Argali Trekking Poles

Yomomma

FNG
Anyone have real time experience on the new argali trekking poles? I am considering them heavily for my next set. I’m curious if anyone knows how they feel compared to the black diamond alpine carbon poles?

I’ve just been rocking a cheap Amazon set for the last few years, tried out my buddies black diamond alpine carbon poles the other day and didn’t realize what I was missing, they are amazing! I like that the argali is threaded 1/4-20 on the top of the pole, just want to know how they compare stability and vibration wise.

fishslap

WKR
I just got mine (carbon x). I haven’t used them yet but here are my initial impressions and comparison to my Leki carbon lite that I’ve been using for many years. I can post pics later if needed.

One leki is 7 oz. One Argali is 7 5/8 oz.

Leki has twist lock legs. Never had much of an issue with them except slipping once or twice recently and had a tough time getting a lock on one last year. Twist lock is very slim. Argali has snap lock which are quicker and easier and likely more robust over time. Design is slim for snap lock with minimal protrusion but of course there is more compared to twist lock.

Snow basket is a little bigger on the Leki if it matters. Distance between tip to snow basket it a little more on the argali (might sink a bit more).

Grip on Leki is contoured differently with the lower protrusion on the rear and sticking out more which helps keep your hand from slipping. It has one upper contour on the front. The top has a longer protrusion forward. I like these features to keep my hand from slipping at different angles or without a strong grip, and the top allows me to grip/palm better directly on top. Argali has a smaller lower protruding contour on the front, no upper contour, smaller grip area overall (almost too small for my hands), and thinner Eva foam. It also has a slim top profile that is a bit hard with more defined edge than the Leki. This might make it less user friendly to palm when going downhill or off a ledge, etc. For me, the grip design might take some getting used to compared to my current setup.

The main thing I like about the argali is the quick shot adapter. I could see myself keeping a pole at full height sometimes or putting it there when stalking or calling, especially during muzzleloader season. I’m a little over 5’10” and could probably get a good rest at full height by opening my stance or bending at the knees a bit.

I hope this helps. I might use them this weekend.

Last edited: