Reading Elk Rubs

I'm in my second year of hunting in west, and although I have spent hundreds of hours scouting public land, I currently have 0 Elk kills and would consider myself an absolute novice in the species. This past weekend, while on another seemingly futile scouting trip during archery opening weekend, I came a across an area that had several fresh rubs within 100 meter radius (I'm estimating). I spent several hours out in the area and located fresh tracks and fresh droppings (large amounts of both), but no luck on spotting or getting any response to cow calls. What I am not sure about is will this area likely still be active by the last week of September or will they have moved on. I am on an archery tag and planned on focusing on the last week of September when I think they would be most responsive to my calls, but now I am thinking about moving my vacation days up to take advantage of this newly discovered active area. Any thoughts by anyone who may have better insight on working off of this type of sign would be greatly appreciated, because short of YouTube videos and podcasts I have pretty much no idea what I'm doing. Thanks.

Following, since it's my first year and I can definitely see myself having similar questions. aot-all-those-neho-teander-are-lost-but-sure-as-5501540.png

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
Correct me if I'm wrong but it depends if it's an area where they just rub off their velvet then they may not have been far off being it's so early in the season. Was it just fresh rubs or was there rubs dating back multiple years? You want the area where he's just shredding trees and breaking branches to burn off testosterone and show dominance not the kind where they shed velvet. If it's the velvet shredding kind of rub he won't be there late September in my experience.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
J
They looked pretty fresh, but there were a lot, so some might have been old. It looked like the area had seen significant usage, but I dont know enough about rubs to determine the age

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

I’m betting it was a velvet shedding area, bulls typical don’t rub big trees during the rut but look for smaller ones they can beat up on to show dominance. Typically a group of bachelor bulls will all shed velvet in the same area then begin moving off to their areas looking for cows. I have found spots like you’re talking and haven’t had any luck. I find areas with broken saplings and torn up trees less that 3” as seems rutty bulls are in that area more.
I doubt they will be in that area in a month, probably were in there a week to a month ago and now have moved on the where the cows are at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wytx

WKR
With multiple years of rubs, I would hunt it but wait til activity picks up. You may have already scented it up though.

OP
J
Thanks, I think that makes a lot of sense. There are a couple meadows not too far at a little higher elevation than where I found this spot, that looks to be a couple hundred feet below tree line. That is the area I am hoping to find a lot of activity towards the end of the month, so I think I will stick with that plan.

OP
J
With multiple years of rubs, I would hunt it but wait til activity picks up. You may have already scented it up though.
Yeah, you are probably right, but I guess I didnt know what I was into until I saw all of the rubs. I will leave it alone for a couple weeks and come back towards the end of the month and mind the wind on the way in. Thanks.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I like the rubs where all the pine branches are all freshly laying at the base of the tree, and the 5" diameter tree is uprooted and almost laying on the ground.(y)

Kind of like the wallows that have mud flung up 20 feet into a tree and a blanket of mud covering all the grass and plants in a 10 foot radius around the wallow.

Fishforfun

Lil-Rokslider
If you’re scouting and planning on coming back, I would put up some trail cams in places like this. If not this year, early next year. That will tell you a lot.

OP
J
If you’re scouting and planning on coming back, I would put up some trail cams in places like this. If not this year, early next year. That will tell you a lot.
Yeah thats a good idea, I had a couple back in the truck, but decided against walking back in there to hang them.

Marble

WKR
Yeah thats a good idea, I had a couple back in the truck, but decided against walking back in there to hang them.

Go hang a camera!!! Or a few.

Start the habit now when it comes to doing something during elk scouting or hunting that is out of your comfort zone. Imagine hanging it and confirming for sure a yes or no. How much time would have wasted if you didnt?

The two years in the last 17 that I have not been successful was because I got lazy.

Success occurs when hard work and opportunity come together. Make it happen!!

CX5Ranch

WKR
Could have been a big muley buck too

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Baerman

FNG
I find rubs between bedding areas and water or wallows. Typically they are near finger ridges or along a game trail. The bulls may leave these areas during pre-rut to start gathering cows but you may find the bulls back in the general area during the rut.

K

Kootenay Hunter

I take all the bark scraps, make a tea, drink it, then look at the fibers at the bottom of the pot (must be titanium). If they're mostly laying north, it's a big bull in the rut. If they are pointing in other directions, it's a velvet rub, move on, keep looking.

Marble

WKR
I take all the bark scraps, make a tea, drink it, then look at the fibers at the bottom of the pot (must be titanium). If they're mostly laying north, it's a big bull in the rut. If they are pointing in other directions, it's a velvet rub, move on, keep looking.
Thank you Obi Wan!