reading recommendations

top pin

FNG
Looking for a couple of good books to take on a week trip to Maya Tulum, Mexico in a couple of weeks. Thanks for any suggestions.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Where men find glory(The Pat Tillman odyssey). Damn good book.

gman82001

WKR
If you want some easy reading outdoors type humor grab a few pat mcmanus books... My uncle bought me rubber legs and whitetail hairs when I had my appendix out way back in high school. I had to wait to read it because it hurt to laugh lol .... Been 21 yrs and ill still pick it up and read it once a year or so

Depends on what you like to read.

Faith of my Fathers by John McCain is a great read.
Lone Survivor.
American sniper (about Chris Kyle)

These 3 are probably my top favorites, if you like reading History/Political books I can give you quite a few more recomendations.

Also don't forget to utilize your library!

PS thanks Ryan for adding that book, I wasn't aware of it. I just added it to my list.

mtnwrunner(Trandy)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Any of Vince Flynn's or Stephen Hunters' books. They're all good.

Or you could pick up the recent best seller "Hard Choices" by Hillary Clinton..........:p (OKAY, OKAY, just kidding. Actually, that title should have been used by Monica Lewinsky.............)

Randy

Browtine

WKR
The Last Season by Eric Blehm. It's about the life and mysterious disappearance of a 28 year veteran NPS Ranger in Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park.

The Last Season by Eric Blehm. It's about the life and mysterious disappearance of a 28 year veteran NPS Ranger in Sequoia-Kings Canyon National Park.

Great Read! I had forgotten that one.

American Sniper is great too.

Into thin air-Krakauer(anything by him is good)

Touching the void-more mountain climbing stuff
Eiger dreams-short stories.

I am not a mountain climbing nut, but a friend gave me the three above and were good reads.

CoSwede

FNG
Gordon MacQuarrie Trilogy - Stories of the Old Duck Hunters, More Stories of the Old Duck Hunters and Last Stories of the Old Duck Hunters. These are short stories pulled from hunting and fishing magazines from the 1930s-1940s. The subject matter of the stories varies from hunting, fishing, camping etc. This set was given to me in the mid 1980s and I've read them dozens of times. Definitely vacation-worthy in my opinion.

Ben

WKR
American Buffalo by Steven Rinella. I've read it twice now. Available on CD and download too so you can listen to it while driving. Joe Rogan has had Steven Rinella on his podcast multiple times now that you can download for free. All of them are very interesting sand filled with great information.

Boys in the Boat: Story of the 1936 gold medal winning Wa crew team. Kicked Hitlers butt. Written by the same guy who wrote Seabiscuit-great story.

Wolves in Salmon Country: Written by a tracker so pretty much agenda free while acknowledging the different user groups agenda's.

Sun Tzu at Gettysburg: Awesome read for military history buffs. Shows how Sun Tzu's Art of War predicted just about every battle in history.

The Dogs of War: Great book on military working dogs past to present

The following authors are pretty darn good, IMO:
Jon Krakauer
Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods was pretty funny
Pete Fromm - Indian Creek Chronicles: A Winter Alone in the Wilderness
Steven Rinella

As previously mentioned, The Lone Survivor, American Sniper and The Last Season were good reads as well.

Tiger: A true story of vengeance and survival or The golden Spruce (both by John Valiant) . The last season was also a good book BUT 2nd to the John Valiant book IMO. Enjoy your trip !