Blue/Green algae in the backcountry

tony

WKR
Lot of you hunt the backcountry and draw your water from sources in the area.
I got this email article and thought in might be relevant to some. Definitely opened my eyes, especially about animals being susceptible to the effects as well.
It’s worth the 20 minutes to watch

Lot of you hunt the backcountry and draw your water from sources in the area.
I got this email article and thought in might be relevant to some. Definitely opened my eyes, especially about animals being susceptible to the effects as well.
It’s worth the 20 minutes to watch

It's flat deadly to dogs. A lot of Southern Idaho's bodies of water that have ag runoff are susceptible to BG algae. Definitely something to keep in mind.

KurtR

WKR
Most of the ponds i train on here are shot till we get a good freeze. I know guys bought a tester to make sure the dogs dont get in any bad water. Alot of people treat the water on dedicated training water. I have gotten pretty good at spotting it but if i even have a little question i dont put the dog in it. Some dogs last year died in Utah when they ate some dried up stuff on shore that had bg algae on it and it was early spring.

We should start getting warnings here pretty soon. Cascade Reservoir, Lake Lowell and Brownlee are all hotspots.

I backpacked into Black Rock Lake in the Yolla Bolly Wilderness (northern California) last weekend to find it pea green and in the midst of some kind of bloom. There were no other water sources so we had to turn around and go to another spot. Not what I was expecting to see above 6000' and in a wilderness. I showed some close up photos to a coworker of mine who is an expert on cyanobacteria. He said it definitely looked like cyanobacteria. It reminded me of the importance of a plan B.

Attachments

• 20240825_133501.jpg
    20240825_133501.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 27