Release Recommendations

I currently use a Scott Little Goose II. I shoot roughly 4x a week around 30-35 arrows a session. Have been curious at checking out other releases like the Spot Hogg Wise Guy (w/ a buckle strap) and am curious about the Nock On/Carter Like Mike style of releases.

I've also been working on my form i.e. wrapping my index finger around the trigger, and pulling back with my elbow as I slowly squeeze the trigger (I haven't looked into trying to set the trigger lighter but I will try it out). I think my groups have become more accurate/consistent, but definitely need more practice.

Honestly, curious of any bowhunter's who use the Nock On Backstrap to hunt and what that's like? It doesn't seem like with a regular index you can get "true" back tension releases other than just making sure to pull through your shot, which is possibly if you curl your finger around it.

Happy to hear everyone's experiences. Also wouldn't mind getting away from the caliper style release as it destroys my d loop. That's another reason I'm considering the Wise Guy.

Marshfly

WKR
I currently use a Scott Little Goose II. I shoot roughly 4x a week around 30-35 arrows a session. Have been curious at checking out other releases like the Spot Hogg Wise Guy (w/ a buckle strap) and am curious about the Nock On/Carter Like Mike style of releases.

I've also been working on my form i.e. wrapping my index finger around the trigger, and pulling back with my elbow as I slowly squeeze the trigger (I haven't looked into trying to set the trigger lighter but I will try it out). I think my groups have become more accurate/consistent, but definitely need more practice.

Honestly, curious of any bowhunter's who use the Nock On Backstrap to hunt and what that's like? It doesn't seem like with a regular index you can get "true" back tension releases other than just making sure to pull through your shot, which is possibly if you curl your finger around it.

Happy to hear everyone's experiences. Also wouldn't mind getting away from the caliper style release as it destroys my d loop. That's another reason I'm considering the Wise Guy.
The Wise Guy has a hair trigger. It was a fast track to target panic for me. I use the Stan Solex now. crazy amount of adjustability in travel and pressure so you can set it up for a true back tension release but can still command shoot it if you really need to on an animal.

Trigger needs to be harder with a long travel to have the best pull through release with an index. Your comment about a lighter trigger is going the wrong way if that's your goal. You need to be able to wrap your finger around that thing deep with zero worry that it will go off accidentally. That's impossible with something like the Wise Guy IMHO.

The Wise Guy has a hair trigger. It was a fast track to target panic for me. I use the Stan Solex now. crazy amount of adjustability in travel and pressure so you can set it up for a true back tension release but can still command shoot it if you really need to on an animal.

Trigger needs to be harder with a long travel to have the best pull through release with an index. Your comment about a lighter trigger is going the wrong way if that's your goal. You need to be able to wrap your finger around that thing deep with zero worry that it will go off accidentally. That's impossible with something like the Wise Guy IMHO.
I understand what you're saying, if you want to continue command shooting go with The Wise Guy, but if I want to go towards the pull through release I should increase the resistance on my trigger. I just tried to do that but I got my release from a buddy and looks like he stripped the adjustment screw lol.

you can set up the Carter like Mike with a pretty stiff trigger and still have zero travel. I have found that is a better way to shoot back tension with a trigger than something that has a bunch of travel.

Marshfly

WKR
I understand what you're saying, if you want to continue command shooting go with The Wise Guy, but if I want to go towards the pull through release I should increase the resistance on my trigger. I just tried to do that but I got my release from a buddy and looks like he stripped the adjustment screw lol.
The problem I had with the Wise Guy is that it was so stupid light that you could barely put your finger on it without it going off. Just zero way to control the release IMHO. And I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried something else that was designed for a proper controlled release.

If you watch videos on Youtube or guys at the range with Wise Guys they ALL punch it. Every single one. They may think they aren't in their head but watching them proves otherwise.

Luked

WKR
Have had a bunch over the years.
Still have a few that I dont use any more.
I have been shooting the Stan SoleX the last month or so and really like it a lot.
I like the Handhelds like Carter but I am always worried I will loose it in the woods.
So I use an Index that is on my wrist all the time and not as easy to loose.

The problem I had with the Wise Guy is that it was so stupid light that you could barely put your finger on it without it going off. Just zero way to control the release IMHO. And I didn't realize how bad it was until I tried something else that was designed for a proper controlled release.

If you watch videos on Youtube or guys at the range with Wise Guys they ALL punch it. Every single one. They may think they aren't in their head but watching them proves otherwise.
Yeah I don't like that. I like to wrap my finger around the trigger, I don't think i'm using back tension currently with my Scott Little Goose II, I'm almost pulling the trigger with my finger when ready to fire and pulling through with my elbow at the same time. I would say still command release but may be not punching it as I am resting my finger on the trigger still. It's worked for me so far but trying to clean up accuracy and just thinking of different things I can improve.

