Retirement state?

Crusader

WKR
Not Illinois. It sucks. Near the top of the nation for gas prices, property taxes, unconstitutional FOID card, and soon to be more idiotic gun laws in January. Illinois is continuously near the top for people moving out. My youngest graduates high school in 1.5 year. Then my wife and I can look for a place in Missouri.
Come on over to the great state of Missouri, we have lots of room and welcome you. Avoid living in the cities and suburbs and you'll be fine.

Ok so my wife retired in December from active duty military. I am set to push the retirement button from the fire department. We are not staying in Louisiana. Our house just went under contract two days ago and we are grabbing a 5th wheel to be ready to head out.

So the question is..............Which state to pick to have as my new permanent residence? We both hunt and fish and love the outdoors. I have points in Arizona, Colorado, and Montana. So do i make my new homestead in New mexico and just keep playing the points game in the other states as a non-resident or pick colorado or Montana (not too interested in Arizona) and have a good chance at a decent hunt on multiple animals every year or two or three?

Id like to grab some land in Texas and put it there since i love that states stance on a lot of hunting, fishing, 2nd amendment etc etc but that wouldnt really be beneficial for what i plan on doing as a retiree.................HUNT and FISH a lot and year round.

Anyway, any insight or opinions, especially from those that live or have lived in one of these states, would be appreciated.

Thanks
steve
Florida Panhandle might not be the worst place for you. Fishing is top notch, public hunting opportunities are abundant. Although I guess it is similar to Louisiana.

Hootybob

FNG
We built a house in WY and moved here when I retired from the military. We have been coming out here for 25 years as my wife is from here.
Pros: No state income tax, reasonable property taxes, lots of public land in many areas, low humidity.
Cons: Wind! Long winters and cold. Extremely expensive housing compared to where we came from. Everything is more expensive compared to the midwest by a large margin: Food, gas, restaurants, etc.
Lack of jobs if you are still working age. Limited availability on the housing market.
The hunting has taken a serious downturn the past 20 years, even moreso during the past 5 years. Over crowding- too many tag allocations, drought and in some areas, disease has taken a toll on game nimbers and hunt quality. I thought I new what crowded public land hunting was in Missouri, but WY has it beat five-fold!
Is the hunting pressure as bad in the wilderness areas too?

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Is the hunting pressure as bad in the wilderness areas too?
My guess and yes it’s just a guess is that the wilderness areas would have slightly less nonresident numbers. the fact that Wyoming requires nonresidents to have a guide in wilderness areas and can’t go in diy would slow some down.

Retire in Wyo if you hunt and fish alot and prefer not to pay State tax on your retirement savings or pension. Beware of the Wind it'll drive you crazy, though.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
I just learned this yesterday, and simply passing it this along for any thread readers, but starting in 2023, AZ is adopting a 2.5% flat income tax rate.

Hard to beat AZ for great hunting and great outdoor activities along with diverse weather options. Very friendly 2A state too.

The only big unknown is what's going to happen with the results of last month's elections.

Eddie

Jauwater

WKR
I go on a ice fishing trip to Ely, Nevada each year with a group of friends, and spend a few days in Vegas before flying out. Everytime I'm leaving I tell myself im gonna retire here, and do that every week. Overall, it's probably not the place most people would care to visit, nor retire to, but I really enjoy my time in the outdoors when I visit Nevada. I enjoy Vegas for a day at a time too. Alot of land out there to get lost in. I know nothing of the politics within the state. And most of the states population lives in or around Vegas. You get out of that Valley, and there isn't much else as far as large populated towns.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

COelk89

FNG
I would definitely consider any tax ramifications before settling down. I like the idea of traveling around a few states and cashing in points. You can easily find monthly RV rental spots in a lot of really cool areas in all of those states. Get a PO Box and DL and establish residency fast. You are already to late for the draws this year (2023) as you need 6 months after getting that driver's license in most cases.

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
I just learned this yesterday, and simply passing it this along for any thread readers, but starting in 2023, AZ is adopting a 2.5% flat income tax rate.

Hard to beat AZ for great hunting and great outdoor activities along with diverse weather options. Very friendly 2A state too.

The only big unknown is what's going to happen with the results of last month's elections.

Eddie

I too am looking forward to the new tax rate! Need to make sure people know that the new dingbat Governor had absolutely nothing to do with it, it was all Ducey. I agree AZ is a great state, but we're only open to people moving in that won't screw up the political landscape. Its bad enough as it is with the current invasion taking place and them trying to screw things up.

sneaky

"DADDY"
FL/GA/TX would be my top choices. FL and TX have no income tax. GA has the mountains, FL has the beaches, TX and GA have the Hogs and hunting.
Tennessee has no income tax or estate tax either. More mountains than GA, and has hogs. All it doesn't have is is saltwater fishing lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brianp

FNG
Tennessee has no income tax or estate tax either. More mountains than GA, and has hogs. All it doesn't have is is saltwater fishing lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Very true, and no chance of it turning blue any time soon lol. GA and TX could be questionable in about 10 years.

MTbiggame

FNG
Montana for sure. I’ve lived here my whole life and it’s the greatest place on earth to live. Has everything and is probably one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Ark6

FNG

Eddie

Source? I’m an AZ resident and sadly don’t even know if this is a net positive or negative for me.
I can say other than idiotic politicians, even more foolish voters, and the most downright pathetic election practices (all of the above seem to be getting worse) az is currently a great place to live. The border causes some issues for sure, but the hiking, hunting, gun freedoms, and various different climate zones make it an amazing place all year ‘round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tbonespop

Lil-Rokslider
Source? I’m an AZ resident and sadly don’t even know if this is a net positive or negative for me.
I can say other than idiotic politicians, even more foolish voters, and the most downright pathetic election practices (all of the above seem to be getting worse) az is currently a great place to live. The border causes some issues for sure, but the hiking, hunting, gun freedoms, and various different climate zones make it an amazing place all year ‘round.

Its true, Ducey implemented it. It has to be a good thing because the previous graduated rates ranged from ~2.5-5%. Just make sure people don't think the new dingbat governor coming in had anything to do with it, she didn't.

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee

A SOURCE

Eddie