Mack Brothers Evo II Difficulties

Winginit

FNG
I recently built my first bolt gun. I used a Mack Brothers Evo II short action with a magnum bolt face. It is the BDL action with a Wyatt's box internal magazine. I've got it chambered in 6.8 Western. It shoots flawlessly and groups well. My only hang up is I am unable to load more than one single round into the gun. The one round I can load is in the pipe ready to go. I can't seem to get any additional rounds to load into the magazine. Seems to me like the rounds are too big around and are getting hung up on the loading platform. I am very new to building bolt actions. Anybody else have similar issues?

Thanks in advance

TxLite

WKR
Are you shooting handloads or factory ammo?

Edit: misread and thought they were too long. If they are too fat, is it that they are too fat for the magazine itself or are the feed lips too narrow to allow them to feed?

I have a 300 WM with mag bolt face and long action. Wyatt's internal mag. Feeds rounds smoothly and reliably everytime.

OP
W

Winginit

FNG
It's the feed lips on the action itself not allowing the rounds to go down into the magazine. I am using factory ammo and have tried a variety with the same result.

TxLite

WKR
It's the feed lips on the action itself not allowing the rounds to go down into the magazine. I am using factory ammo and have tried a variety with the same result.
You should be able to bend the feed lips to accept the fatter rounds. That’s part of the “tuning” process that a smith will do when building a rifle to make sure it feeds and functions properly

OP
W

Winginit

FNG
You should be able to bend the feed lips to accept the fatter rounds. That’s part of the “tuning” process that a smith will do when building a rifle to make sure it feeds and functions properly
Good to know, I will try that and see if it resolved the issue.

OP
W

Winginit

FNG
Here is a picture of me trying to push a casing through the action. This is with the internal box magazine removed to rule out that being an issue. It is on the action itself and doesn't look like it can be bent or adjusted. Does it need to be filed to open it up a bit? I hate the though of taking a file to my brand new rifle.
IMG_20231014_195735.jpg

vonb

Lil-Rokslider
That should not be happening and is something Mac Bros will need to address. You never should have to file that area.

OP
W

Winginit

FNG
It’s a center feed box. It’s working as designed. Load it from the floor plate. Watch this:

Yes, this is what I am having to do. Though my brass is still getting scratched up by the action and it is very difficult for the next round to feed and I feel like I am really forcing it. Not sure if that just how it's going to be, or if it needs to be "broken in"