I'm also using four arrows with different nocks so I'm sure that doesn't help lol, but gonna pick up a new set of arrows soon to take that out of the equation.

Overall, just curious on the command shooting vs back tension for hunting discussions. It seems like a lot of people punch the trigger or "command" shoot for hunting, I think even Remi Warren punches it lol. I just want to shoot the way that'll be best for hunting and maybe that's just for me to decide and keep practicing that way.

I do enjoy hearing other peoples' setups and though process though.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
It seems like a lot of people punch the trigger or "command" shoot for hunting, I think even Remi Warren punches it lol. I just want to shoot the way that'll be best for hunting and maybe that's just for me to decide and keep practicing that way.

I do enjoy hearing other peoples' setups and though process though.
Don't take shooting advice from guides... Learn from the guys that focus only on archery. Chris Bee, Joel Turner, etc.

That said, you can command back tension. Get your float in place and pull faster. Same exact process, you just speed it up.

The idea though is to make that release short enough that it becomes very hard to simply pull the trigger. You force yourself to have to pull through so the strap stretches a little and the release fires. That's why I think solid connection index releases are terrible. For almost everyone, it's impossible to get them short enough.

Don't take shooting advice from guides... Learn from the guys that focus only on archery. Chris Bee, Joel Turner, etc.

That said, you can command back tension. Get your float in place and pull faster. Same exact process, you just speed it up.

The idea though is to make that release short enough that it becomes very hard to simply pull the trigger. You force yourself to have to pull through so the strap stretches a little and the release fires. That's why I think solid connection index releases are terrible. For almost everyone, it's impossible to get them short enough.
I understand now. I’m definitely interested in the method. I may have to give the Stan Solex a try and try out this method of shooting. I don’t have any bow hunts this year so now would be the time to implement and refine a newer method. Whatever helps me be more accurate.

That way you describe how the method works with a release with a strap makes sense. I didn’t understand how it would work as I was thinking about it in relation to my releases, which is rigid. I figured it was from the wrist strap slipping up the hand but the nylon strap stretching makes sense too.

Does the strap ever slip or permanently stretch to where you have readjust?

Last edited:

jbelz

Lil-Rokslider
Overall, just curious on the command shooting vs back tension for hunting discussions. It seems like a lot of people punch the trigger or "command" shoot for hunting, I think even Remi Warren punches it lol. I just want to shoot the way that'll be best for hunting and maybe that's just for me to decide and keep practicing that way.
You need to spend time to find out which method of shooting works for you. That means taking honest assessments of your shooting ability for a period of time before moving on to the next thing. Kyle Douglas is 20 times the archer Chris Bee is and he command shoots. Last year I watched a local kid give himself target panic just from reading Joel Turner's book. I had a guy at Redding this year poke fun at my "command shooting," and I beat him by 30 points with a Lift 33 in Freestyle. I also know people who benefitted from Turner's philosophy.

Command shooting doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly isn't the demon a lot of folks make it out to be. I hope I don't come across as too confrontational, but if you are going to look to the internet for help, I would be looking at folks like Levi, Kyle, Dan McCarthy, Griv, Gillingham, etc. (people who've won something) for information.

You need to spend time to find out which method of shooting works for you. That means taking honest assessments of your shooting ability for a period of time before moving on to the next thing. Kyle Douglas is 20 times the archer Chris Bee is and he command shoots. Last year I watched a local kid give himself target panic just from reading Joel Turner's book. I had a guy at Redding this year poke fun at my "command shooting," and I beat him by 30 points with a Lift 33 in Freestyle. I also know people who benefitted from Turner's philosophy.

Command shooting doesn't work for everyone, but it certainly isn't the demon a lot of folks make it out to be. I hope I don't come across as too confrontational, but if you are going to look to the internet for help, I would be looking at folks like Levi, Kyle, Dan McCarthy, Griv, Gillingham, etc. (people who've won something) for information.
You aren’t coming off as confrontational at all. I appreciate your insight and thoughts. I honestly hadn’t put a whole lot of thought into the whole “command” vs back tension (until recently) as I just thought no one did it if they ran index releases. So just gathering information and thinking about if it could be something for me.

I agree with your statement about the misconception of command shooting though.

And at this point I may give different methods try but definitely want to practice my current method more and tweak some things with my gear before I make that jump. Especially since i need new arrows lol (RIP) and it sounds like my rigid style release makes it difficult to do the tension method.

Last edited:

Marshfly

WKR
I agree about command shooting also. It can be very accurate and repeatable if done well. Very few people can do that well though. Most people that say they command shoot, actually punch the crap out of the trigger.

goodlife

FNG
Stan Perfex. Used a couple cheaper thumb releases before I made the jump and it was not even close. The Perfex breaks so cleanly. Worth the money IMO.

Ride123

FNG
MY fav was the trufire foldback because it was so convenient to have it out of the way when not shooting