKR
I use a rock climbing harness for lock ons and climbing stands. I’ve never seen a reason to walk with a harness on, but you can do it if that’s your thing. It’s very comfortable to wear. You don’t even know you have it on. You definitely don’t want to be hooked to the back of your harness and definitely don’t need a chest harness for it. 🤦‍♂️

I use the Black Diamond Vario Speed harness.

BBob

WKR
Harnesses are a little like boots and packs, they all fit people differently. Most places that sell them have a rope and carabiner hanging so you can try them on and hang in them. Nobody will take them back (safety liability) once they've left the store so make sure it's what you want.

+1 @Marbles

I too highly recomend a chest harness. The vast majority of rock climbing falls these days are planned jumps, with lots of control and rope grabing and that's why using a sit harness only works most of the time (I bet it's almost impossible to find video of a completely unplanned fall). The problem comes in a sudden unplanned fall (the reason why hunters and aid climbers wear harnesses) where the male center of mass, which is well above the belt line, is not kept inline with the harness and rope tension and the faller tips ass over teakettle, risking a head impact or a lengthy inverted hang. The chest harness just keeps the head above the feet.

There's a story in the Creepy Experiences in the Backcountry thread where someone found a guy that had been hanging upside down for a few days. If left alone, he probably would have lived a few more days, but he died within minutes of being righted because his chemistry was all jacked up, and first responders knew he would.

LostArra

WKR
When I originally moved to a rock climbing harness, for practice I set up low in a tree behind my house. I tried to get inverted. Almost impossible if you have your tether length reasonably short. I use a Beal Dynaclip for a tether. Even then, it was easy to upright. I realize body shapes and sizes are different but I'm much safer in the rc harness and shooting my bow in all directions is less encumbered by the harness. (Also, not everyone should be hunting in a tree)

Edit: If you plan to use a linesman's rope with a rock climbing harness be aware that the side gear loops are not usually rated for weight bearing. Some models have rated loops on the side. Mine harness does not have rated side loops but I've still used a linesman's rope while hanging sticks and just tied off in front.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Much prefer a RCH to a regular harness. The important thing imo though is to have a plan for self rescue. With the RCH, you can either hunt off of a rappel length rope or a short tether. If full length, keep an extra carabiner on your RCH so you can rappel using a munter hitch. If you prefer the short tether option, keep a second short tether on you. With it you can make a foot loop using a blakes hitch and can safely and easily come down the tree.

Being connected to the tree so you dont hit the ground is just the first step. Be prepared to get down too. I had a stand cable break last year. The other cable held so it was basically a non-event but it for sure got my attention. I was prepared for getting myself down regardless but saw just how quickly things can go sideways. No warning, just a pop and slight bounce. Took a second to figure out what happened. I though the stand shifted on the tree bark or a piece of bark broke causing the stand to move some. When I spotted the cable that broke in the middle, kinda had a little pucker factor and quickly got off the stand before it completely let go.

OP
K

Kwandog

FNG
Classified Approved
@Btaylor Could you explain the second tether idea a little more or is there a video or something that shows what you are talking about? It sounds like that would definitely be something that I want to have.

OP
K

Kwandog

FNG
Classified Approved
@N2TRKYS would the rope system I posted in my original post work to use for now until I get a little more familiar with the system?

pirogue

WKR
I have a Black Diamond RCH, and use Millenium M50 hand on stands, and sitting long times is very comfortable. You can slide the leg straps, while seated, to be more comfortable. If you just hunt the tree once, just use a tree rope with prusic, clip in and move up as you go. If you hunt the same tree often, you would find it faster to use the long rope and just slide prusic as you go.

I use a Black Diamond harness. It only has one attachment loop in the front. When I clip in standing on the tree stand platform I use a nylon strap that came with the tree stand. On this strap I have a smaller rope tied in a loop that the nylon strap goes through. I have a little longer rope attached to the harness with a carabiner and this is is attached to the small rope with another carabiner. When I climb down I have another rope with a carabiner attached to the prussic knot. I never step onto the platform or off without being clipped into some kind of rope to stop a fall.

Kinda hard to see in the pic but if you zoom in you can see the nylon strap around the tree with rope I use when I stand or sit. Above that is my lifeline rope for climbing up and down. That one has the prussic knot with another carabiner and rope attached to it.

Attachments

• IMG_0608.jpeg
    IMG_0608.jpeg
    668.3 KB · Views: 8