Recoil killing my cheek!!

Chad44

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy asked me to check some forums for him about the recoil of his muzzy. It's a tradition style .54 cal. With the stolid wood stock. He was complaining about it nailing his cheek bone. Of coarse I razzed him and he then handed me the gun and he wasn't lying. I shot it twice and handed it back. My cheek is still a little sore. He shoots 100 grains and is using conical bullets (think power belts). Seems to just jump straight up into your cheek bone. My shoulder didn't feel a thing. I just thought this was odd. Does he need to just suck it up or what????
Thanks

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Sell it.
You'll probably save time and money just starting over. If he's cheap, there are cheap muzzleloaders to be had that don't kick you in the face. 100 grains isn't that much.

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
My .50 cal hawken does the same thing. Im thinking of selling it and going modern. Check out traditions.com and check out the special deals. Pretty good deals on muzzies.

I don't know the technical term for it but if you look at the cheek piece on the Weatherby rifles the gun actually comes off of your face upon recoil and I am guessing the stock on your muzzy is bass ackwards.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
franklinmanklin- you're right! I was thinking the same principle but couldn't remember the term.

BnB

FNG
Had the same problem. Read a article on shotgun fit and if you had this problem to lengthen the stock or add a longer recoil pad. I had a old recoil pad around and thought I would try it on my TC 54. Put in on and no problems. That was 25 yrs ago.