Peax Z style Cork Trekking Poles

Brent

Lil-Rokslider
I used a new set of Peax Z style cork handle trekking poles on my recent Kodiak goat hunt. I wasn't pleased with them, but in an attempt to be constructive, here are some areas for product improvement if Peax sees this forum.

Early in the hunt, one of my new poles snapped at one of the carbon joints during normal use while traversing a small boulder field with minimal weight in my pack.

1. Pole flex: These poles flex a lot. I regard this as the primary reason for the failure I experienced. I cannot trust these poles to provide adequate support when packing heavy loads of gear or meat.

2. Inadequate internal cable tension: When pressing the poles into a soft ground surface, the ground applied enough tension to the pole tip to allow the pole sections to separate 1/4"-1/2" during retraction. This section separation caused a "clacking" sound when the sections snapped back together. I initially tried to use the rubber feet supplied with the poles to keep the tips from penetrating soft soil, but the rubber feet disappeared somewhere on the mountain during my first hike.

3. The adjustment clasp: It's plastic, much like cheap quality poles from Amazon. Since these come at a high tier price point, they should have high tier hardware. Other high tier poles (MSR, Black Diamond, etc.) use heavy duty aluminum adjustment clasps.

I was able to baby my remaining pole through a successful hunt, but it wasn't optimal. My overall opinion is that they're not ready for primetime mountain hunting.

Peax replaced the broken pole through warranty, but the poles will most likely collect dust on my gear shelf. I would feel guilty passing them off to someone else.

Last edited: