Does choice of Arca-swiss plate matter?

jb_358

FNG
I know this may seem like kind of a dumb question, but has anyone had good or bad experiences with specific brands of Arca-swiss plates for spotters? I know the weight savings from one to another typically isn't much, but do certain ones attach better to a spotter with only one thread? Right now I have to re-tighten mine pretty consistently.

Outwest

WKR
I know this may seem like kind of a dumb question, but has anyone had good or bad experiences with specific brands of Arca-swiss plates for spotters? I know the weight savings from one to another typically isn't much, but do certain ones attach better to a spotter with only one thread? Right now I have to re-tighten mine pretty consistently.
I've never experienced any issues with different plates attaching to optics but there is definitely a difference with the plates attaching to different heads. Depending on how the plate is clamped onto the head, a different plate (even of the same make sometimes) will fit differently and require adjustment.

Outdoorsmans plates seem to be pretty good for me but they are a slightly different cut than my sirui plates. Both have held tight to the optic though.

Maybe a small dab of blue Loctite on your threads to hold it on.

TagEater

Lil-Rokslider
I bought some cheap Amazon plates and they would not secure to my tripod...fyi

Elmer J. Fudd

Lil-Rokslider
I had the same issue with looseness with cheap ones from Amazon. Did what outwest said and threw blue loctite on the threads. No more issues

OP
J

jb_358

FNG
Thank you everyone for your feedback... Came here thinking I needed a new plate and now it sounds like I need a local hardware store instead.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
I blue loctite each arca plate to whatever I’m attaching it to. I also use it where the head attaches to the tripod.