Reading Elk Rubs

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I found this tree a couple years ago and then came back one morning right at first light. The bull was within 50 yards of that tree, and he reacted immediately to my bugle. I was at full draw at 35 yards while he tore the heck out of another tree. It wouldn't have been long before he stepped out from behind it, and then the wind shifted.......done. He was a good bull.
100_3649.JPG

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
c7c7d344b950a2b325f87cc936791a77.jpg

If it smells like elk, you’re getting closer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J
Go hang a camera!!! Or a few.

Start the habit now when it comes to doing something during elk scouting or hunting that is out of your comfort zone. Imagine hanging it and confirming for sure a yes or no. How much time would have wasted if you didnt?

The two years in the last 17 that I have not been successful was because I got lazy.

Success occurs when hard work and opportunity come together. Make it happen!!

Went and pulled that camera today and I got this guys on there multiple times around 10:30pm and 6:30 am. there are a lot of cows with him, but he is the biggest bull I got on the camera. Going to try to figure out a plan to get him on the ground now... will see how that goes.

Attachments

• MFDC1052.JPG
    MFDC1052.JPG
    216.6 KB · Views: 33

jog

FNG
Rubs are a small part of the story and its the other stuff that is more important.
One season I was on a bull with cows that when they went into estrus was going to get bumped out, but anyway he was standing around a lot as the cows fed and since he was so jacked up and no where to go (so to speak) he rubbed trees. A lot of them. By the time they left the area he had rubbed at least 20. You would have thought it was elk central.