Repairing small burn holes in wall tent

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
over the past few years we have gotten some burn spots in the roof of our canvas wall tent.
biggest is about the size of a quarter but the rest are the size of a pencil eraser.
we run a fly over the canvas.

what do you guys recommend.

Beendare

WKR
I have used a tape like that^ above...it starts to let go after a couple years.

I have used the iron on patches...like the ones our moms put on the knees of our jeans....those will last a few years at least.

Best long term is to sew a patch

At Davis Tent we sell and make patch kits. Check out the link.

OP
Muskykris

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
I have used a tape like that^ above...it starts to let go after a couple years.

I have used the iron on patches...like the ones our moms put on the knees of our jeans....those will last a few years at least.

Best long term is to sew a patch
Ya I figured, was trying to get away from sewing the smaller ones. The contact cement option sounds decent

OP
Muskykris

Muskykris

Lil-Rokslider
At Davis Tent we sell and make patch kits. Check out the link.

so i can cut to size and patch hole by hole? likely going to go with this option. can you send me the link to the how to video if possible.

thanks in advance

Last edited:

Axlrod

WKR
For the smaller ones, I have always used clear silicone adhesive/sealer. Large ones a canvas patch with canvas glue. My tent is 25 years old, so far no issues.

MarlinMark

Lil-Rokslider
Stove pipe out the roof? I'd get a wall pipe insert to start... and perforate the last 8" of stove pipe with a drill to make a lot of holes. This adds O2 to the pipe before embers leave the pipe and they burn out in the pipe. Better than any spark arrestor. I didn't believe it at first but it was proven to me live in the field. Works great.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had a small tear in the side of my wall tent and used Tenacious Tape on both sides of the canvas and it's still holding strong after several years now. Did the same thing to a pair of my hunting pants that ripped crossing a barbed wire fence and those pants have been washed dozens of times since and never even notice that they're patched.