Reloading advice for Non-Lead 6.5cm in 20in Carbon wrapped barrel

Yeah it’s not optimal but sufficient. One could argue that no matter the bullet construction, at those velocities, all bullets are going to be sufficient and not optimal. Otherwise they wouldn’t hold together at high velocity impact.

Good! I’m too new here to be making enemies already. lol.

I do agree that putting something out there would be beneficial. Although, it would only be beneficial to the ones that spend the time to educate themselves lol. The ones complaining are the ones that don’t take the time to understand. I still run into people today that tell me they don’t shoot ballistic tips cause they deflect too bad off of branches but lead tips don’t haha

HGL

FNG
I worked up a good load with the 110 Hammer Hunter for my 18" 6.5 CM.

44 grains of Varget (it was a stout load so work up)
Lapua brass
CCI-450
3175 fps.

Killed a few pigs with it, no problems. If I were somewhere I had to use lead-free, I'd roll with it or the LRX. But I prefer the ELDm and Nosler BTs.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Yeah it’s not optimal but sufficient. One could argue that no matter the bullet construction, at those velocities, all bullets are going to be sufficient and not optimal. Otherwise they wouldn’t hold together at high velocity impact.

Good! I’m too new here to be making enemies already. lol.
Well just from a devils advocate perspective, you can shoot a heavy for caliber match bullet with a slower MV and it will still retain good down range velocity due to the BC, so high velocity impacts aren't always relevant. IE something like a 7mm 162eldm launched at ~2700fps won't blow up close range and will hold 1800fps out to 850ish at ~5500' elevation.

I hunt monos but I don't try to push the impact velocity situation. At extended ranges I'd rather grab alternative ammo, I have eldm loads for some of my rifles and the zero offsets (from the mono zero) are loaded into my ballistic app so its not hard to get correct dope for a long range shot if needed.

marc357

FNG
If barnes put a photo series on the website/box of ammo for each bullet at 1800fps, 2000fps, 2200fps I think it would be extremely educational and help their customers be more effective.
I agree with this idea wholeheartedly. Most people don't understand that "minimum expansion velocity" also means "minimum/ minimal expansion".
It will expand some, but it ain't gonna look like the picture on the box.

BTW, that miminum velocity for the 127LRX is 1600fps. Wife, son, and I have shot several deer and antelope with that bullet (all from 6.5 ManBun) with good results. Most shots have been around 300 yards, longest was about 385.

The only bullet recovered was a shot on a whitetail at 235 yards. Wife found the impact while i was field dressing him and dug it out of the river bank where it was about 6 inches deep after a perfect broadside shot that severed his heart in two. Still ran about 30 yards and flopped. Looked just like the picture on the box, and weighed 126.6 gr. Reckon that plastic tip weighs .4 gr.

Wife put the smack down on a nice antelope buck at 749 yards, so she holds the Speedgote record in this household, but that was with a 140ELDM.

If you call or email Barnes they will provide those minimum velocity numbers for the bullets you request.