Rimfire Suppressor

JRS3

Lil-Rokslider
I am looking for another rimfire suppressor.
I have a Sparrow and it’s fine but wanting to try another, more current option. I was at the range recently and a fellow shooter had a Dead Air Mask, which I liked, due to the lower first round pop compared to my sparrow. There wasn’t a ton of difference after that but none the less, I would not mind another .22 can. I was petty much sold to get the Mask until I saw that Huxwrx has a new “flow through” suppressor that seems to be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I like that it doesn’t have to be taken apart to clean.

What does “flow though” mean and how should I expect it compare to the Mask and Sparrow based on the specs and claim?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m probably totally wrong but since this is the internet…

I think the flow through stuff helps push gas out the front of the silencer rather than back through the ejection port on semi auto rifles.

Probably not needed on a 22.

TxLite

WKR
I’m probably totally wrong but since this is the internet…

I think the flow through stuff helps push gas out the front of the silencer rather than back through the ejection port on semi auto rifles.

Probably not needed on a 22.
Flow through/ Low back pressure cans are generally pretty loud too.

Op, check out Pewscience for some pretty comprehensive third party nerd data.

For what it’s worth I love my mask and don’t plan on getting a different rimfire can.

dneaster3

FNG
I’ve been considering picking up a Sparrow, so I’m interested in what other options you guys think are better.

Related…
Anyone have experience with these modular cans for rimfire?

wesfromky

WKR
Please expound on this.
OCL is just as quiet, lighter, and since it is all Ti, much easier to clean. Plus, OCL is a pretty cool company. I already had my masks when the released the Ti. If I pick up a third rimfire, it will be the Ti.

I have the Warlock22, don't have any other rimfire to compare it to but I'm happy with it and it's super light. I don't shoot a lot so not terribly worried about longevity.

DisplacedHusky

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Sparrow and love it. Cleaning is a bit of a chore, but you need to be able to clean a rimfire can or it’s quickly going to be an expensive carbon storage device.

I haven’t shot many rimfire suppressors back to back for comparison purposes, but I doubt there is much a difference in performance between popular models when using subsonic ammo.

But if you just want a new suppressor, by all means buy one and report back how they compare.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have a dead air mask 22 and a banish 22.

As much as I dislike silencer central the banish 22 is lighter, easier to clean and just as quiet as the mask 22.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
yeah my first rimfire can is the Otter Creek Lab Ti because of this--especially the cleaning part
OCL is just as quiet, lighter, and since it is all Ti, much easier to clean
22lr is dirtier than centerfire, and I wish for my 22lr can to be as easy to clean as my centerfire cans

i have a rugged oculus that lives on a T1x. i've never even bothered thinking about first round pop. is it louder than other rimfire cans? hell if i know, i used a mask once. it was fine. if i'm shooting two boxes of 50 rounds suppressed and 1% is louder on one shot...? um. even on pistols, i never even bothered. is that rabbit going to come attack you if you miss the first shot and there's a pop?

maybe i'm just confused on all the fuss about that first pop. most of the time my friends and i are "is this gun working?" because we still have ear pro on when shooting a subsonic 22 after blasting suppressed 308s and all you feel is the click of pulling the trigger. all there is to do is grin

waspocrew

WKR
I have a Dead Air Mask and TBAC 22. Both are great and easy to clean. Plenty of great options out there - find one in stock and get it!

Check out the mercy firearms pluto. Its quieter than my rugged oculus and its 2.5oz, its awesome. I also have the micro version

jonpall

Lil-Rokslider
yeah my first rimfire can is the Otter Creek Lab Ti because of this--especially the cleaning part

22lr is dirtier than centerfire, and I wish for my 22lr can to be as easy to clean as my centerfire cans
Have you found the otter creek easy to clean?

Rippey715

FNG
I’ve got a Griffin Resistance 22 can. I run it with the added taper mount blast shield. It’s incredibly quiet.

One thing I would look at in a new can though would be construction material for ease of cleaning.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Please expound on this.
The dead air mask is quiet and Disney have the first round pop if that’s important to you. Its main drawback is that it has stainless steel baffles which take a bit more care to clean than titanium baffles, plus the stainless baffles add ~ 2oz which is going to be ~ 1/3rd more weight than a similar silencer with titanium baffles.

I did clean my mask 22 baffles with CLR but apparently you shouldn’t. I didn’t see any negative effects but I just soaked them for about an hour. With the titanium baffles from my banish 22 I soaked them overnight without a worry.

I like my dead air mask well enough but if I was buying today, I might get something else. You should also look at the TBAC takedown 22, thunderbeast makes awesome silencers, otter creek, apparently is good too.

I have about 3k rounds of all sorts through my banish 22 and it’s been great, the only problem with that silencer is that you have to deal with silencer central to get one. It’s quiet though, full titanium and I believe it’s actually manufactured by Mack brothers.

Bluefish

WKR
I have a nyx mod2. Have only used it on 17 hmr so far. It’s tiny and light. Not Hollywood quiet on the hmr, but I expect that’s due to the size. Need to try it on a regular 22 lr.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a nyx mod2. Have only used it on 17 hmr so far. It’s tiny and light. Not Hollywood quiet on the hmr, but I expect that’s due to the size. Need to try it on a regular 22 lr.
Nothing supersonic is "hollywood quiet" imo.
Supersonic 22 will not sound much different than your hmr Id wager

Bluefish

WKR
Nothing supersonic is "hollywood quiet" imo.
Supersonic 22 will not sound much different than your hmr Id wager
It was still louder than I expected based on other cans on center fires. I found data where someone tested that can at 127 db with 17 hmr. I need to try it on a 22lr and see how it compares. I expect the 17 hmr needs a bigger can to really be quiet.