Rifle minimalists

GaryT1776

FNG
I use to be "that guy" that had a specific gun for every specific perceived "need", but ended up selling off most everything and just kept the "core" items that I actually use / need.

As far has my hunting rifles this includes a CZ455 Stainless (22LR), CZ455 Stainless (22WMR), Tikka T3X Stainless and (308 Win). If I ever make achieve my goal to hunt the western states or Alaska I'll probably add a Winchester Extreme Weather (300WM).

My only shotgun is a Benelli M2 Field (with various barrels for different hunts / uses).

So I guess I'm a minimalist in that I have three hunting rifles and one shotgun.

Rich M

WKR
Ok, it's the off season, and I'm weathered out of work today. :)

A commonly heard phrase on here is "there's never a good reason not to buy another gun". Far be it from me to tell some one how to spend their money, but I was just wondering if there are others on this board who have just a few main rifles and leave it at that.

I own two centerfires and a 22, and the truth is, if I bought another rifle, it would cut into how much I shoot these. Arguably this would lead to being less familiar with the ones I have. Seems like fewer rifles means you can have good optics on them and buy lots of ammo.

With today's bullet technology I think almost all of us could likely get by with one moderate velocity 30 cal or less round for almost everything in North America unless we move into the long range field. If you shoot a lot the reality is probably most of us could get by with a moderate velocity 6-6.5mm. Make it 8-10 lbs total and go kill stuff.

I feel like this shocking confession might get me kicked out of here, lol.
I have 3 hunting rifles. One kicks a lot, one everyone else likes to shoot, and one I like to shoot.

TDawg

FNG
OP - How dare you say that out loud! What if my wife reads this?! It took years to convincer her that I always have a "need" another gun. Shhhhsh! 🤣

Seriously though, that is the way I started as well. Probably because I could not afford many guns. My thought process was to have an all-around rifle for anthing from deer to bear (my .270), an all-around shotgun for ducks, geese turkey, quail, etc (12ga that takes up 3 1/2") and a plinker .22. That is all ai had for years.

But then opportunity starts knocking, and we start looking at more specialized firearms. As an example, I needed a predator gun. The .270 was just too much gun and caused severe pelt damage. So I bought a 22-250. Years later, after sewing up too many holes, I decided I "needed" a better fur gun. Bought a .204. And so the story continues... Now I would have to go count how many guns I have.

I still use those original 3 guns, but my style of hunting/shooting has changed.

By the way, I've only sold two guns in my life. Regreted both of those sales. Would love to have them back. One appreciated in value 10 fold. The other, well it was a tack driver and I really enjoyed shooting it.

Now go tell your wife/girlfriend/ significant other that you learned something new today, and that you "need" another gun. After all, it's for her protection. 😉😉

Hoodie

WKR
I´ve only got one centerfire right now. 20 inch 6.5CM with a 1.5-4x scope. Weighs 6lb 11 oz all up. It´s going to cover elk, deer, and bear this year, from the desert to the jungle. It´s a joy to carry compared to the 10lb rifle it replaced.

Looking to pick up a second here soon to serve as a backup. Probably gonna go with a 7mm Rem Mag just to cover more of the spectrum, though I´m a recoil weenie so I may chicken out and get a .270.

Iḿ a 300 yds and under guy, so the 6.5 doesn´t really limit me, but it´s a lot more suited to where I hunt deer than it is to where I hunt elk.

Both rifles will be cheap ugly synthetic/stainless Savages. The Accustock is a blessing for those of us with T-Rex arms and tight budgets.

Last edited:

Silentstalker

Lil-Rokslider
I can see the fun in having multiple guns but I’m kind of a minimalist. I have 2 rifles. My 22-250 and my .270 win. I also have one shotgun - Winchester SX3, and 1 muzzleloader - CVA Accura MR.

Every weapon I own has a specific purpose and they work well for me. But, looking at my list, I guess I have my share of guns.

83cj-7

WKR
I’m a rifle minimalist for sure. I always have to have a minimal amount of them. 2 dedicated prairie dog rifles, 2 long range varmint rifles, 2 rimfire .22s, 2 big game centerfires. That’s the minimal reasoning that I live by. 😁

TxxAgg

WKR
I've a bad habit of buying and selling, but I typically only have a few in the safe. I am not a true minimalist, but if something doesn't get used it hits the road. That applies to everything around our house.

Dinger

WKR
I stopped messing with guns a few years ago and now have one that does 99% of my hunting duties (Blaser K95). I love the thing and it satisfies every criteria I need for my hunting.

Made things simpler, gave me storage space and more time.

LightFoot

WKR
I stopped messing with guns a few years ago and now have one that does 99% of my hunting duties (Blaser K95). I love the thing and it satisfies every criteria I need for my hunting.

Made things simpler, gave me storage space and more time.
Blaser K95 is a dream gun for me.
Come on, don't hold out... pics?

>>>----JAKE----->

brushape

WKR
I have a good handful of rifles but find myself barely ever shooting all but 1-2 of them. I did spend a good amount of time in the spring to go through and sight in and develop loads for all of them that is something that bothers me about people with a lot of guns that they have never shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hflier

WKR
Based on these posts, I have to admit I have a serious problem lol. When I die my kids (grown now) are open my safe and say holy shit!

Ron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dinger

WKR
Blaser K95 is a dream gun for me.
Come on, don't hold out... pics?

>>>----JAKE----->

Here's a few pics to prove it's no safe queen ;)

Love everything about this gun. Puts meat in the freezer for a family of four + four dogs.

20170425_070335-X4.jpg

i-bZLmKDm-X4.jpg

i-3crzhGF-X4.jpg

i-NMvpwH6-X4.jpg

i-jHW6kJh-X4.jpg

i-zkRsgBP-X4.jpg

DSC01153-X4.jpg

20161109_183917-X4.jpg

20170424_094048-X4.jpg

20170424_130855-X4.jpg

i-QzBZwm2-X4.jpg

JGuest

FNG
I actually started to move in this direction. All the extras and rifles that I "needed" for so long are going to the chopping block.

There are some arms that have a lot of sentimental value that I will keep because it was passed down/given to me by someone important but I'm finally down to two rifles for target/varmint and two for hunting.

I would downsize even more but with the second kid on the way I don't want to let them use my rifle during deer season. I'm selfish like that.

My current meat rifle is a Rem 700 in 6.5 x 55 Swede. Unless I decide to shoot a grizz I'm covered for NA.

Dinger

WKR
What caliber is your Blaser?
It's in 8x57IRS (rimmed 8x57). It usually spits out a 160gr TTSX, 200 NP or something from Woodleigh Bullets. Due to the design of the K95 (it can handle Weatherby pressures) I get fps numbers the same as a bolt gun with 8x57 handloads. And it's capable of shooting smaller groups than I can, if I knuckle down and do my bit 1/2" MoA is there.

20170813_163818-X3.jpg

I have 7x65R barrel on order which will become my go to deer cartridge. The 8mm has some limitations pushing mono's fast enough further out (+200m) to get the impact velocity I prefer. A 7mm 140gr TTSX will cover 100% of the species I chase out to 99% of the distances I shoot.....one gun & one load.

For those that are not familiar with the European cartridges, the 7x65R (7mm - 65mm long - R= Rimmed) came out in 1917, and is identical, bar the rim to the 7x64 Brenneke. The 7x64 is the much older brother to the 280 Rem which hit the streets in 1957. The 7x64, 7x65R and 280 Rem are essentially identical in ballistics.

Like others here, I also buy and sell a little too much. I keep the things I like to hunt with and shoot, I get rid of the rest. I try to avoid redundancy. I would not prefer to own both a 270 and a 30-06, for example. I also only have one relatively small gun safe, and I have no desire to add another.

I sort of wish I had gone the minimalist route, as that’s my nature and what I’ve been moving to in other areas. The issue is, I‘ve never gotten rid of a gun and don’t see any reason to.

I don’t actually dislike any of the guns I have and don’t have any truly “cheap/junk guns”, but if you total up the $ spent and could have it all back and start over, I’d definitely take the “fewer, more expensive” path.

I do agree with having enough overlap that if something happens to one, even if it’s just a hard drop when you’re getting ready in the morning, you can grab something else.

Starting from scratch, I’d probably go with 4 custom rifles, all basically matching aside from colors to make sure you don’t accidentally grab the wrong one. Bonus points for sharing projectiles.

1. 18” lightweight .223 AI, Nightforce ATACR 1-8
2. 24” midweight .22-250 AI (fast twist), Nightforce ATACR 4-20
3. 18” lightweight 7mm-08, Nightforce ATACR 1-8
4. 24” midweight .280 AI, Nightforce ATACR 4-20

Last edited: