Rifle minimalists

deadwolf

WKR
Several years ago I looked in my safe and had about a dozen + rifles staring back at me...now there’s a 6.5 creedmoor, a custom 7 saum, and a Proof 300 PRC on order. Those will cover everything I need to do for my lifetime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lawnboi

WKR
I have a few rifles, but each serves its own purpose.
I do have parts to build another hunting rifle, so I don’t have to fight with my wife when it’s trigger time, but with the component market right now I’m waiting to build it.

That and my 223 turned into a big game rifle last year, never planned on that but I don’t see that changing for deer any time soon.

I have a bit of a tikka problem. All my rifles currently (4) are tikkas. I do have a defiance action ready to be built on.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
In this crowd I’m definitely a rifle minimalist, makes a guy feel good :)

Now when it comes to packs..,,,,,

WCB

WKR
One thing I didn't mention earlier was I get very confused when I guy says something like "my gun broke and now my whole season is wrecked..."

Like WTF you only have one gun? whether it is a shotgun, a rifle, or even a bow....have a back up it'll keep you out of trouble. Now back up women....ehhhh

Maki35

WKR
One of my friends thinks that way... All he owns is a 30-06 bolt gun (hunting), 7.62x39 semi (target), and a shotgun (upland). He said he doesn't need anything else. A gun is just a tool to him. A tool that puts meat on the table. He's not interested in that new rifle on the cover of the magazine. He doesn't care if someone can shoot a mile with their new rig. He's happy/ content with what he has.

I could never be a minimalist.. I'm always adding to my collection.

Last edited:
I was a minimalist most of my working life. I used a .257 Roberts, a old Stevens .22 and my 870 that I bought with truck washing money in high school. They did the trick and never had a reason to change. I fell off that wagon when I semi retired 10 years ago and I may have to buy another safe......

WKR
Ok, it's the off season, and I'm weathered out of work today. :)

A commonly heard phrase on here is "there's never a good reason not to buy another gun". Far be it from me to tell some one how to spend their money, but I was just wondering if there are others on this board who have just a few main rifles and leave it at that.

I own two centerfires and a 22, and the truth is, if I bought another rifle, it would cut into how much I shoot these. Arguably this would lead to being less familiar with the ones I have. Seems like fewer rifles means you can have good optics on them and buy lots of ammo.

With today's bullet technology I think almost all of us could likely get by with one moderate velocity 30 cal or less round for almost everything in North America unless we move into the long range field. If you shoot a lot the reality is probably most of us could get by with a moderate velocity 6-6.5mm. Make it 8-10 lbs total and go kill stuff.

I feel like this shocking confession might get me kicked out of here, lol.
I'm working toward this strategy. I want one hunting gun that I shoot a lot, that will take me from elk to antelope. My m70 300 wsm fits that nicely, and if it were stainless, I'd be done, but it's not.

I have one shotgun.

I also picked up a .223, the Form Special to learn to shoot a rifle much better this year.

So, I'll get another Tikka in either 7 rem mag, 300 wsm, or similar and be done with it, likely with a brake.

But I also inherited my grandpa's remington 721 in 270 and that sure isn't going anywhere...

Form seems to recommend the 6.5c but for some reason, it makes me a little hesitant when hunting elk in grizz country.

Honestly I did not read all the post. It is a hobby just like anything else. My buddy might buy a sxs. I buy guns.

Well, sxs too. I have a problem.

madcalfe

WKR
i only have 1 gun. .300wsm good for everything. wanna shoot varmints load lighter bullets.
im currently doing a custom build in .300wsm. and have my .300wsm ridgeline for sale. Had thoughts about doing a 7saum but was to late and didn't wanna wait on a proof barrel in 284cal
id rather have one nice 10,000$ set up then 10 1000's set ups.

I've throttled back on firearms spending in the last couple of years certainly. Nonetheless, having only one gun sounds like trying do 18 holes of golf with only your putter. You CAN do it. Might not be ideal though.

260madman

WKR
Too many and they all have optics on top. that doesn’t take into account assembled AR uppers ready to go with optics. I could shrink it considerably but having toys is fun for now. Who knows, if I lose my job because of my stroke I could have to sell some and life would be awfully boring come hunting season deciding what to take.

OP
woods89

woods89

WKR
Well, it's obvious from reading through here that I'm in the minority!

I think having a backup to use is not a bad idea. I could sub in either of mine for most of the hunts I do. Mine are a 223 and a 6.5 Creedmoor.

Someone mentioned viewing rifles as tools. This is kind of where my philosophy is going, I think.

This is an interesting conversation!

NEWHunter

Lil-Rokslider
I’ll join the OP in the minority. Got a cross man BB gun for Christmas at around 8 years old. I bought a BAR in 7mm when I turned 12 because I was too short to effectively work a bolt. In high school, mowing lawns paid for a .22 mag and 12 gauge. 25ish years later, those are still the only four guns I own.

I’ve never felt the need to own another one. However, now that my son is starting to hunt I have borrowed my brother’s Sako .243 a few times. I’ll probably try and convince my wife I need to buy that gun for our son.

We don’t spend much money on wants in our household though. Most all of our money is spent on needs or invested. The nice thing about that frugality is in the next few years the wife has given me the OK to “invest” in 80 acres of timber/farmland. The plan is that the 80 will be infested with deer, turkeys, and the occasional black bear.

Honyock

WKR
Put me in the minimalist category for rifles. I haven't come across anything yet that a 12 gauge, 223, 270 or a 300WSM won't kill. Pistols, now that's a different deal.

Rat

FNG
I have many more guns than I NEED, but it's not about need. I only really use 2 or 3 for hunting but I like guns, I don't play golf or have any other expensive hobbies. To me it's sort of like collecting art, they retain their value and are great heirlooms to pass down.