RMNP is awesome

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
I can't wait for wolf packs to become prolific there. Watching Saggy Ear and Billy Molls feed on those elk will drive tourist dollars.

Fowl Play

WKR
Wanted to thank those that mentioned driving Old Fall River Road. The park service website said it was closed for road maintenance, but that wound up not being true. Drove it several times the past couple days. Overall, RMNP has been one of our better family vacations. Always saw elk on that road, and on the last trip up we wound up doing it at night. Incredible amount of wildlife on the road. This was the biggest of about 8 huge bulls that we had to stop for because they were walking in the middle of the road. This pic is out the window as he passed, prob 8 ft from the side of the jeep. Would not intentionally get this close to a 800 lb animal with 12 swords on his head, but not much you can do when backing up puts you off a 2,000 Ft cliff lol

Attachments

• IMG_8734.jpeg
    IMG_8734.jpeg
    153.2 KB · Views: 47

Fowl Play

WKR
Planning to spend 1-2 days there this September on the way to elk camp. Excited to see it for the first time. Any more restaurant recommendations for the wife and I would be appreciated.
Just ate at Bird and Jim. Excellent and worth the money for the food. Wife had two bowls of their bacon and pheasant soup it was so good. Maybe skip the bar unless splurging though, drinks were roughly $20 a pop. I made the bartender happy…

intunegp

WKR
Wanted to thank those that mentioned driving Old Fall River Road. The park service website said it was closed for road maintenance, but that wound up not being true. Drove it several times the past couple days. Overall, RMNP has been one of our better family vacations. Always saw elk on that road, and on the last trip up we wound up doing it at night. Incredible amount of wildlife on the road. This was the biggest of about 8 huge bulls that we had to stop for because they were walking in the middle of the road. This pic is out the window as he passed, prob 8 ft from the side of the jeep. Would not intentionally get this close to a 800 lb animal with 12 swords on his head, but not much you can do when backing up puts you off a 2,000 Ft cliff lol

How was Old Fall River Road...like the condition of the road itself? I've never gone up that way but I'm headed up to the park with my family this weekend. I plan to go up that way and I'm debating whether we're going to drive my Raptor or the wife's Mazda CX-5. Pretty sure we'd be fine in either but I've wondered if the Raptor would be too wide in places. If you were going to drive it again would you rather be in a big truck or a FWD grocery-getter?

Fowl Play

WKR
How was Old Fall River Road...like the condition of the road itself? I've never gone up that way but I'm headed up to the park with my family this weekend. I plan to go up that way and I'm debating whether we're going to drive my Raptor or the wife's Mazda CX-5. Pretty sure we'd be fine in either but I've wondered if the Raptor would be too wide in places. If you were going to drive it again would you rather be in a big truck or a FWD grocery-getter?
Condition was good. You could do it in either. Raptor would be better if it was raining like it is every afternoon. Many of the switchbacks are super tight and may have to do a 3 point turn in the raptor or choose your line wisely. There are some tight areas of the road which may feel hairy, but I bet you'll have 3ft on the cliff side.

intunegp

WKR
Condition was good. You could do it in either. Raptor would be better if it was raining like it is every afternoon. Many of the switchbacks are super tight and may have to do a 3 point turn in the raptor or choose your line wisely. There are some tight areas of the road which may feel hairy, but I bet you'll have 3ft on the cliff side.

Thanks!

intunegp

WKR

Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone comes across it this post in the future.

We took the Raptor up Old Fall River Road and as a novice off-road/4-wheeling driver I did not find any sections to be narrow enough to be sketchy/scary nor did I have to make a 3 point turn for any of the switchbacks. Smooth sailing all the way, and I even had room in most places to pull to the side and let people pass as it seemed most of them were racing to the top rather than sight-seeing.

Unfortunately the only elk we saw were a group of cows and young bulls hanging out right below the alpine visitor's center, but hey better than none. I set up my tripod and binos on the side of the road so we could check them out only to find out moments later there was a spotting scope trained on them inside the visitor's center for everyone to use :ROFLMAO:

Fowl Play

WKR
Just wanted to provide an update in case anyone comes across it this post in the future.

We took the Raptor up Old Fall River Road and as a novice off-road/4-wheeling driver I did not find any sections to be narrow enough to be sketchy/scary nor did I have to make a 3 point turn for any of the switchbacks. Smooth sailing all the way, and I even had room in most places to pull to the side and let people pass as it seemed most of them were racing to the top rather than sight-seeing.

Unfortunately the only elk we saw were a group of cows and young bulls hanging out right below the alpine visitor's center, but hey better than none. I set up my tripod and binos on the side of the road so we could check them out only to find out moments later there was a spotting scope trained on them inside the visitor's center for everyone to use :ROFLMAO:
Nice! Yeah I erred on the side of caution on my statement about the road. Glad it was easy. The whole time I drove up it I was evaluating the road based on driving up it next time with my F350 long bed. Definitely would have had to take a 3 point turn with it on some of the switchbacks, but it also takes a country mile to turn that thing around :ROFLMAO:

Behlftball

Lil-Rokslider
Cool place, you should have seen the elk in Yellowstone in the 90's before the wolves came in

6.5x284

WKR
Cool place, you should have seen the elk in Yellowstone in the 90's before the wolves came in

Still makes me sad thinking about that elk herd. A few years ago the winter count was sub 2,000. Summer herd probably hasn’t broken 18,000 I bet. Still worth the trip though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tspesh

FNG
If you plan to visit RMNP, definitely have a go of Old Fall River Road. It's a one-way dirt road, but you don't need a jeep for it - you will see plenty of regular sedans. It starts at the Alluvial Fans (a great place to stop and enjoy) and then works its way up to the back side of the Alpine Visitor's Center. It hits about a dozen POI's and photo ops along the way. You will see plenty of wildlife and waterfalls as well, and it turns the trip to the visitor's center into a loop instead of an out-and-back so it makes for a great day.

Then eat at Wapiti's in town. Their elk burgers are great!

Best way up OFR is by bike :)

taskswap

WKR
Best way up OFR is by bike :)
I agree, but just for full disclosure this is a 10+ mile 3300' climb. Folks traveling with children, not in great shape, or concerned at all about altitude sickness (especially visitors new to high altitudes) should probably not make this their first trial...