Rhea meat

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
Won a Texas ranch hunt in an auction and I have the option of adding a Rhea to the hunt, it's like an Emu. Wanted to see if anyone has eaten one, and if so is it worth adding for a couple hundred dollars?

glass eye

FNG
Drumsticks only. Ostrich, Rhea, and Emu are all just a big bag of guts, zero breast meat, drumsticks only.
IMG_0189.JPG

tater

WKR
There was an initiative almost thirty years ago for ranchers in Western Canada to diversify into Rhea production. My buddy was dating a girl at the time whose family transitioned to production, and we ate a fair amount of it.

It's a fine grained red meat that i found best ground and used in tacos or lasagnas. Tougher than boot leather un-ground.

Is it great? No. Is it horrible? No.
If i had a chance to smack one and the processed cost came in at around the same as turkey i would do it.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
There was an initiative almost thirty years ago for ranchers in Western Canada to diversify into Rhea production. My buddy was dating a girl at the time whose family transitioned to production, and we ate a fair amount of it.

It's a fine grained red meat that i found best ground and used in tacos or lasagnas. Tougher than boot leather un-ground.

Is it great? No. Is it horrible? No.
If i had a chance to smack one and the processed cost came in at around the same as turkey i would do it.

Looks like I can take one and have it processed for $200...worth it?

FLAK

WKR
Heck Yeah!!! Would make a bunch a Tacos.
And I'd do something Taxidermy-ish with those feets and
a Euro of the skull.

ZackLee

FNG
How do you hunt Rhea? Spot or stalk, or can you call them in? For some reason the idea of calling one in is very entertaining.

OP
Chiro22

Chiro22

Lil-Rokslider
How do you hunt Rhea? Spot or stalk, or can you call them in? For some reason the idea of calling one in is very entertaining.
I have no idea and I'm not even sure if it's rifle or shotgun.