Recently missed a caribou on a hunt of a lifetime. What caused the miss?

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
The shot was at a 32 degree angle up hill at 410 yards. Clean miss under his belly.
Anyone have any insight on what could’ve happened?

You were too far away and should have moved in closer.

Not being a jerk. I missed a tahr on steep upward angle because I refused to try to stalk closer as well. There is a lot to go wrong in high angle shooting and closing the distance is always the easiest way to fix it.

Good ole' MallardSX2 with yet another Dipshit comment. You are on a roll with contributing nothing....

OP- Check zero and get back to us

Followed up by a dipshit comment telling a guy to check his zero and get back to us. lol

What a brilliant suggestion that I’m sure the guy never considered until he came across your stroke of genius post.

I should have told him to just huntharder.

Last edited:

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Dial for that distance was 7.4 moa. There was a possible tree branch but might be grasping at straws there or making excuses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After confirming your zero, I played with the solution again, and if I removed the shot angle of 32, I could get very close to your hold of 7.4. How did you come up with the solution of 7.4MOA?

Look at it this way. At least you didn’t get a poor hit on the animal and couldn’t find it. That’s worse in my book…and yes, it’s happened to me. That one taught me to practice more…which has paid off greatly.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Was thinking about you OP when some caribou crossed the highway in front of me heading back from my buddies cabin down to Anchorage on Sunday.

IMG_8732.jpeg

Sounds like you checked zero and your gun was good?

If that’s the case and wind was minimal (no updraft or downdraft down range) then it sounds like a good old fashioned missed shot. Happens to all of us as hard as it is to swallow.

Is there any difference in elevation between where you live/practice with your rifle and the elevation where you took the shot at the caribou?

LightFoot

WKR
I just got back from a hunt that was planned years ago. I missed a caribou and wondering if anyone has any insight or helpful feedback on what could’ve happened.

The shot was at a 32 degree angle up hill at 410 yards. Clean miss under his belly.

My range finder was using the angle compensating feature. So I don’t think that was the issue. After the miss I also tried using the line of sight feature and plugging the angle in my ballistic app and it gave the same MOA adjustment.

I practiced more then I have ever shot this summer at ranges out to 800 yards off my pack for field conditions.

I was steady and breathing was under control and everything felt proper but a clean miss.

Anyone have any insight on what could’ve happened?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been there. It’s either an equipment failure or shooter error. If you’ve ruled out the dial up calculation, the turret function, the rings/base, and the ammunition, then it’s likely shooter error. The error is either ranging something in the foreground so your shot was longer than you thought or just buck fever.

>>>——JAKE——>