Reco some trekking poles

Tex68w

WKR
We will be in SW CO mid November for rifle elk and mule deer. I don't own any trekking poles but given my hip and just the general terrain I figure it's a good idea to have a set on me. I have little to no experience with them so I am looking for suggestions.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
Another vote for the Cascade Mountain Tech/Costco poles. They're the best value for a set of poles that you can find. Andrew Skurka who is a backpacking guide has a solid review of them. review

Two things I'd consider when looking for poles:
  1. I'd go with aluminum, especially for off trail travel. Carbon poles will snap if you jam them between a rock and they can't rotate. Aluminum will bend, so you may still be able to utilize the pole.
  2. I'm a personal fan of a cork grip. I never found the foam to be as comfortable.
I have a pair of the carbon Cascade poles and the aluminum Black Diamond Alpine -Z poles. The Black Diamond poles get the majority of use during hunting season simply because they're aluminum. Albeit the z fold design isn't as robust as the normal style poles.

sndmn11

WKR
Komperdell C3 cloud

Might be on sale at some.places now. Good cork, aluminum hardware instead of plastic, among the lightest, European made, very strong. I've cracked parts of the Cascade poles before, but they are inexpensive. This was an incline much steeper than stairs, and with the weight, splitting a pole would have meant a big tumble and bad owies, the Komperdells did great as my anchor.

20230916_130751.jpg

Wrongside

WKR
Myself and buds have had long-term good service from Black Diamond Alpine Carbon Corks. Kinda pricy now tho.

alexnelon

FNG
Cascade mountain aluminum poles are solid.

The all-carbon fiber poles all break eventually. There’s a reason sissy stix/peax are hybrid with aluminum lower sections.