Real ID/Enhanced drivers license

HAs anyone heard if this is still going to happen? If you don't know what it is. It is a standard and data base that the Feds are putting on states to mark drivers license. You have to have this, or passport, to get through TSA and into some other Federal regulated facilities.

This goes against states rights to control travel across their own boarders.

https://www.dhs.gov/real-id/real-id-faqs

tdhanses

WKR
I’ve had mine for a while now, no different then having a passport in my mind.

Curmudgeon

Lil-Rokslider
In my state you aren't required to have it. You can choose to to get a standard ID or driver's license you just won't be able to enter most federal facilities or board an airplane.

I have mine, but only because I fly occasionally. The feds keep pushing off the deadline. Just makes it so you don't have to have a passport. I'm sure eventually they will stop pushing off the deadline. If you have a current passport you can use that instead. We can also just pick up a standard DL here as well.

Wrench

WKR
One of the luxuries of a cdl. I get to pay for stuff I don't want because it's attached to the bottom line.

hunterjmj

WKR
Went ahead and got the real Id before my old license expired. You can still get a regular dl. I think I had to bring in my Birth certificate and 2 pieces of mail from a utility or something.

NB7

WKR
Best part of renewing your license and updating to the real ID was the fact that the MVA would not recognize your current driver's license (the one they gave you) as a proper form of ID. Had to bring other things like passport, utility bill, birth certificate, etc.
Oh yeah, all while issuing DLs to undocumented (aka illegal) immigrants.
This was Maryland anyway.

Best part of renewing your license and updating to the real ID was the fact that the MVA would not recognize your current driver's license (the one they gave you) as a proper form of ID. Had to bring other things like passport, utility bill, birth certificate, etc.
Oh yeah, all while issuing DLs to undocumented (aka illegal) immigrants.
This was Maryland anyway.
They had to have my birth cert, because a current DL wasn't enough to renew.

Except all the birth cert people asked me for was a current DL

Dmv could not understand my argument that a DL get you a DL, if a DL gets your Birth Cert

EdP

WKR
I got mine several months ago. It was very easy so long as you make sure you have all the proper docs when you go to get it. I took my docs to the DMV, filled out the forms, and had my new Real ID DL in the mail within a week. It wasn't required in Va yet but my DL needed to be renewed so I got it out of the way.
I have a passport but only fly when driving is not an option. On western hunts and other long trips I don't take my passport with me. If something unplanned happened like a crash or injury, I might need to fly home. Without the passport or Real ID you are not going to be able to fly once the program is implemented on a federal level.

NB7

WKR
They had to have my birth cert, because a current DL wasn't enough to renew.

Except all the birth cert people asked me for was a current DL

Dmv could not understand my argument that a DL get you a DL, if a DL gets your Birth Cert
Lol, yeah 'round and 'round we go.

OP
F
This is suppose to take affect in 2025. So it is not required at this time but will eventually. Some how this is being flown as part of the Patriot Act. It seems the same requirements to for the Real ID are those that you need for the TSA pre-approved status. Which all ends up in another data base for the feds, when they already can get all this info, just not in one place.

I do not receive paper bills at home. Everything is online. So now I will have to go through the hassle of printing all that off. When the Feds want everything to be paperless.

Guess this is just a rant of one more freedom and right restricted. There is no reason to have to show a Passport or other form of ID to travel within the US.

FatCampzWife

Lil-Rokslider
I've had three last names, been married twice, divorced once, & lived at four different addresses in the past 20 yrs... I was VERY happy to get an enhanced DL, as dragging along all that paperwork everytime was stupid.

Rich M

WKR
Yeah - I had to bring like 3 other types of ID to get my latest DL. It's "real" now.

Passports will still be required far as I know.