Reloading advice for Non-Lead 6.5cm in 20in Carbon wrapped barrel

HI,

I just picked up Fierce Fury carbon in 6.5cm with a 20in barrel. It's my 1st 6.5, I'm interested to hear if anyone has good non-lead load recommendations for this set up.

The shop owner swears by 80gn Hammer HHT using H4350 at damn near max capacity 47.8gn. I would have never considered going with that light of a bullet for a hog and mule deer gun, but they said with a muzzle velocity around 3300ft/sec, they're confident in it expanding well out to 500yds.

Any thoughts on the load mentioned or does anyone have a good load recommendations?

Thank you

z987k

WKR
In copper specifically, I can't recommend the apex bullets enough. Comes apart really well and doesn't have the BC of a barn door like a lot of copper.

OP
A
In copper specifically, I can't recommend the apex bullets enough. Comes apart really well and doesn't have the BC of a barn door like a lot of copper.
Cool. What grain apex bullet did you go with? And what barrel length are you shooting?

OP
A
We shoot 120 grain TTSX out of my son's 6.5CM. Factory or reloaded with Accurate 2700.
I've also had good experience with TTSX in the past, that's what I currently reload for my tikka 7mm rem. Feel the same, factory or reload hit similar - slight edge on the reload about .2MOA improvement after tinkering with powder loads.

Legend

WKR
Cool. What grain apex bullet did you go with? And what barrel length are you shooting?
For a comparison I run 180 grain lead in my 300wsm and have found 125 grain copper to be really fun.

The light bullets loose speed fast so as long as you keep that in mind give the 80grn a try.

Also recoil is directly correlated with bullet weight. Light bullets are fun.

z987k

WKR
I'm shooting the 123 in a fast twist 6.5cm. However, with the standard 1:8 in your gun you're going to be limited to the 116gr. Still a pretty good BC, probably the best BC of any bullet at that weight.

marc357

FNG
I shoot the Barnes 127LRX and have had good success killing deer and antelope with it.

Barnes factory load runs about 2820fps and won't shoot better than an inch or so out of my 24" Tikka at 100 yds. Wife's Tikka same. I am handloading them to 2940 and shooting about 1/2". Way mo bettah.

z987k

WKR
I shoot the Barnes 127LRX and have had good success killing deer and antelope with it.

Barnes factory load runs about 2820fps and won't shoot better than an inch or so out of my 24" Tikka at 100 yds. Wife's Tikka same. I am handloading them to 2940 and shooting about 1/2". Way mo bettah.
This is probably the easiest path. Just load the 127 LRX and go.

Monolithic projectiles punch way above there weight. I run the Barnes 127 LRX for my Creedmoor and PRC with good success. I’m working on a load for my PRC with the new 130 CX now. Just know that 1800 FPS is about the minimum for impact velocity on the LRX and around 2000 FPS for TTSX/TSX bullets to ensure proper expansion. For the creedmoor I’m running the LRX over top of H4350.

kota

FNG
I shoot the 127 lrx in mine over h4350, and it works just fine. I don’t shoot far so I don’t have to worry about impact velocity. Lots of family have killed some nice bucks with 80 grain ttsx’s out of a 243, so no doubt the light HH’s will work too.

Don’t confuse those minimum velocities (which results in minimal expansion) with proper full expansion.
Yeah I understand that minimum velocity equates to minimum expansion. Even at minimum expansion, you’re still looking at about double the original diameter with good temporary and permanent wound channels. For me, it’s more important that a bullets holds together well at close range high velocities, considering that even when hunting elk out west, the shots are mostly sub 350 yards. Regardless of what the internet tells us lol. And in the event that I’m taking a long shot, it’s capable of that. I’ve had bad luck with “bonded” bullets being inconsistent so monolithic projectiles are what work for me. I understand I’m new here and this isn’t to say your tried and true bonded bullets or match bullets don’t work, just my experience.

But I digress, as we are steering away from the original question. H4350 in the creedmoor is always the easy button for accuracy. Run a ladder test to see where your rifles sweet spot is and then shoot some groups. I would also throw out that downloading Gordon’s Reloading Tool has greatly reduced my waste of components when doing load work up. You can factor out a lot of loads you’re planning on trying by simply sitting in front of your computer.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah I understand that minimum velocity equates to minimum expansion. Even at minimum expansion, you’re still looking at about double the original diameter with good temporary and permanent wound channels.
Please provide evidence of this association (2x caliber at minimum velocity).

As for your latter comments, you falsely assume I hunt lead core / match bullets if I am the "your" mentioned, I have only hunted monos the last decade+ (mostly barnes as well). I am merely trying to counteract the shitty advise that barnes puts out in regards to their bullets by not telling folks the velocity required for FULL expansion (down to the base of the hollow point) and not just the bare minimum that starts the bullet to minimally start the tip expanding even if that expansion is still only caliber size. If they truthfully advertised both velocities I think it would educate the customers better and cause less rodeos for folks who assume they're getting full expansion at those minimums and then don't get the terminal performance they were expecting.

1725026055442.jpeg
This projectile (Barnes 127LRX) had a recorded muzzle velocity of 1770FPS over 19.5gr of AA5744.

These forums are for discussion. Not to make you mad. That was never my intention. The “bonded” was a jab at the word. Not you. If you’ve been hunting with monolithic projectiles that long than you know what I’m saying is correct so we should be agreeing with one another. No reason to get defensive. Secondly, Barnes is very open about the expansion of their bullets at the different velocities. I’ve never had a Barnes rep advertise complete expansion at the lower velocities.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
View attachment 757686
This projectile (Barnes 127LRX) had a recorded muzzle velocity of 1770FPS over 19.5gr of AA5744.

These forums are for discussion. Not to make you mad. That was never my intention. The “bonded” was a jab at the word. Not you. If you’ve been hunting with monolithic projectiles that long than you know what I’m saying is correct so we should be agreeing with one another. No reason to get defensive. Secondly, Barnes is very open about the expansion of their bullets at the different velocities. I’ve never had a Barnes rep advertise complete expansion at the lower velocities.
Glad to see that specific bullet peels that far at that velocity, still not as much as I'd want (nor is it 2x caliber if we're nitpicking). Personally I want the web part expanded out further and not just the petal tips, but that's just my preference.

I'm not mad whatsoever. :)

I might have come off more abrupt in speaking because folks are in here a lot talking about undesirable performance from monos but then you find out they shot rear lungs at those "minimum expansion velocity" figures and wonder why they don't have a bang flop. Too many folks don't realize that "minimum expansion velocity" is NOT the velocity that gets the expansion photos that barnes puts out there. You are correct that barnes doesn't say you get complete expansion at those lower velocities, they also don't proactively tell you that you won't get full expansion either... nor do they tell you the velocity required for full expansion. Thus is confuses lots of folks that are more novice on the topic and causes problems for them.

If barnes put a photo series on the website/box of ammo for each bullet at 1800fps, 2000fps, 2200fps I think it would be extremely educational and help their customers be more effective.