Retirement state?

Meh, same was true in New Mexico (ABQ) and Illinois (Chicago) and Massachusetts (Boston). But my experience in those states were all pretty good despite the influence of the city people. Hell, Texas is chock full of city people now. You can't escape the influence of people from DFW, Austin or Houston (San Antonio people don't bother anyone) unless you get west of Junction or north of Abilene.

Oregon has beautiful and abundant public lands, world class fishing and a great diversity of things to hunt. There's a good chance my wife and I will either end up living there or spending a lot of time there when we retire. I've seen plenty of the state that was as far from Portland as Rocksprings, TX is from Houston.
A sample of the weirdness:

A current initiative that would criminalize hunting, much less ranching animals for food.

So take a hard look at Oregon, but keep your eyes open.

A sample of the weirdness:

A current initiative that would criminalize hunting, much less ranching animals for food.

So take a hard look at Oregon, but keep your eyes open.
There are petitions like this in many states every year.

Well, come on over.

You’ve been warned.
Lots of folks here want to "warn" others about liberals. Not sure why they can't just be ignored. It's not that hard to do.

btw there's also a petition for part of Oregon to join Idaho. So much for tolerance. LOL

Every year, there's a petition in TX to secede. There's also another one to break Texas into 5 individual states.

Weird/liberal is easy enough to ignore. I already have to ignore all the trump won flags so I have experience. :D

Ignore the taxes.

Ignore the drugs.

Its a beautiful state with many fishing opportunities. The hunting has been getting progressively worse for years. ODFW manages the revenue, not the resource.

No sales tax is nice. PERS continues to be a huge issue but I doubt I’ll still be a resident when the implosion occurs.

Frueeta? Worked at 1910 L Road for 30 years. I picked EOM For home though, it’s ten degrees warmer than Fruieetah in the mornings In winter. Best Slope for sure.
Never heard of EOM in CO and lived in CO over 35 yrs. What does it mean?

Phaseolus

WKR
Never heard of EOM in CO and lived in CO over 35 yrs. What does it mean?
East Orchard Mesa, it’s a mesa top just south of Palisade and is the heart of Colorado peach country

Saying Frueetah for Fruita is kind of a joke, lots of non locals seem to pronounce it that way.

From my experience, its not the state but where in the state. My sister lives in Nampa and I have urged her to move. Sandpoint can be kind of thick and brushy like NW Montana. Choose carefully!

Rich M

WKR
Pick a state that has your political bend hoping we dont have any more deadly viruses headed this way.

Check the tax implications if the states and do a spreadsheet or ballance sheet.

Year round activities or will you get froze-in for any periods of time (not a bad thing).

Fish hike hunt snow activities?

You got any hobbies to take up slack time? Gardening, painting, ???

Having a 5th wheel will alliw you to taste what the states dish out before deciding.

Got to the end and you decided already. Enjoy Idaho.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Pick a state that has your political bend hoping we dont have any more deadly viruses headed this way.

Check the tax implications if the states and do a spreadsheet or ballance sheet.

Year round activities or will you get froze-in for any periods of time (not a bad thing).

Fish hike hunt snow activities?

You got any hobbies to take up slack time? Gardening, painting, ???

Having a 5th wheel will alliw you to taste what the states dish out before deciding.

Got to the end and you decided already. Enjoy Idaho.
That’s almost exactly how I did it though. All great advice.

Not Illinois. It sucks. Near the top of the nation for gas prices, property taxes, unconstitutional FOID card, and soon to be more idiotic gun laws in January. Illinois is continuously near the top for people moving out. My youngest graduates high school in 1.5 year. Then my wife and I can look for a place in Missouri.

KitsapDan

FNG
Not Illinois. It sucks. Near the top of the nation for gas prices, property taxes, unconstitutional FOID card, and soon to be more idiotic gun laws in January. Illinois is continuously near the top for people moving out. My youngest graduates high school in 1.5 year. Then my wife and I can look for a place in Missouri.
I grew up there. Escaped in 1991 for the left coast before WA State went insane. Couldn’t pay me enough money to move back there.

Marble

WKR
I retire on the 30th. I will be staying in CA for several reasons, family, health insurance, and a new career...

If I moved out of the state and wanted to keep the same insurance, it would cost $995 per month. I've already had cancer twice, so I need the Cadillac of insurance.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

brianp

FNG
FL/GA/TX would be my top choices. FL and TX have no income tax. GA has the mountains, FL has the beaches, TX and GA have the Hogs and hunting.

Yoder

WKR
Lots of folks here want to "warn" others about liberals. Not sure why they can't just be ignored. It's not that hard to do.

btw there's also a petition for part of Oregon to join Idaho. So much for tolerance. LOL

Every year, there's a petition in TX to secede. There's also another one to break Texas into 5 individual states.

Weird/liberal is easy enough to ignore. I already have to ignore all the trump won flags so I have experience. :D
You can ignore conservatives. Liberals can't be ignored. Conservatives are happy to go to work, come home and leave people alone. Liberals are only happy if you do exactly what they want you to do. If not they will riot, protest, cancel you and pass laws until you conform. We just put Trump signs in the yard.