Review coming on the Stone Glacier Cirque "Lite" jacket

can you explain why you prefer the CL over the atom LT? Thanks!
Face fabric of the Cirque Lite is a thinner denier of fabric. In my own personally opinion i felt it released excess heat through the chest, back and arms way better with the Pertex Fabric. I didn’t feel that sticky, sweaty feeling on the fabric like i do with the atom series (my experience with the atom series dates back 9 plus years, both their civilian line up and LEAF line up for work). I’m comparing it to the civilian atom as the LEAF series has an even thicker denier of fabric of the civilian line. So i don’t think that’s a fair comparison.

Next would be the the gridded micro fleece that stone glacier uses. I’m not sure what grid they went with but it’s definitely thinner the heavyweight series by Sitka so it’s not a whole lot of fabric in that area but does the job. The gridded SG vs the arcteryx panel they use is as thick if comparing the square portion but it’s the in between lines that make up the grid that dump a lot of excess heat as well. As that’s a very thin, almost see through denier of fabric. Also the panel of fabric is larger then the atom panel.

Again mind you i was wearing this on an Alberta hunt during a packout with elk. The temperature was hovering around 0 Celsius plus or minus from there and i know from experience i would’ve taken off my atom at that temp due to being to hot. With the cirque i felt content and very surprised.

Take what you will from this as it’s just my own experience

Face fabric of the Cirque Lite is a thinner denier of fabric. In my own personally opinion i felt it released excess heat through the chest, back and arms way better with the Pertex Fabric. I didn’t feel that sticky, sweaty feeling on the fabric like i do with the atom series (my experience with the atom series dates back 9 plus years, both their civilian line up and LEAF line up for work). I’m comparing it to the civilian atom as the LEAF series has an even thicker denier of fabric of the civilian line. So i don’t think that’s a fair comparison.

Next would be the the gridded micro fleece that stone glacier uses. I’m not sure what grid they went with but it’s definitely thinner the heavyweight series by Sitka so it’s not a whole lot of fabric in that area but does the job. The gridded SG vs the arcteryx panel they use is as thick if comparing the square portion but it’s the in between lines that make up the grid that dump a lot of excess heat as well. As that’s a very thin, almost see through denier of fabric. Also the panel of fabric is larger then the atom panel.

Again mind you i was wearing this on an Alberta hunt during a packout with elk. The temperature was hovering around 0 Celsius plus or minus from there and i know from experience i would’ve taken off my atom at that temp due to being to hot. With the cirque i felt content and very surprised.

Take what you will from this as it’s just my own experience
Sitka Heavyweight doesn't breath...neither do my mil waffle tops. I'd never hike in a mid layer. Either a base and maybe a vest or if it's seriously cold/snowy it's a base and a shell with pit zips open.

I love SG, but IMO this is them creating an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.
i think one thing everyone has to keep in mind as well when comparing active insulation is it’s incredibly personal.

There’s so many variables when it comes to one owns body and the heat they emit.

I know guys that would pass out in a packout or patrol with my system that i found worked for me. Where i look at their system and would be miserably cold during it.

Body fat, food, where your sweat ducts are, fitness, etc.. play a huge role in an individual clothing system.

I like the Cirque Lite and felt it filled a hole in my system and i chose it now over the atom and the ambient hoodie.

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
i think one thing everyone has to keep in mind as well when comparing active insulation is it’s incredibly personal.

There’s so many variables when it comes to one owns body and the heat they emit.

I know guys that would pass out in a packout or patrol with my system that i found worked for me. Where i look at their system and would be miserably cold during it.

Body fat, food, where your sweat ducts are, fitness, etc.. play a huge role in an individual clothing system.

I like the Cirque Lite and felt it filled a hole in my system and i chose it now over the atom and the ambient hoodie.
thanks for the replies, appreciate it. So you prefer it over the ambient as well ? I have that as well and have been pretty impressed with it. Not super impressed with the fit of the ambient or the durability of it though.

thanks for the replies, appreciate it. So you prefer it over the ambient as well ? I have that as well and have been pretty impressed with it. Not super impressed with the fit of the ambient or the durability of it though.
I really liked the ambient for weight, dry time and packability. I can see why a lot of people love it for sure. It is pretty cool. But slight wind robbed me of all warmth so I found I had to pack a windshirt to put over that wasn’t a rain jacket.

