Real World 7 PRC Hunting Experience

jreyna

FNG
Howdy guys. I know the 7 PRC has really only been out a season or two but I wanted to get some feedback on real world experience hunting with it.

So Past/Present 7 PRC owners who have hunted with it...what are your thoughts on performance/capability? What did you like/dislike about it and what ranges and game did you hunt with it?

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The specific cartridge is really irrelevant if you compare terminal bullet performance of 7mm. Don’t over think it too much. The 7PRC is a proven design brought to that caliber, so the case only improves factory available options for high BC ammo and rifles with a fast enough twist to shoot it.

My experience with hand loaded 280 AI, 7 Rem mag with fast twist to shoot 180 VLD , and 7 SS show that you can effectively kill out to whatever range you can put the bullet in the lungs at or over 1600 fps for Berger and Hornady match bullets.

My rifle has killed deer and elk out to 1000 with 180 VLD (in appropriate conditions). A 280 AI I loaded for a friend killed out to 630 with 168 VLD.

It’s devastating at typical ranges inside 200 yards. It destroyed a coues deer shot in a hard quartering at 720 yards, so I built a smaller easier rifle to shoot with less recoil but same ballistic drop in elevation. The heavier 7mm 180 VLD has much better wind drift performance than the 25 cal 133 Berger.

All that matters is projectile and speed.

7 rem mag & 28 nosler are similar and have been well proven. 140-190 7mm bullets going 2800-3400 are effective and efficient large game hunting tools.

Once the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn’t matter what the cartridge is, it’s just a 175 grain 7mm for example.

But to be clear 7 prc or similar are very effective on all North American game at velocities above 1800-2000 fps @ impact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The bullet will react the exact same with the same velocity. Can have variances. But that don’t meant it was a 7 mag shooting a 180 at 2950. If was a 7 prc at same velocity would be a different result.