Reloading kit

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get into reloading once I get my rifle. Looking for everything I need to get started with. This won't be for large volume ammo production just enough for range sessions and spinning up some ammo for hunting.

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
Single stage press. I use a Redding.
Dies. Redding or RCBS for each caliber.
Shell holders for same.
Automatic powder measure. Hornady or RCBS.
Case lube pad.
Case lube.
funnel
Case tumbler.
Media for case tumbler (corn cob or walnut hulls)
Plastic trays to hold the cases while you work on them.
Something to clean the lube off the cases. I use mineral spirits and a rag.
Caliper to measure the cases loaded rounds.
Reloading manual(s).
Notebook. I use a tabbed three ring binder with a tab for each cartridge.
Hand priming tool. I use the RCBS. The Lee works OK too.
Plastic boxes to keep your finished rounds in.
Zip lock bags for empty cases.

When I got in the reloading game years ago, I would get on YouTube and watch videos on how to reload whatever round I was interested in. I would make notes on what all those guys were using and started piecing things together. Case preparation all the way through ammo storage. But it doesn’t end there, then you will be buying a chrono and the list goes on and on and on and on…………..

TaperPin

WKR
With all the presses available it’s hard to know what’s what. The heavy duty presses like RCBS Rock Chucker and others of similar construction are stronger than needed for normal reloading, but if you ever need to form one case from a longer one, the extra heft is more important - like making 308 from 30-06. The used Rock Chucker goes for $90 on up and after a lifetime of using it, it will still be worth what you paid for it.

There are weird brackets for mounting the press up higher, but I’m a fan of mounting the press to a board so it can be placed on the kitchen table or workbench and held down with c clamps. I’d have to really like a work area to permanently mount it there.

A case trimmer is nice to have to even up the necks.

An aluminum funnel sized for a specific neck is worth whatever It costs.

A low angled chamfer tool, often called a vld chamfer, is easier on the bullets, especially copper ones, during seating.

A loading block sized for your cases is so much nicer to use than a generic block that fits the largest sizes and smaller cases flop around in it.

I don’t mind a beam scale, but electric ones are all the rage - electric is the way to go if you enjoy sorting components by weight, which I don’t do.

A powder measure saves a lot of time and is a must have just for that reason.

It’s relaxing, kind of like fly tying.

For as little relaoding you plan on doing save yourself some money and buy used gear...there is a cast iron single stage RCBS on ebay right now for 35 bucks plus shipping. Once you figure it all out you can upgrade as needed...I still use a RCBS A2 I picked up at yard sale. Got it and RCBS jr half dozen dies, case trimmer and bunch of other odds and ends in a tote for 100 bucks. Spend your money on a good case trimming station and power dispenser.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the advice. Not close but somewhat close to getting my rifle and I know I know I know the default answer I receive for rifle advise is the Tikka T3x lite SS in 6.5 CM but i'm considering the 6.5 PRC or the 270 WSM and I've seen the 6.5/260 thread and have done thorough research on cartridges and I'm thoroughly impressed with what the 6.5 CM does. The only reason the 270 WSM is on the table is no real reason at all just to be different.

OP
S

stan5677

Lil-Rokslider
How much do you shoot?
Once I get up and going range practice and taking the rifle out for game in the field so really don't need a whole lot of volume. So essentially trigger time then verify zero before a hunt.

BrBa

Lil-Rokslider
Looking to get into reloading once I get my rifle. Looking for everything I need to get started with. This won't be for large volume ammo production just enough for range sessions and spinning up some ammo for hunting.
It won't be long before that list expands. Enjoy the journey!

MikeDeltaFoxtrot

Lil-Rokslider
If thats the case, to hell with reloading. I would stock up on creedmoor ammo and call it done
There are other reasons to hand load than to save money. I make high quality tuned to my gun. I find it very satisfying to connect with a target using a load I worked up in a cartridge I loaded.

It all depends on your goals. Good luck OP.