Review coming on the Stone Glacier Cirque "Lite" jacket

woods89

WKR
Canis has a piece that might fit the bill. Alpha grizzly jacket. They claim the back is highly breathable and the front is windproof. I suffer from the same problem. My center back always gets sweaty unless I'm wearing just a base layer up top.
I'll have to check it out.

Edit- No hood, dealbreaker for me......😖

TheTone

WKR
There is a guy who makes, or made, a synthetic puffy with this concept. In my opinion it's too much insulation, though. It does have a removable back. I haven't ever seen one in person so I couldn't speak to it's quality.
I’ll send you a pm

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds interesting! Merino would be a swing and a miss to me with how long it holds moisture, though. In my opinion the material on the back needs to either be nylon windshirt material or mesh.
I moved away from merino a few years ago for this exact reason. I was warm, but I felt like I could never get dry. With synthetic, i do start to smell around 5-6 days in, but it doesn’t bother me. I feel dry or dry quickly even when really sweaty/wet and am still warm.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
Exactly why I love my syn base layers
Thanks for the video! I haven’t seen that one yet. Here’s another great video on synthetic vs merino. At the end, they report everyone’s base layers were dry unless they were wearing merino.

Last edited:

Blandry

WKR
It's interesting how the rewarming drills varied. One was an active drill and the SG was a sedentary drill with external means (food/heat/gear). I think I'd rather just run :)

I also think the SG drill was done at a much lower temp.

I own a lot of SG gear, pack, 0 deg chilkoot, 2p tent, socks, underwear. I still don't have a jacket because I have so much sitka and kuiu but looking hard at this cirque jacket because it fills a niche.

At one time I owned nearly everything they make.. sheesh.. they're growing like crazy! Love SG!

Last edited:

croben

Lil-Rokslider
It's interesting how the rewarming drills varied. One was an active drill and the SG was a sedentary drill with external means (food/heat/gear). I think I'd rather just run :)

I also think the SG drill was done at a much lower temp.

I own a lot of SG gear, pack, 0 deg chilkoot, 2p tent, socks, underwear. I still don't have a jacket because I have so much sitka and kuiu but looking hard at this cirque jacket because it fills a niche.

At one time I owned nearly everything they make.. sheesh.. they're growing like crazy! Love SG!
Yep, two different ways for two very different circumstances in my opinion. If my tent wasn’t already set up and right there, I would for sure be on the move. Even if it was already set up, I would probably consider moving and getting warmed up before jumping in a sleeping bag. I could see how getting water boiling right away and food in your body would greatly help even while moving.

I have been extremely happy with all my SG gear. I’m currently looking at the Cirque Lite jacket. I pretty much always have my down puffy jacket and rain gear with me, but I think Lite would fill the gap for me. Also been looking at the Kuiu 260, which is completely different, but I think it would also be a good mid/outer layer depending on the weather.

Blandry

WKR
I have a 260 strongfleece.. it's a not a 'grid' type fleece. That's why I use other manufacturers grid fleeces for even base layers. I LOVE grid and micro-grid fleece. You can use a good grid fleece from base to puffy imo.

jzeblaz

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 260 strongfleece.. it's a not a 'grid' type fleece. That's why I use other manufacturers grid fleeces for even base layers. I LOVE grid and micro-grid fleece. You can use a good grid fleece from base to puffy imo.
Which grids are you using?

Blandry

WKR
I have first lite klamath (the old version).. I have some off the shelf stuff from beretta (polartec powergrid),
i have sitka heavyweight, which is grid, I have some badlands crap that's falling apart lol but is grid..

I have so much more.. I did have some old kuiu which was grid but sold them..

sacklunch

WKR
I have the cirque, fantastic insulating/outter layer type piece, although a bit heavy, it's certainly has its place.

The Lite version looks intersting, but honestly for the price, if I wants a more active version of the cirque, I'm going with the hooded cirque vest for breathability. And bonus, hooded vests always pair nicely with a mullet for daily wear.

Don't really see the cirque Lite beating the Arcteryx Atom LT for an active piece, but interested to see the results...

I have the cirque, fantastic insulating/outter layer type piece, although a bit heavy, it's certainly has its place.

The Lite version looks intersting, but honestly for the price, if I wants a more active version of the cirque, I'm going with the hooded cirque vest for breathability. And bonus, hooded vests always pair nicely with a mullet for daily wear.

Don't really see the cirque Lite beating the Arcteryx Atom LT for an active piece, but interested to see the results...
I thought the same. Until i used the cirque lite on a January elk hunt. The atom has been replaced

Blandry

WKR
The first three, the large polartec power grid, you want those large fluffy grids.. you can easily see that in the pics. you want those large fluffy grids that exhaust heat and insulate. It's a miracle textile.

Left to right, Sitka heavyweight (my favorite and most durable, I have a lot of these articles), then a beretta polar power grid (as durable, same polartec powergrid) I picked up somewhere cheap much cheaper than sitka and it's been as or more durable, then a badlands (power grid?), then a KUIU 260, a KUIU strongfleece 280 and lastly a first lite original klamath type from maybe 2018-ish? (early powergrid)

Some hold up over hundreds of washes and get better, mainly the powergrid fleece.. the others compress and lose their ability to work as a base/mid layer or fail to breathe like the polar tec power grid.

I'm fairly sure the cirque lite incorporates the power grid.

unnamed (2).jpg

The first three, the large polartec power grid, you want those large fluffy grids.. you can easily see that in the pics. you want those large fluffy grids that exhaust heat and insulate. It's a miracle textile.

Left to right, Sitka heavyweight (my favorite and most durable, I have a lot of these articles), then a beretta polar power grid (as durable, same polartec powergrid) I picked up somewhere cheap much cheaper than sitka and it's been as or more durable, then a badlands (power grid?), then a KUIU 260, a KUIU strongfleece 280 and lastly a first lite original klamath type from maybe 2018-ish? (early powergrid)

Some hold up over hundreds of washes and get better, mainly the powergrid fleece.. the others compress and lose their ability to work as a base/mid layer or fail to breathe like the polar tec power grid.

View attachment 510961
It does incorporate a gridded textile, a generous amount on the side up to the armpit area

Blandry

WKR
Because it has grid fleece layers.. you're basically combining a SUPER breathable layer with an insulated layer..it's genius. Nothing breathes and insulates like a grid fleece

unnamed (2).jpg

Last edited:

sr80

WKR
Because it has grid fleece layers.. you're basically combining a SUPER breathable layer with an insulated layer..it's genius. Nothing breathes and insulates like a grid fleece

View attachment 511726
the atom LT has a super thin and breathable material up the sides and under the armpit as well. Not disagreeing with you at all.. I am just trying to figure out if this cirque lite is better or much different than the atom LT i already own.

sacklunch

WKR

View attachment 510961

View attachment 511726
Sitka Heavyweight doesn't breath...neither do my mil waffle tops. I'd never hike in a mid layer. Either a base and maybe a vest or if it's seriously cold/snowy it's a base and a shell with pit zips open.

I love SG, but IMO this is them creating an answer to a problem that doesn't exist.