Reliable scope - Boys first rifle.

ZackP

WKR
Hey fellas,

Figured it was best to post this here. As far as I have read through the evals, looks like the only budget option for my boys first rifle is a Burris FF E1?

Picked him up a Savage Model 10 in 308 on clearance at a local shop. Don’t want to go overboard with it, as it his for him. He will not be dialing, but it is something I wouldn’t mind throwing on his .22LR after the season for him to practice his math with.

Any other recommendations in this price range? I thought about an EPL4 Arken, but not interested if they don’t hold.

Step it up to a Maven CRS.1? I worry about eye relief for him on this scope.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

PS - Yes he has experiencing shooting, this is just all for him.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
10X was too hard for my wife to get behind, I can’t imagine a 10 year old lol.

I would love a 6X, but they are indeed a ghost and overpriced secondhand. Even MOA versions, which would be fine.

Credo’s are also hard to come by, I haven’t been able to source a 3/9 anywhere!

Hnthrdr

WKR
10X was too hard for my wife to get behind, I can’t imagine a 10 year old lol.

I would love a 6X, but they are indeed a ghost and overpriced secondhand. Even MOA versions, which would be fine.

Credo’s are also hard to come by, I haven’t been able to source a 3/9 anywhere!
Check Eurooptic.com they have them in stock 550, they are a fantastic company to deal with

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
Check Eurooptic.com they have them in stock 550, they are a fantastic company to deal with

I’ll look into that, still a bit more than I would like to spend on his for now. I have a couple other things to round up for him.

OP
ZackP

ZackP

WKR
The Trijicon Hurons but with the duplex or German #4 is the least of expensive scope I would choose.

I may just skip MOA entirely and start him on MIL to avoid any future confusion. Smart kid, so he’ll pick it up quick.

Looking into locating a Credo. Recommendations for cheaper 1” rings?

Macintosh

WKR
Credo is a good scope, I have two, but be careful with it on that rifle. The 3 to 9 Credo has a fixed throw lever that will interfere with the bolt knob on a rifle with a 90° bolt throw. Huron with a duplex or mil dot might be a better choice on that rifle. I had to hacksaw the throw lever off one of mine for it to work on a bolt rifle with a 90° throw.

SloppyJ

WKR
Warne mountain techs are the best bang for the buck. I'm still testing my ARC rings but they have a unique system but are a little pricier. The UM premier rings should be in there too. I like my Tikka rings from them.

Trijicon claims that the Huron has the same internals and glass as the credo. That deal posted above at eurooptic is going to be impossible to beat. I bought it a few months ago for the wife's new to her rifle and we have shot with it a few times including this morning and it is wonderful

Castmaster

Lil-Rokslider
Warne mountain techs are the best bang for the buck. I'm still testing my ARC rings but they have a unique system but are a little pricier. The UM premier rings should be in there too. I like my Tikka rings from them.
The UM premiers would be out of the question since they don’t offer them in 1”.