rest suggestions

deepcrawl

FNG
Looking for a dropaway rest for 3D and hunting. It would be for a Darton Consequence. Tuneability is a top priority,, I've been thinking about the Hamskea Hybrid or Trinity, and the AAE Prophecy, but I've also seen positive reviews of QAD. Wondering what people woul recommend? I'd prefer to keep it under $250

Jrob

FNG
I’ve only used QAD. I was using a QAD Ultrarest HDX for about a year. I recently switched over to the QAD MX2. The MX2 is noticeably quieter than the Ultrarest. It is also easier to tune with the micro adjustment wheels.

I prefer a limb driven as they are far simpler to set up, and you can maintain them in the field if you had to. I’ve never had a failure with Hamskea rests. I know plenty of folks that have had issues with QAD.

I'd look at a Hamskea Trinity and swapping the standard launcher for the blued .010 or one of the stainless .012 blades for 3d. I just much prefer a blade rest for target, I find it more forgiving. I used a Trinity with the .012 SS blade for a year of 3d, if I was going to have a bow that I was hunting and 3d shooting with that's route I'd go.

Can swap back to the standard launcher for hunting.

I use QAD on my hunting bows, and know several guys who shoot them for 3d and hunting. Like I said, I have just come to prefer a blade.

No experience personally with the AAE.

I also prefer limb driven. If you ever go rounds tuning and troubleshooting you'll learn to appreciate the simple brilliance of limb driven, while the cable driven can drive you nuts. Also the cable driven designs can have some issues in extreme cold temperatures.

Richard

FNG
I only have experience with a ripcord and qad ultrarest. Had issues with the ripcord and went back to qad.

BKM

FNG
Go limb driven, I’m back to a limb driver
Standard pro-v and won’t be changing.

Micro adjust in nice but it has always given me issues eventually, and tends to make more noise for a hunting rig.

OP
D

deepcrawl

FNG
Trinity is by far my favorite. Tried an epilson and didn't care for it. Sent it back. QAD are good too but not as heavy duty.
What about the Epsilon was not successful for you?
I'd look at a Hamskea Trinity and swapping the standard launcher for the blued .010 or one of the stainless .012 blades for 3d. I just much prefer a blade rest for target, I find it more forgiving. I used a Trinity with the .012 SS blade for a year of 3d, if I was going to have a bow that I was hunting and 3d shooting with that's route I'd go.

Can swap back to the standard launcher for hunting.

I use QAD on my hunting bows, and know several guys who shoot them for 3d and hunting. Like I said, I have just come to prefer a blade.

No experience personally with the AAE.
Great info. I will look into the replacement blades.
I'm a fan of AAE Rests. I like my QAD a lot as well but the AAE has a few features I like more.
I like AAE rests for recurve and barebow, which is why I'm interested in them for compound. What features do you like about AAE? Do you find them to be durable and reliable as well?

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I like AAE rests for recurve and barebow, which is why I'm interested in them for compound. What features do you like about AAE? Do you find them to be durable and reliable as well?
Not Bump79, but I've had two QAD fail on my over the years. The AAE Prophecy is a solid rest, it doesn't pull up on the draw like the QAD does, but I always pop QADs up with my thumb anyway. I've also used the AAE Prodrop (their limb driven). Nothing wrong with it, but I prefer Hamskea (currently using the Epsilon on two bows).

MattB

WKR
Not Bump79, but I've had two QAD fail on my over the years. The AAE Prophecy is a solid rest, it doesn't pull up on the draw like the QAD does, but I always pop QADs up with my thumb anyway. I've also used the AAE Prodrop (their limb driven). Nothing wrong with it, but I prefer Hamskea (currently using the Epsilon on two bows).
I have a friend whose tule elk hunt was screwed up by a QAD failure.

I feel really certain qad failures come from 2 things.

1) Temps in the teens. I wouldn't use one if planning to hunt in low teen or below temps. The little bit of grease becomes too thick, or tolerances change with internals.

2) too much pressure on the cord. Little creep in the cable, and it loads the internals too much.

I won't hard tie my QAD in, I just put the cord thru the cable. Knot on the end, all it takes to time one is to draw the bow back.

The temp definitely removes them from some hunts. I hate cold and don't hunt sub 20 degrees very much at all.

I have seen very few failures from qad, and actually more from Hamskea personally. The Hamskea seemed to eat bearings for a time that caused horizontal movement. But I think that has been corrected.

MattB

WKR
@MattB and @2Stamp and any others... can you elaborate on the QAD failures/ issue? I was getting ready to buy one but may hold off or change my mind now.
Getting set up dialed in for elk mainly. Thanks in advance
The rest was 5-6 years old and stopped dropping consistently when shot. Never happened in practice, just when a $30K bull that may have been the new P&Y record was standing in front of him.

IMO the lock up feature adds unnecessary complexity to the rest.