Recently missed a caribou on a hunt of a lifetime. What caused the miss?

@Elite Also, without knowing your means of acquiring DOPE or the rangefinder used, something as simple as not accounting for Density Altitude could make for a decent change in the ballistics, that when stacked with shooting error, could cause a miss.

TaperPin

WKR
Of course we’ll never know - what a big bummer.

In general when diagnosing things, the human operator is most likely cause, then electrical, then hydraulic (doesn’t apply), and finally mechanical.

Dialing the wrong number under pressure is pretty common. Hearing/seeing one number and thinking another. Do you ever transpose numbers in your head? Just getting the correct body/rifle angle must have been a challenge, which is a flashing warning.

Wonky reading with the laser wouldn’t be unheard of. That’s a steeper angle than almost any of us take readings at which stands out as a flashing warning - I’ve had electronic construction level finders give a wonky reading, but a second or third reading was correct.

Mechanically, other than losing zero, a 3+ MOA first shot shift is a lot - I’d think it would take a baffle strike, a big chunk of flaked off carbon in the muzzle, a week firing pin barely igniting the primer, or an ammo issue. Wet freezing conditions could have a little ice in the bolt slowing down the firing pin - the time it happened to me the firing pin had to fall three times to set it off and the bullet landed almost 2 moa off.

I’d chuck it up to one of the mysteries of life if you can’t find an obvious answer.

Still, you’ll remember that one 20 years from now.

Last edited:

mcr-85

WKR
I just got back from a hunt that was planned years ago. I missed a caribou and wondering if anyone has any insight or helpful feedback on what could’ve happened.

The shot was at a 32 degree angle up hill at 410 yards. Clean miss under his belly.

My range finder was using the angle compensating feature. So I don’t think that was the issue. After the miss I also tried using the line of sight feature and plugging the angle in my ballistic app and it gave the same MOA adjustment.

I practiced more then I have ever shot this summer at ranges out to 800 yards off my pack for field conditions.

I was steady and breathing was under control and everything felt proper but a clean miss.

Anyone have any insight on what could’ve happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What did your rangefinder give you for line of sight?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

SloppyJ

WKR
Most things that I can think of would cause a high miss.

What about the ammo used? More specifically the powder. Did you load it? What was the difference in temperature from when you shot on the trip compared to the average that you encoutered when you got your dope?

The most important question is have you verified the scope since the hunt?

Wrench

WKR
What was the correction call? Any potential for interference from brush?

32* shots are tough to not shoot high.

LaHunter

WKR
Describe your shooting position / rest during the shot?
Getting a solid shooting position / rest at that angle would be a challenge.
Did you spot your impact, or did one of your hunting partners?

Something is way off. If you’re a middle of the body shooter as I am, and assuming a big caribou is 18” brisket to spine, you missed at least 10” low.

I’m betting something structural.

P

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
I dialled for the distance. I am heading out soon to verify the scope is still sighted in but everything looks tight on it.

That’s what I initially thought happened but the caribou didn’t flinch or move at all. They all grouped up after the shot so couldn’t get a ethical follow up shot. We glassed them for a long time after and he didn’t show any signs of being hit at all. They made there way out of the valley and over the ridge. We spent several days trying to relocate them

What did you dial? What’s your velocity and bullet?

A 400 yard shot isn’t that far…definitely not far enough for atmospheric conditions to make a difference. Had to be either shooter error or mechanical failure. Coming from somebody who used to own some expensive scope that had massive zero shifts from travel alone, I am leaning towards the scope.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Describe your shooting position / rest during the shot?
Getting a solid shooting position / rest at that angle would be a challenge.
Did you spot your impact, or did one of your hunting partners?

Laying down with my pack and a small gear bag as the rear support. I never spotted the shot. Hunting partner did

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
What was the correction call? Any potential for interference from brush?

32* shots are tough to not shoot high.

Dial for that distance was 7.4 moa. There was a possible tree branch but might be grasping at straws there or making excuses

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Most things that I can think of would cause a high miss.

What about the ammo used? More specifically the powder. Did you load it? What was the difference in temperature from when you shot on the trip compared to the average that you encoutered when you got your dope?

The most important question is have you verified the scope since the hunt?

They were factory eldm 140s. Same box I verified zero before the hunt

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
Parallax would be my guess.

Could parallax throw it off that much? My last scope never had parallax adjustment and I took many successful shots past 400