Ramshot Magnum Data for 200Gr ELD-X .300 WM ??

Fellow Roksliders,

New 300 Win Mag in my hands, naturally I want to develop a new round (Bergara Wilderness Ridge 24 inch barrel .300 WM)

I can get 200gr EDL-X readily over others (lets not go down that rabbit hole) suffice to say I'm making this work with ELD-X

I've tried a few powders H4350 and H4831) but I really want to try Ramshot Magnum; here begins my problem

Go too the Hornady Site for .300 WM 200gr ELD-X and they dont list Ramshot Magnum
Go to the Ramshot Magnum site, they dont list 200gr ELDX

So I started my load development based on 200 grain Nosler Partition rates listed on Ramshot Magnum chart 76-84 grains. Went out and shot them, OOOOF couldn't break 2100 FPS .... Goal 275-2900 fps Scared to start putting more than 84 grains and getting compaction in the case... am i just over pressure even at my lowest end and need to go down the chart, or do I go up the chart? I did not notice any danger signs with the case or bolt lock.

Please help a guy out; understand im New AF to reading, so be gentile hahahaha.

Cheers.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Post this in the reloading forum

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bdan68

WKR
I would say your chronograph is giving incorrect readings. If not, how are you weighing your powder charges? Could your scale be off? There's no way you're using 84 grains of Ramshot Magnum and not even getting 2100 fps. So check your scale and/or your chronograph. And no, I wouldn't go over 84 grains. There should be no need to.

OP
CPL Finwick
Thanks FireNelk, however this is that data I'm mentioning in my post, it does not cover the Hdy ELD-X 200 gr. it only shows Partition and BTSP in 200 gr. That's why I sent this post out, to see if anyone had something worked up that would put me in the ball park specific to Hdy ELD-X 200gr, unless you are seeing something in that PDF that im missing?

Cheers!

OP
CPL Finwick
I would say your chronograph is giving incorrect readings. If not, how are you weighing your powder charges? Could your scale be off? There's no way you're using 84 grains of Ramshot Magnum and not even getting 2100 fps. So check your scale and/or your chronograph. And no, I wouldn't go over 84 grains. There should be no need to.
Bdan68, thanks for the comment sir; yea idk I will go back out and re try with my Chrono. That day I also ran H4350 and H4381 and got within 30fps of what the Hornady reload book shows for gr charge and fps results expected (Right around 2700 and 2800 fps at almost max charge) with the same chrono set up, within ten min of those powders I tried the RamShot Mag, with nothing over 2100 FPS.. This is why im stumped..

I used the same scale to weigh all my charges, a digital glass case lab scale that reads to thousandths. I checked scale against a Lyman Reload Digital scale and was within .005 from the one I used. I think I will pull a few of those apart and double check the weight to make sure I wasn't on the sauce to heavy that day or something hahah.

Thanks for the feedback, I am trying to reverse engineer what happened with that load, because I feel the same way, in no world should I pack 84gr and not get at least 2500-2900 fps.

To be continued, thanks so much for the reply cheers!

bdan68

WKR
Bdan68, thanks for the comment sir; yea idk I will go back out and re try with my Chrono. That day I also ran H4350 and H4381 and got within 30fps of what the Hornady reload book shows for gr charge and fps results expected (Right around 2700 and 2800 fps at almost max charge) with the same chrono set up, within ten min of those powders I tried the RamShot Mag, with nothing over 2100 FPS.. This is why im stumped..

I used the same scale to weigh all my charges, a digital glass case lab scale that reads to thousandths. I checked scale against a Lyman Reload Digital scale and was within .005 from the one I used. I think I will pull a few of those apart and double check the weight to make sure I wasn't on the sauce to heavy that day or something hahah.

Thanks for the feedback, I am trying to reverse engineer what happened with that load, because I feel the same way, in no world should I pack 84gr and not get at least 2500-2900 fps.

To be continued, thanks so much for the reply cheers!
Well then, it sure sounds like there's no issue with your chronograph, since you're getting the expected velocities with other powders. And sounds like your scale is good too. So I don't know. I just know I wouldn't be loading too much over the 84 grain max load shown in Ramshot's load data.

OP
CPL Finwick
Well then, it sure sounds like there's no issue with your chronograph, since you're getting the expected velocities with other powders. And sounds like your scale is good too. So I don't know. I just know I wouldn't be loading too much over the 84 grain max load shown in Ramshot's load data.
Yea, I figured I would jump on here and just see if anyone else has loaded a 300 WM 200gr ELD-X with the Magnum and had something to compare to.

This may be a stupid question, but gr wt should be the same if it extruded or spherical correct? Like that shouldn't make a difference as long as the scale says "74gr" so forth?

Next step, pull a few apart and see if if that gives me an answer.

Thanks for the quick replies and your time.

bdan68

WKR
Yeah the weight is the weight, doesn't matter what type of powder. Starting load is 76.0 grains, and with that you should be around 2,700 fps. Often the actual velocity you get will be a little less than the load data indicates, but not nearly as much difference as you're seeing.

One other question, what primers are you using?

OP
CPL Finwick
Yeah the weight is the weight, doesn't matter what type of powder. Starting load is 76.0 grains, and with that you should be around 2,700 fps. Often the actual velocity you get will be a little less than the load data indicates, but not nearly as much difference as you're seeing.

One other question, what primers are you using?
Ok, that makes sense, just trying to rule out things that I just dont have experience with yet, and no friends around me that reload.

I am using CCI Large Rifle Magnum Primers #250

FireNelk

FNG
Thanks FireNelk, however this is that data I'm mentioning in my post, it does not cover the Hdy ELD-X 200 gr. it only shows Partition and BTSP in 200 gr. That's why I sent this post out, to see if anyone had something worked up that would put me in the ball park specific to Hdy ELD-X 200gr, unless you are seeing something in that PDF that im missing?

Cheers!
Nope your right. It was the same for my load data for my 300 PRC. But I used the data they had for a 200 gr Barnes TTSX. Started with mid load the worked it up from there. You might try the same for for yours.

2100 fps is way off. I use 81 grains of Ramshot Magnum with a 181 Hammer Hunter and it's right at 3000 fps. Mild easy shooting load. Puts 5 shots in a ragged hole. First shot was a clean barrel fouling shot. Next 5 stacked in nicely. The 200 grain Eld-x being 19 grains heavier and having more bearing surface should max out at 83 to 84 grains and be in the 2850 range for sure.

Attachments

• 20201106_150755.jpg
    20201106_150755.jpg
    316.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 20201105_165258.jpg
    20201105_165258.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 16
OP
CPL Finwick
2100 fps is way off. I use 81 grains of Ramshot Magnum with a 181 Hammer Hunter and it's right at 3000 fps. Mild easy shooting load. Puts 5 shots in a ragged hole. First shot was a clean barrel fouling shot. Next 5 stacked in nicely. The 200 grain Eld-x being 19 grains heavier and having more bearing surface should max out at 83 to 84 grains and be in the 2850 range for sure.
I agree, that's why I got worried and decided to start a thread; just doesn't seem to add up. I wonder if having my chronograph to close to my rifle would give me any skew?

At any rate, thanks for the reply, good to know its working for someone!

Cheers

TX Droid

FNG
I shoot a Bergara MGLite .300 WM and load RS Magnum 83.5 with 200 gr ELDX rounds exclusively. I am getting 2935 FPS with an average 11fps variance. I had trouble with my chronograph also initially because there was a roof over our shooting table. I moved it out away from the structure, about 10 yrds, and it showed the more accurate speed first shot. Not sure it that is your issue, but solved my problem.