Rangefinders+Binoculars

cmeier117

WKR
Anyone running one of the Zeiss, Leica, Swaro or any other brand Binoculars with range finder as their only ranging device for bow hunting? What is your thought process on using it or not using it? What makes is appealing, or make you not like ranging with your binos?

ckleeves

WKR
I like the idea of them alot. I bought a pair of geovids a few years ago and I am left eye dominant and it was a weird deal using them I got a kind of double image on the reticle. I traded them to my boss for a pair of el's. A few other guys I hunt with use them and love them. I want to check out the el range and see if it will work for a lefty (if someone has a pair and wants to hold them upside down to switch eyes and let me know it would be awesome) I just wish they ranged closer but it isn't a huge deal. I can't really see a downside from hunting with the guys that have them, less to carry, always close, easier to hold steady, less to lose, (sounds stupid but I have gone on some long hikes to retrieve my rangefinder lol)

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
The combo is the best investment I ever made for hunting, along with the most expensive:) I run the Geovids with a cabelas harness. I primarily use them for rifle hunting only, as my archery shots are all under 25 yds. Just having one unit and shaving a few ounces versus two is extremely handy.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just started using the Swaro version about a month ago. Awesome system and really nice having the rangefinder at the ready at all times.

Last year I carried the Ziess Victory 10x45. Great binocular and rangefinder combo. Excellent glass. I had done the math and added up the weight of carrying a rangefinder and my binoculars (two items) or the Vistories (one item). The single item was my choice. I figured it was close enough to just carry the RF binos. By the last week of elk season last year, September, I found myself leaving the single item RF binos at the truck and carrying the two seperate rf and binos. The Victories were excellent glass and could range anything I could see but I found them hard to manipulate in the heat of the moment and tiring to carry around my neck.

This year I plan on carrying seperate items. Going with my leica crf 1200 and a pair of Ziess conquest HD 10x42.

Dont get me wrong i like the one item idea but man did those big binos get heavy. Bottom line for me.

I am going to have to disagree with the one item option.

OP
cmeier117

cmeier117

WKR
For those that use the combo. What type of harness do you recommend? Since you need it all the time I would think you would need a chest rig that isn't bulky?