Rich Man's Sport

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Hogs and Nilgai in Texas are both big business. I would love to take a Nilgai - that's the best wild game there is. But I can't find anywhere with reasonable access lol
Hogs in central Ca. are big problem for the farmers, but they are business men and the hogs are another form of income for them. they want the hogs reduced but not gone. I think right now the going price for a two day hunt is a minimum $750, not including tip, and other cost for the trip, lodging, fuel, meals. For me, being those hunts are generally a once year hunt, the cost is not a big deal. The hunt is always for my grandson, I personally never hunt in Ca. anymore. I can't see me spending upwards of $7k or more for any hunt.

Rich M

WKR
I don’t necessarily think we are holding hand, singing together unified but I don’t also don’t think we aren’t. People all have different ideas and preferences and because we disagree on something doesn’t mean we aren’t unified.

Anti hunters will always be better because they have one goal. Hunters don’t. We all have different little niches that we care about.
I’ve had a string of experiences from some very passionate folks who want nothing to ever change. While i understand not wanting change, it is inevitable. Thus, it is better to shape the change then to be shaped by the change.

NDGuy

WKR
If you're from an eastern state and you have too little access to hunting land then your state government is failing you. In Kansas, something like 97% private land, the state has leased over 1 million acres for public hunting. It's not the best, but some of it is very good.

I married a girl who's family farms thousands of acres in central Kansas and I still hunt the public because the farm is for the kids that decided to stay and farm. They kill 190" deer every once in a while too. I privately grumble but I don't publicly complain because I have the WIHA to hunt.
Is your wife or her sister single? 😂

Rob5589

WKR
Hogs in central Ca. are big problem for the farmers, but they are business men and the hogs are another form of income for them. they want the hogs reduced but not gone. I think right now the going price for a two day hunt is a minimum $750, not including tip, and other cost for the trip, lodging, fuel, meals. For me, being those hunts are generally a once year hunt, the cost is not a big deal. The hunt is always for my grandson, I personally never hunt in Ca. anymore. I can't see me spending upwards of $7k or more for any hunt.
Famers complain constantly about crop damage. But turn around and sell a day and half hunt for 800-1500 bucks for a single pig. I guess the damage isn't that bad. 750 would be a "bargain."

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Famers complain constantly about crop damage. But turn around and sell a day and half hunt for 800-1500 bucks for a single pig. I guess the damage isn't that bad. 750 would be a "bargain."
I just got a price from the guide I have hunted with four times in the past. Yes I agree it's a bargain deal. Like I said, first and foremost farmers are business men, they would charge you just to look at their farm if they could find a way.

Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana. A whole pile that don't have huntable populations of elk and Texas, which has game that's unavailable to most people.

Now those states might have a tiny population tucked away in some corner, but that doesn't really count for anything. Along with states I know have them but tags are almost impossible to get and are impossible for non-residents. No NR elk tags in SD, does NE, KS, or OK have nonresident elk tags? ND?

There are really only eight states that have populations of huntable elk. I get there are elk elsewhere and with lottery ticket odds you might get a tag, but there are really 8 serious destinations for elk hunters.
okla has OTC NR elk, bear, pronghorn and deer(WT/MD). no allocation residency restrictions/ percentages

I hunt elk and mule deer in TX and Okla

Last edited:

Fatcamp

WKR
okla has OTC NR elk, bear, pronghorn and deer(WT/MD). no allocation residency restrictions/ percentages

I hunt elk and mule deer in TX and Okla

Are there huntable populations of elk on public lands with tags in OK and TX?

Are there huntable populations of elk on public lands with tags in OK and TX?
yes on both states draw hunts.

Okla public draw hunts are like 80% success on elk with +-400 tags. Private/or non-core public is OTC with harvest quota.

west texas/transpecos area has a bunch of elk, but limited public land outside big bend NP(1million acres). Think Transpecos only has 300k acres of hunt able public but there are elk on all the public land and its free game on any other draw tags, infact its encourage on bunch of them in fact due to big horn conflict. No tag required in TX.

Last edited: