Rangefinding sights

Will_m

WKR
Anybody using these? Definitely seems like cheating, which I am not above in certain situations.

Any experiences good, bad, etc?

Beendare

WKR
Most of the guys I know that initially bought the Garmin are switching back for various reasons. A couple had the thing die on them, heavy, clunky. Out of about 6 guys I know that had them- all but one switched back.

Dennis

WKR
I have had good luck with the EZv ranging bow sight. They are simple easy to use, adjust and light weight. It is sort of like shooting instinctive. They are a pure hunting sight and designed (rings) for different arrow trajectory (speed). I use the rangefinding feature of the sight from zero to about 40 yards. Beyond that I use a rangefinder from 40-60 yards and limit myself to those distances for western hunting.

IMG_5185.jpeg

codym

WKR
Why is it cheating? We all use rangefinders why would one attached to your bow be cheating? I always wonder where people make the distinction between what is fair and what isn’t. Still got to make the shot chances of a guess on range causing a bad hit seems more ethical to me, but then again that’s just me. I personally would like to see less loss during archery season and if rangefinding sights can help I’m good with it.

NMJM

FNG
I have the Garmin Xero A1i. Like all sights there are pros and cons. At first I was not a fan. It took me a few months to get used to it. Now I really like it for hunting. For the cons it is a little heavy and bulky, in some situations it is more difficult to range things with brush around the target (I still carry a range finder as a back-up). For the pros, no forgetting to dial or return to zero, in high pressure situations you don't have to think about what pin to use, I like the sight picture of just one red dot in a clear optic, when ranging a target the reticle will let you know if you are torquing the bow, and the biggest pro is being able to range at full draw. If I only shot target and 3D I would probably choose a 1 pin slider. For hunting I feel the Garmin is a big advantage. I guess cheating is in the eye of the beholder. It doesn't do anything new but it does do everything a little better.

Marble

WKR
I've shot a few times with some guys in 3d shoots that use them. They work well until there is an odd lighting condition, brush, or a branch in the lane you are shooting in. Several times, they couldn't get them to work on certain situations. So I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

OP
W

Will_m

WKR
I didn’t realize they wouldn’t range just like a handheld rig. I could see that being a major problem.

Laned

WKR
They're illegal to hunt with in most western states

Sent from my SM-G715U1 using Tapatalk

NMJM

FNG
They're illegal to hunt with in most western states

I thought they were legal in most western states and only illegal in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana?

Laned

WKR
I thought they were legal in most western states and only illegal in Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana?
You're missing some states in that list. For instance, in Colorado's 2024 big game manual, "Scopes and electronic or battery-powered devices cannot be incorporated into or attached to bow or arrow, with the exception of lighted nocks on arrows. Recording devices such as cameras or video recorders attached to bows may be used as long as they do not cast light toward the target or aid in range finding, sighting or shooting the bow." This has remained relatively unchanged for years.

GreggB

FNG
I've sold 4 ( 3 compound 1 crossbow) in my shop and this was after trying to convince my customers not to. For eastern woods hunting where shots are close it's not needed. All 3 compound bow hunters have gone back to regular sights.

Sizthediz

WKR
I would suggest practicing with the range finding sight for a while before hunting with it. Definitely a "different " shot process. I've tried twice and just couldn't commit to the work to make the process second nature. Good luck they are cool and a lot easier than trying to remember how far that rock, patch of grass, bush or tree is.