Rain gear for CO early rifle

ChrisA

WKR
First timer for early rifle above tree line in Colorado. Lots of searches but still can't decide on an answer. Have base layer, mid and uncompahgre puffer but can't decide on outer shell. Nearly pulled trigger on a Chugach pants and jacket but thought they might be too heavy, so Sitka Dewpoint is on my radar also.

I have a cheap set of rain gear I got with a Bushel scope years ago but it's fairly heavy and it soaks though after 30 minutes of rain.

I'm somewhat utilitarian so this rain gear purchase will be with me a while and multipurpose.

Appreciate any insight,

Thanks,

Chris

ChrisAU

WKR
I got a FL Stormlight jacket in Dry Earth so I could use it as my every day rain jacket too. Last year i got some Kuiu Teton rain pants for cheap in Kuiu’s outlet - they are Verde but they’ll only ever be used for hunting so it’s ok. Pants and jacket together ha just over a pound.

For when I’m not expecting Very much rain I picked up a OR Helium 2 jacket in coyote. Pairing that with a DWR softshell pant. It’s very light no frills, but works for a higher altitude passing shower. I’m also considering a kifaru sheep tarp to set up for glassing under if the weather rolls in. That may be a problem for you above the tree line, but if you’re carrying trekking poles you can use those to pitch the tarp, and sit under until the showers pass. When I’m hunting closer to western Washington where rain is expected, I am going to use my Yukon Jacket and Chugach pants.

I’ve used Browning Hell’s Canyon packable rain pants and jacket for the last few years. They work great. I think I got both from Rogers sporting goods for $99 each

SoCal Rob

FNG
I stayed dry all day wearing Kryptek Poseidon 2 Jacket and pants. Not entirely windproof though so I added a windstopper mid layer the next day. That combination worked great.

Jsunkler

Lil-Rokslider
I brought Cabela's Space Rain Jacket and Pants for CO first rifle, never needed them but it was a nice assurance to have in the pack with mixed weather reports. Next time I go for first rifle, I will leave the pants and bring a light pair of gaiters instead.

worx53

WKR
I brought Cabela's Space Rain Jacket and Pants for CO first rifle, never needed them but it was a nice assurance to have in the pack with mixed weather reports. Next time I go for first rifle, I will leave the pants and bring a light pair of gaiters instead.
what he said--we leave the pants(we do check the forecast in case there a real mess coming) but usually Colorado is just a passing storm and we pack jackets only!

Most of my stuff is Sitka but when it's raining I'm always rocking the chugach. Funny thing I've never pulled it out during first rifle. Either been sunny or snowing when I've been there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I've been using the king's camo rain jacket for a few years. It has four-way stretch, breathes decently, fairly light, and hasn't gotten me wet. I believe it was about $100.

I've really been impressed with the Kryptek rain gear. So much so that I just took advantage of their Altitude sale and upgraded to their Takur gear. I used the Koldo rain gear last year and it was flawless. Wind proof, ans super tough to where I started every morning already in the gear. I live on the Oregon coast, so wet is pretty much a given at any time whether its raining sideways, or heavy dew that will soak you to the bone in two minutes of pushing timber. I'm probably going to list the Koldo gear and gaiters (Highlander Pattern) in the classifieds since the Altitude pattern has more green in it for our lovely rain-forest we have here.

Last edited:
I never bring rain paints. Just gaiters. I use Columbia outdry extreme jacket. Forget model but it 8.8 oz

ChrisAU

WKR
I never bring rain paints. Just gaiters. I use Columbia outdry extreme jacket. Forget model but it 8.8 oz

Seriously considering dropping the rain pants, probably a game time decision at the truck. Even though the tetons are only 5.9 oz.

prm

WKR
Ive never needed rain pants during rifle seasons. Occasionally useful during archery. I have a light packable rain jacket (old inexpensive Kuiu model no longer produced) that also serves as a wind jacket. Always check the forecast, but rain gear is rarely a necessity in CO.
If there is precipitation during 1st rifle, there’s a good chance it will be snow if at or above timberline.

Jimss

WKR
If you want the very best...and don't want to buy another set of raingear later down the road buy either Kuiu or Sitka.....period....end of story!

They both have life time warrantees. I've been abusing my Sitka raingear for around 15 years and they still shed water and are a great additional layer to cut wind. Make sure what ever jacket you buy has pitzips or you will get wet from the inside out!

I've also had super luck with Marmot Precip in Colo, Wyo, and even Alaska. I'd say they are a close 2nd to Sitka or Kuiu for breathability/waterproofness at a fraction of the price. An Alaska buddy of mine used Cabelas brand and ended up getting soaked...and borrowed my back up pair of Marmot and stayed totally dry! I have 2 sets of Marmots because they were only $50 each at Sierra Trading....and work so well.

I've lived and hunted Colo for the past 35 years and seldom leave camp without rain pants in my pack during rifle season. It can rain or snow any day during all of the rifle seasons (especially above 8,000') and if the brush/grass is wet you are somewhat screwed. The weather can change in a flash and it can get nasty in a hurry...especially at higher elevation!

rgrmike

Lil-Rokslider
Drop the rain pants. Just get a lightweight rain jacket that will go over all of your layers. Easy day.

Seriously considering dropping the rain pants, probably a game time decision at the truck. Even though the tetons are only 5.9 oz.

I wear gaiters so really it only knee upper thigh that could get wet. What’s the point of high end fabric pants if they don’t dry quick. If I was above treeline where I can’t find a tree I would rethink it.