Recommendations for backpacking pillow

7JK

Lil-Rokslider
Hey guys just looking to see what you use while in the backcountry for a pillow. I’ve used my puffy jacket before but my neck always seems to get jacked up from doing that so looking into a different route.

Trial153

WKR
I have the therma rest and klymit ...the thermarest is three times the weight and ten times better.
Go try a nemo Fillo as they are getting good reviews

I've tried quite a few pillows over the last decade or so and being the weenie minimalist that I am, my absolute favorite is a large HMG stuff sack pillow. It weighs about 1.5 oz., has a nice soft fleece side, and doubles as a very water resistant stuff sack. When I'm going UL for 1-2 night spikes, I can fit my entire sleep system (shelter, quilt, pad, and bivy), inside of it.

Last edited:

Trr15

WKR
I've tried several over the past few years. Inflatable (cant stand them - feels like a balloon), inflatable/synthetic fill combo (not much better than inflatable) and compressible memory foam. By far, I prefer the compressible memory foam. They're heavier and bulkier, but much more comfortable to me. I use one in combination with a puffy jacket and sleep reasonably well.

swanny

Lil-Rokslider
My go to has been the EXPED Down Pillow. Down fill with an inflatable bladder. The trick I've found for most inflatable pillows is to only inflate the pillow about 30% full.

Clarence

WKR
+1 for the Nemo fillo. I have the smaller one. Packs and weighs tiny. Adequate for me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

stump06

WKR
I have the Therm-a-Rest Compressible medium pillow and love it. Its bulky but it sleeps just like my pillow at home

Jbehredt

WKR
Light weight adventures I tolerate a sea to summit inflatable. The Nemo fillo that my wife handed down to me is much preferred. She moved on to a thermarest job that’s a compressible, chunked memory foam version of a real pillow. Roughly doubles in size when uncompressed. Nice, but heavy and bulky. I’ll probably end up with one after deciding the Nemo still isn’t comfy enough.

Trial153

WKR
Light weight adventures I tolerate a sea to summit inflatable. The Nemo fillo that my wife handed down to me is much preferred. She moved on to a thermarest job that’s a compressible, chunked memory foam version of a real pillow. Roughly doubles in size when uncompressed. Nice, but heavy and bulky. I’ll probably end up with one after deciding the Nemo still isn’t comfy enough.
I think you saved me 50 bucks. I have the same thermarest job...its decent. But I thought the fillo might be more comfortable. From what your saying....I should probbly hold off

I use a lightweight (5oz) and compressible, half air/half stuffed neck pillow. It is my neck that wants the support, not my head.

Jbehredt

WKR
I think you saved me 50 bucks. I have the same thermarest job...its decent. But I thought the fillo might be more comfortable. From what your saying....I should probbly hold off

The fillo is decent. You don’t forget that there’s a balloon under the foam layer but you don’t feel like you have to try to stay on it either. We’ll get a few nights on the thermarest side by side with the fillo this week. Can add my thoughts after the trip.

Poser

WKR
I have a Goosefeet Gear down pillow that I purchased through Titanium Goat. It’s pretty small but has a sleeve that you can stuff other clothes into to beef it up. It’s the best option I have tried, but I’ve only tried an inflatable (skates away to easily unless you have a mummy bag) and a stuff sack with clothes (I still do this two for a second pillow).