The first week trip. I had pulled threads everywhere on it. Which I was pretty bummed about, and every moment of going in to any wooded area I found myself thinking the whole time how I can’t let it brush up against anything. I noticed the wear from my hip belt was already wearing into it. Just little things that really made me question durability for what it was.

Mind you this was in the pyrite Color and was a solid so maybe with the camo I wouldn’t have noticed it as much.

I really liked the ambient for weight, dry time and packability. I can see why a lot of people love it for sure. It is pretty cool. But slight wind robbed me of all warmth so I found I had to pack a windshirt to put over that wasn’t a rain jacket.

The first week trip. I had pulled threads everywhere on it. Which I was pretty bummed about, and every moment of going in to any wooded area I found myself thinking the whole time how I can’t let it brush up against anything. I noticed the wear from my hip belt was already wearing into it. Just little things that really made me question durability for what it was.

Mind you this was in the pyrite Color and was a solid so maybe with the camo I wouldn’t have noticed it as much.
yes I prefer it over the ambient hoodie. It fits my system better with my climate and hunting

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Grid fleece shown from inside of current gen Atom LT for reference, much tighter density of the grid. It’s a decently quiet piece and even to my hand I have a hard time telling the difference between the atom and cirque face fabric. Obviously having larger side paneling, the cirque will be more flexible for active use while being a touch less warm. I’d say the current atom LT has the best collar of any jacket I have ever owned, and I’ve had a good few, ha. When it dies, replacement between an atom and cirque may be a tough choice.B71EC2E8-5CCE-40BD-A4F6-51607B9ADD48.jpeg

Mi_fiveo

WKR
Haven't had a chance to test it yet but after receiving it my first impression is that the Cirque Lite will probably replace my lightweight puffy for Sept elk hunting. Seems to pack down similar and I'm sure it will breath better.

sr80

WKR
Grid fleece shown from inside of current gen Atom LT for reference, much tighter density of the grid. It’s a decently quiet piece and even to my hand I have a hard time telling the difference between the atom and cirque face fabric. Obviously having larger side paneling, the cirque will be more flexible for active use while being a touch less warm. I’d say the current atom LT has the best collar of any jacket I have ever owned, and I’ve had a good few, ha. When it dies, replacement between an atom and cirque may be a tough choice.View attachment 512382
love the collar on my atom, and all arcteryx jackets. I dont love the helmet compatible hood though.

sr80

WKR
Ive had the cirque lite out quite a bit since ive got it. I can say i really like it, but i like it more of an outer layer vs a mid layer. I found using it as a mid layer it didnt pull the moisture away as well as i would like, or as well as the ambient does. As mtwarden mentioned in the midlayer shootout. Its been cold in BC this passed week (-15C) ive been wearing a thin synthetic base (OR echo long sleeve), ambient hoody and the cirque lite while snow shoeing. I find that this is a great combo. I think the cirque lite will replace my DH jacket

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think they ever stated exactly what base layers they were wearing. I can tell you that the Core Lightweight (Sitka) dries pretty quickly when wet.

I had that scenario play out for real in the middle of the Bob Marshall Wilderness in March, got swept by a fast moving creek and was soaked up to my neck. I was wearing a Core Lightweight top, I put on an insulating mid-layer and then kicked it into gear, an hour or so of hard hiking had my top almost fully dried.

It's what gave me the idea to include a controlled test of a soaked base layer and the drying ability with different mid-layers https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/mid-layer-shootout-review-updated-2-18-23.266239/

Tombo907

FNG
Exactly why I love my syn base layers
So I've started to run synthetic base layer. Next layer is merino then synthetics mid and outer layers. I've found that the synthetic base helps get the moisture away from my skin. The merino layer helps retain my heat, and the synthetic insulation layers help it evaporate quicker while maintaining heat while wet.