Real ID/Enhanced drivers license

def90

WKR
Yes it's a thing... And to the people that are complaining about states rights Real ID actually goes against states like California that give IDs and drivers licenses to illegals as only a person with a US birth certificate or other documentation showing that they are in fact a US citizen can get a Real ID. In those states people that are not citizens will still get their drivers licenses but they will not be marked with the Real ID star emblem.

All the Real ID act does is require proof of citizenship as well as a somewhat standardized layout of what information is required to be listed on the ID.

In my state they are going to or are already requiring it to purchase ammo. I am so in the system from background checks, including FBI bakgrounds, that I got mine long ago.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Last time I moved I went ahead and got my Real ID, didn't take any longer than getting a regular driver's license. Just had to take a couple more documents with me. It's a nothing burger.

OP
F
All the Real ID act does is require proof of citizenship as well as a somewhat standardized layout of what information is required to be listed on the ID.
Proof of citizenship is proven by birth certificate or naturalization papers. Not by specialized papers. Treading very closely to Gestapo level.
In my state they are going to or are already requiring it to purchase ammo. I am so in the system from background checks, including FBI bakgrounds, that I got mine long ago.
What state is this? A DL is not proof enough of age and residency in a state any longer?

For those saying it is easy. I get it. But that is not the concern. The concern is that this is one more piece of control by the Feds.

def90

WKR
Proof of citizenship is proven by birth certificate or naturalization papers. Not by specialized papers. Treading very closely to Gestapo level.

What state is this? A DL is not proof enough of age and residency in a state any longer?

For those saying it is easy. I get it. But that is not the concern. The concern is that this is one more piece of control by the Feds.

Licenses are issued by the state, the Feds don’t receive any of the info. REAL ID simply requires that the person that receives a REAL ID show proof of citizenship when they get it from their state as well as it lays out a set of standards for security (to prevent forgeries) and the data displayed on the license.

“Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits certain federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards. These purposes are:

• Accessing certain federal facilities
  • Boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft
  • Entering nuclear power plants”

Ca. The funny thing about getting my RealId is the Ca finally got my name correct. When I first got a Ca drivers license, the DMV woman insisted I have a middle name, when I do not have one. So she gave me one. So now with the RealId, all of my identifying documents have the same name.

7mm-08

WKR
Licenses are issued by the state, the Feds don’t receive any of the info. REAL ID simply requires that the person that receives a REAL ID show proof of citizenship when they get it from their state as well as it lays out a set of standards for security (to prevent forgeries) and the data displayed on the license.

“Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act enacted the 9/11 Commission's recommendation that the Federal Government “set standards for the issuance of sources of identification, such as driver's licenses.” The Act established minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards and prohibits certain federal agencies from accepting for official purposes licenses and identification cards from states that do not meet these standards. These purposes are:

• Accessing certain federal facilities
  • Boarding federally regulated commercial aircraft
  • Entering nuclear power plants”
This...

OP
F
Every level of gov receives info on anything when they want it enough. My status of citizenship is filed with my birth certificate information. There is absolutely no reason that I should have to have an id that is marked a special way to show my citizenship. The states hold the power for interstate travel through their territories not the feds, this is giving the feds power to say nope you can't travel within the US freely.

The Patriot Act was a pure stripping of rights "for the better good", under Republicans no less. The new Ban TikTok bill is not specifically about banning TikTok. It is more about giving power to fed agencies to snoop and collect data on citizens without a warrant.

sneaky

"DADDY"

Do you carry your birth certificate with you everywhere you go?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TJ

WKR
Wisconsin does not require a real ID drivers license, it is optional. If you want to fly you can get a passport. Oregon is the same way you can get a real ID drivers license or not.

MattB

WKR
Wisconsin does not require a real ID drivers license, it is optional. If you want to fly you can get a passport. Oregon is the same way you can get a real ID drivers license or not.
Does any state actually require it? My understanding is it is solely required for specific federal-level situations (flying commercially/TSA and access to federal facilities).

tony

WKR
I have mine.
I remember the hassle to gather all the documents and waiting in line with and old guy that told me he was born on his families farm and didn’t have a birth certificate and had to get one for this in his late 80’s.

And in typical government fashion, I happened to look across the floor while at the DMV and there was a sign that read, “Hey! Dead beat welfare leaches! We know you don’t pay bills, have any sort of the required documents. Call this number or ask the DM for extra special help getting your “real ID”.

I think the idea was spun from the terrorist era. I found getting a passport a whole lot easier and I use it whenever I fly instead of my DL

P Carter

WKR
Every level of gov receives info on anything when they want it enough. My status of citizenship is filed with my birth certificate information. There is absolutely no reason that I should have to have an id that is marked a special way to show my citizenship. The states hold the power for interstate travel through their territories not the feds, this is giving the feds power to say nope you can't travel within the US freely.

The Patriot Act was a pure stripping of rights "for the better good", under Republicans no less. The new Ban TikTok bill is not specifically about banning TikTok. It is more about giving power to fed agencies to snoop and collect data on citizens without a warrant.
I say this with all respect, but it’s been well established for several centuries that the states do not have the power to regulate interstate commerce. It’s actually the opposite: the feds hold the power to regulate interstate travel. Called the dormant commerce clause. Not saying the patriot act isn’t flawed, just noting that you’ll have to rethink your bases for criticizing it…

TJ

WKR
Does any state actually require it? My understanding is it is solely required for specific federal-level situations (flying commercially/TSA and access to federal facilities).
I don’t think so. I believe it’s entirely op.
Do not want to fly or travel other countries, then quit worrying about it.

My wife's been ich bin juden'd.

I haven't, and will continue with a passport and id. I proved once I was who I said I was to get it, not double proving it just to get a fancy star of David.

No conspiracy, just have zero want to prove I am something to the .gov

SWOHTR

WKR
Was an ID resident living out of state (in CA). Active duty Navy. Wanted to get the star card/real ID. Couldn’t because we couldn’t meet the “residency proof requirements” even though my LES clearly stated “ID.”

Wrote the congressman on that one and got a “pack sand” in response. Now we’re WA residents.