Reticle Movement when Shooting

Scottf270

WKR
I know when I shoot with a bipod off of a bench, I get kick to the side if I don't put a pad or piece of carpet on the bench surface. Our local Shooting range has rough concrete benches and the rough surface won't allow the rifle to recoil smoothly.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Trigger cam footage from accomplished shooters changed my perception of what these guys actually see for reticle movement.

Phil Velayo has a handful of videos on youtube that have trigger cam footage.

I dont think that's why they teach being square in current precision rifle courses. The below video has what i have seen to be typical justification for the squareness.

Maybe my mind isn't wrapped around this correctly but it seems that moving your hips to the left if your recoil movement is left is more likely to be offsetting cheek pressure or other forces pushing the butt right? Interesting input, i had not heard of or tried that before.
I have a sneaking suspicion that there is some offset for the different positions. I do know they getting straight behind helps with recoil management 100%, but at fine tuning I think it’s been mentioned that it could be check pressure is some other little thing.

A problem is in the field that finely tuned offset at the range can be a detriment if it is a “hack” and not in the fundamentals.

I get snookered by range fixes that don’t translate to the field.

taskswap

WKR
Absolutely not a pro instructor here but what helped me most was changing my hand position. I'm sure there's a name for this, but rather than having my non-dominant (left) hand on the forearm, I hold my left thumb and forefinger pressed against my right shoulder, a few inches down. This makes a triangle out of my left arm the way some folks shoot off-hand with a sling for extra support, and greatly reduces any movement there. It also makes a cradle, the way a rear bag would work, for the butt of my rifle. Rather than "holding" the rifle against my shoulder, I can just let it "rest" on that cradle. Those two things reduced a lot of small movements for me. Effectively, the rifle is just resting on my backpack in front and this cradle in the back, and my right hand is just lightly on the grip. I'm not so much holding the rifle as I am serving as its human "sled". Sorry if I'm butchering the description.

Lawnboi

WKR
If you’re not putting negative input into the rifle or face or hand. It’s all npa. Most of the time your reticle moves where you don’t want it is because your npa is off and there is torque on the gun somewhere.

I wouldn’t plan on spotting shots from a 6.5 creed from anything but prone under 400. 400 is not terrible to see splash but to actually spot your shot it’s going to be very difficult with just about anything.

Competitors including myself do a lot of shooting at that range because the time of flight is so short. Makes spotting difficult and you really have to train your mind to watch while everything is still moving. Past 500 spotting becomes much easier.

croben

WKR
Are you checking your natural point of aim after getting set behind the rifle and before each shot? I see it often where people are muscling the gun because their NPA is off the target.