Remington 700 Feeding Issues

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help! I have a Remington 700 Mountain Rifle chambered in 280 Rem with a detachable bottom magazine. I'm having issues getting the rounds to feed out of the magazine properly.

With three rounds in the magazine, the bolt grazes the top of the shell but doesn't catch it. With one round in the magazine it feeds just fine. I took pictures to compare and if you look closely, with three shells in the magazine the top shell is sitting just slightly lower than with one (using the '2' and the 'M' on the brass as a reference point).

I'm stumped as to how to fix this. Any suggestions?

With three rounds in magazine:
B0829C5B-2FC2-4D20-B75F-57550C5692C0.jpeg

With one round in magazine:
B42EFEC1-047F-4069-8D80-53F8E9EE6381.jpeg

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Forgot to add - I've owned and shot this rifle for 20+ years without any sort of issue like this.

Rob5589

WKR
Kind of hard to tell from the pic but the lip on the ammo side looks bent in further than the other. Have you tried a different mag?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
With 3 rounds in there it looks like the second round is forcing the top one to the side pretty hard. VS when you have only 1 round in there the only pressure is from the spring pushing up. I would go in and bend those feed lips just a little bit. With the staggered feed magazines it is crucial to make sure you do not go too much. Take a set of needle nose pliers and wrap them in some masking tape. This will make sure you do not scratch your mag. Then I would grab the right feed lip and bend it up slightly. Do it all the way down the feed lip and then test the mag. If it does not work do it again. There is a fine line between when you are actually bending it and having it stay vs when you bend it and it returns to the original position. That is going to be the best way to approach it from what I can see.

If you haven't had any issues in the past you might also try taking the magazine apart and cleaning it. Magazines get dirty and the dirt starts to bind in places its not meant to. So you might start here before you go to bending. Feel free to shoot us a PM or give us a call if you have any questions!

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
With 3 rounds in there it looks like the second round is forcing the top one to the side pretty hard. VS when you have only 1 round in there the only pressure is from the spring pushing up. I would go in and bend those feed lips just a little bit. With the staggered feed magazines it is crucial to make sure you do not go too much. Take a set of needle nose pliers and wrap them in some masking tape. This will make sure you do not scratch your mag. Then I would grab the right feed lip and bend it up slightly. Do it all the way down the feed lip and then test the mag. If it does not work do it again. There is a fine line between when you are actually bending it and having it stay vs when you bend it and it returns to the original position. That is going to be the best way to approach it from what I can see.

If you haven't had any issues in the past you might also try taking the magazine apart and cleaning it. Magazines get dirty and the dirt starts to bind in places its not meant to. So you might start here before you go to bending. Feel free to shoot us a PM or give us a call if you have any questions!
Appreciate the info! A friend suggested bending it as well, was trying to see what other options there were before I go that route. Sounds like that might be the way to go.

Any clue how to take the magazine apart? I can't figure it out and a Google search didn't reveal anything.

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Kind of hard to tell from the pic but the lip on the ammo side looks bent in further than the other. Have you tried a different mag?
It's the only magazine I have, and I don't know anyone else with the factory detachable mag.

Rob5589

WKR
Appreciate the info! A friend suggested bending it as well, was trying to see what other options there were before I go that route. Sounds like that might be the way to go.

Any clue how to take the magazine apart? I can't figure it out and a Google search didn't reveal anything.
Can you post pics of the bottom, the front, and the back?

OP
CaliWoodsman

CaliWoodsman

Lil-Rokslider
Just to follow up on this, I was able to get another magazine, which also didn't feed correctly.

I had a gunsmith put a new stock on it earlier this year. Out of curiosity I put the old stock back on and whaddya know, it fed perfectly. Examined the fit on the new stock a little closer and while it lets the magazine click into place, I think the stock just needs to be trimmed up a bit so the magazine can sit just a smidge higher.

I called the gunsmith to see if I could take care of it with a dremel (since I'm in CA, he's in NM). He insisted I ship it back to him and he'll fix it at no charge, including shipping. Also promised to have it turned around quickly so I have it back in time for an upcoming hunt.

Rifle should be shipping out Monday. I'll keep you all posted on the results.