RedKettle - 50% off sale

Firth

FNG
In case anyone is still following along I'm still looking for a trade partner. I have a large M20 wind shell and would like an XL.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
I wrote to RedKettle about my trashed box, and pointed them to this thread.

I didn't go into detail about possible design improvements, but said I'd be interested to see what they came out with for the next version.

Received a very underwhelming one-line reply from RedKettle CS that didn't even acknowledge the destroyed box ... this surprises me, given that Christian posts about applying modern quality improvement approaches to hunting. To be fair, the email wasn't from him ... but it would have to be one of the worst examples of CS missing the point that I've seen in a long time.

ahlgringo

WKR
Wanted to give a quick note on my CS with them.

I ordered a XL Ventile Light Hunting Jacket during the sale as well.

Received it (box was fine). Anyway- soon realized the jacket was a bit large in the torso area and also one of the snaps on the cuff had another snap already in it and it was non-functioning.

Emailed and got this response

"as the jacket you ordered is faulty we will send you the L-Long as a replacement and there is no need to send the original one back to us as the cost of shipping and repair is not a feasible option in this instance. I have arranged for the replacement to be sent to you and this will be processed today.

Best wishes"

Received my L in the mail a week later.

Thank you RedKettle, in this day and age- tough to get service like this.

I sent an email before I bought both the wind shell and the light hunting jacket asking about the return policy and never received an answer. Not the end of the world but definitely slightly disappointing.

The pockets are different but don’t affect my first impression on the jackets as I don’t typically use those pockets much anyway.

The zippers on both my jackets work exactly as they should and are only weird because they are on the opposite side from what we are used to. They function as a zipper should.

I’m not sure how someone could say the light hunting jacket isn’t wind proof. I had my upper body hanging out of my buddies truck doing 40 mph in 34 degree weather and couldn’t feel the slightest bit of wind coming through and that was in the wind shell. The light hunter has double the cotton in some areas. Just my observation.

The light hunter is definitely a bit roomier than the wind shell. But I actually prefer that as I will only wear the light hunter once the temps get lower. Both jackets are heavy but I knew that before buying as I sent a email asking for exact weights. I think the light hunter is going to work very well in the jungle of the PNW. It feels like it will be very tough and will handle all the BS we have to walk through. If it is as waterproof as people say it will be my go to jacket for late blacktail and elk hunts. I have put too many holes in my expensive light weight waterproof jackets. I’m very happy so far with my purchase but time will tell. For a lot of people I can definitely see them being disappointed with their purchase if they didn’t understand what they were actually buying and if they had paid full price. Just my two cents.

Monty3006

FNG
I ordered the wind jacket in the sale and after the shipping notice said it was sitting in England for about two weeks I was starting to think it was lost. I emailed Red Kettle about it and received a fairly prompt reply. They continued to chase it up and give me updates. Eventually it turned up, I guess Australia is the other side of the world. I was pretty satisfied with their service though.

I like the jacket as well. I ordered the Large Long, I’m 6’2” and 195lbs and the fit is right. With only a t-shirt there is a bit of extra room and I can wear a Swazi Hood under it comfortably. The shoulders are a bit snug, but don’t restrict my movement. I’m looking forward to giving it a workout in the bush to see how it holds up.

OP
D

Dobermann

WKR
Short performance update: tested mine in a light-to-medium rain on a short hike on the weekend, and was waterproof.

Despite my initial misgivings about the handpocket angles and size, they worked better than I thought they would - their steep angle makes me bring my elbows and shoulders back, improving posture.

Given that I'm not likely to use the pockets when wearing a pack, and therefore not likely to put stuff in them except my hands to keep them warm, this isn't such a bad feature after all.

The hood flap just ended up flattening to my forehead like a tumpline - don't expect it to shed water well, or keep rain off glasses / sunglasses.

Overall, it works, and just has all of the quirks that others have mentioned above.

BBob

WKR
Wind shell update. I've been wearing it quite a bit. The lower pockets have turned out great. Just right for dropping a spare magazine or flashlight or anything else you might want to access quickly and easily. I have a strong feeling they were designed more for this purpose rather than a place to keep your hands warm. Velcro patches in the upper pockets let you add EDC utility panels or anything velcro. Pens, flashlight, a little 380 right where you want them without digging around. Has handled wind and light rain fine. I've gotten used to the main zipper too. So far so good!