Real world experience with Ulmer Edge?

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
Has anyone seen the effectiveness of Ulmer Edge broadheads on elk yet this year? I saw the photos of Aron's great deer on another thread and it looked like the Ulmers were devastating, but I'd like to hear more first hand accounts before I commit to a mechanical.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think that vast majority of us have seen much elk hunting this year. I killed my Nevada buck with them and it was almost unbelievable how much blood poured out in 50 yards before it died. I can tell you that on September 14th I will be hunting elk and I am going to shoot them with Ulmer Edge. The mechanicals are generally not and elk head, but I am going to try it as they are so accurate, sharp and built solidly that I am giving them a chance.

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
One of the guys I was hunting with in Wyoming was using them. They were devastating. I'm personally not a fan of mechanical broadheads on elk but they produced overwhelming hemorrhaging.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider
As an update to my own post, my hunting partner downed a Colorado bull and I took a Wyoming cow with Ulmers and they were incredible. Neither animal went more than 50 yards with well placed shots (mine was a little forward, but was a double lung shot that passed through both scapulae). The damage was completely devastating.

JNDEER

WKR
As an update to my own post, my hunting partner downed a Colorado bull and I took a Wyoming cow with Ulmers and they were incredible. Neither animal went more than 50 yards with well placed shots (mine was a little forward, but was a double lung shot that passed through both scapulae). The damage was completely devastating.

How close was your cow? A mech pass through going through both scaps seems very impressing.... got any pics?

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
Two friends of mine both killed elk this fall with these heads. I also killed an antelope. None of these animals went 100 yards after the shot. Awesome heads.

ktowncamo

WKR
My buddy got a double lung from a treestand on a 178" buck here in Utah using the Ulmer and it went 30 yards. Sure, any other broadhead would likely do similar. He was stoked at the entry hole size.

I have 3 in my quiver, but still opted for the Grim Reeper on my bull which died 41 yards from the shot location. Hard not to continue to trust the reliability of the GM.

Booyah

FNG
I tried to order them for September elk hunt, but they weren't available yet. Went with the Shuttle T-Locks instead. The Ulmers look awesome, I would love some feedback as well, especially on some not so perfect shot placement shots...

I have a TON of customers who used them and my boss. The 2 bulls that I know of were both taken by shop owners in Colorado. Neither bull went 80 yds both double lung hits. Neither produced any blood (none pass throughs) and the hits were mid body in height so the cavity had to fill up but the heads did their job perfectly.

I have my back-up bow set-up with them for Kansas I'll be headed that way in a week and a half.

OP
R

rye_a

Lil-Rokslider

Scoutman

FNG
I took a cow at 25 yards through both shoulders with an ulmer,very impressed and will continue to use them in future.Did not pass thru but was out the other shoulder nicely.Went maybe 50 yards